Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 05-03-2013, 11:07 AM   #1
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Sony filenames

Now that I also have a Kobo Glo and noticed the difference, if possible I'd like the Sony filenames to be the same. When I transfer books to the Sony, they're always listed with the Calibre ID number at the end, such as Stonehenge Legacy, The - Sam Christer_1705.epub.

Is there anyway to avoid the _1705 appended to the filename on the Sony?
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 11:29 AM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
How are you transferring the books? Assuming you are using Calibre then they should not have the number appended unless you have that explicitly specified in the 'Send to Device' template for sending the files to the Sony (you can check that under the settings for the Sony Device Interface plugin).
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-03-2013, 11:36 AM   #3
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes, all books are transferred only through Calibre. On the Device Interface Plugin, under the save template for the Sony, only this is entered:

{author_sort}/{title} - {authors}
Old 05-03-2013, 11:36 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
How are you transferring the books? Assuming you are using Calibre then they should not have the number appended unless you have that explicitly specified in the 'Send to Device' template for sending the files to the Sony (you can check that under the settings for the Sony Device Interface plugin).
I see no place to uncheck to stop the number from being added. Where exactly is this option?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 11:57 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It's curious that the Calibre ID should be appended. It's not on any of the devices that I use with Calibre.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-03-2013, 12:06 PM   #6
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
Yes, all books are transferred only through Calibre. On the Device Interface Plugin, under the save template for the Sony, only this is entered:

{author_sort}/{title} - {authors}
I checked my Sony and I also have the number appended. I guess then maybe you cannot suppress this without changing the source for the device driver? I must admit I never notice it as I always browse my books via the Sony UI.
Old 05-03-2013, 12:07 PM   #7
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder

I thought it was just the normal way Calibre always sent filenames to devices until I got the Kobo Glo, but maybe it's something quirky with just Sonys, or I'm doing something horribly wrong is always a possibility!
Old 05-03-2013, 12:14 PM   #8
itimpi
Wizard

Quote:
I thought it was just the normal way Calibre always sent filenames to devices until I got the Kobo Glo, but maybe it's something quirky with just Sonys, or I'm doing something horribly wrong is always a possibility!
I suspect it is an artefact of the Sony driver to help it with matching books in the Calibre database. The books are certainly still handled correctly by the Sony even if sent outside Calibre with different names as the Sony UI works off the metadata embedded in the epub files.
Old 05-03-2013, 06:59 PM   #9
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
Doesn't happen for me with a T1 as far as I can see, so possibly it is a 350 and 950 thing (going by the devices mentioned in the posters' profiles).

Or maybe I have just done something clever that I am not clever enough to know what it is that I have done ?
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 09:02 PM   #10
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder

You won't see the appended ID numbers on the Sony device at all, everything works exactly as it should. When you use explorer to take a look at the device drive, you'll see it there as the actual file names.

I wonder if it's something that will ever be changed in the future, to not append those ID numbers, or if it is required for Calibre to correctly keep the database in sync between device and desktop when it comes to the Sony.
Old 05-03-2013, 09:47 PM   #11
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Now that I also have a Kobo Glo and noticed the difference, if possible I'd like the Sony filenames to be the same. When I transfer books to the Sony, they're always listed with the Calibre ID number at the end, such as Stonehenge Legacy, The - Sam Christer_1705.epub.

Is there anyway to avoid the _1705 appended to the filename on the Sony?
I have to admit I haven't used vanilla Sony firmware in a long time. I use PRS+ on my 950 and 350s. I had to jump through several hoops just to find the actual file name. Even using their browse by folders option showed me metadata not file names. It's no wonder I never knew after all these years that the file name has the book id attached. How is it that the filename stands out enough to catch your eye?

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 05-04-2013 at 02:04 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 11:14 PM   #12
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
You won't see the appended ID numbers on the Sony device at all, everything works exactly as it should. When you use explorer to take a look at the device drive, you'll see it there as the actual file names.

I wonder if it's something that will ever be changed in the future, to not append those ID numbers, or if it is required for Calibre to correctly keep the database in sync between device and desktop when it comes to the Sony.
I assume you are responding to me?

If so, for the sake of clarity I was referring to when browsing the folders on the device itself with Windows Explorer; I kinda thought that would be understood. When doing so no numbers are appended to the file names at all.

Can you confirm that you saw numbers appended on a T1?
Old 05-03-2013, 11:28 PM   #13
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
It's not going to be changed, those id numbers are there for robustness.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 01:03 AM   #14
AnotherCat

The following is assuming my T1 is not doing something weird and not showing the numbers on file names when it actually should be.

I assume the T1 (and T2) does not require them for the robustness referred to, as it seems to me that Calibre can rely on the self managed SQL databases on the reader. From earlier discussions (when there were some .db corruption issues during loading/unloading) when Calibre loads/unloads books to these devices it updates these appropriately itself.

I am not very familiar with the on device file structure on the PRS-x50 series but I think they do not manage their books in such a manner.
Old 05-04-2013, 01:06 AM   #15
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
The T1/T2 use an entirely different driver from the older models, one that I dont maintain, so I have no comments them.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote