Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-29-2011, 08:58 AM   #1
jascu
jascu began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Book search in kobo shop is miserable!

Hi @all,

i received a Kobo Touch for Christmas and after playing with it for a few days, I found something very annoying!

On my Kobo Touch with the latest firmware, i open the shop and use the search function... so far so good, lets say I am looking for books about "Python Programming" I type in word "Python" and the searchbar shows me some suggestions like for instance "Python in a nutshell" , okay not what I am looking for, but lets search it.. I get 886 results for a single title of a book, but nothing related to it!..
If i only type in "Python" it don't find anything.. It is not related to the word Python, it happens on every word i search for.

The search is useless and broke!

Does anyone have this issue?

Also I found a book in the categories: Computer>Programming>C & C++>C++ section that cost over 14.600.00 Euros! Wow, there are some major issues with this kobo reader...

The book is called: OpenCV 2 Computer Vision Application Programming Cookbook - Robert Lageniere
jascu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 12:26 PM   #2
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
Yeah I find the search isn't all that great, what we really need is an advanced search button, if you type in Grisham you get 37 results, which is 12 more books than he wrote, but the author did have the same last name so that is fine.

Now if you search John Grisham you get 139558 results. I agree that this really needs to be fixed.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-29-2011, 01:12 PM   #3
paulsalter
Fanatic
paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD8
sounds like this works the same as the web site version

with the above example

searching for john grisham searches for either of these 2 words giving a large result

instead try "john grisham" with the quotes or alternately you could search for john +grisham which tells it to search for both words

i tried searching for python and got 50 results
paulsalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 09:15 AM   #4
msxman
Enthusiast
msxman began at the beginning.

Device: kobo vox, kindle 2
Totally agree on the search stinkage! I hate to say it, but 90% of the time I browse authors and recommendations on Amazon's site until I find exactly what I want, then see if Kobo has it.
msxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 09:33 AM   #5
46jimbo
Zealot
46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.

Device: Kobo Touch + Kobo Aura
Heed paulsalter's advice and use quotation marks to keep words together as a unit. This has always been the rule for Google searches too. Otherwise, you will get, as in his example, every author named John!
46jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-31-2011, 12:33 PM   #6
vice-versa
whippet addict
vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura 6", Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Aura One, Kobo Sage
I agree too that the search in the Kobo website is painfull at least and as msxman, I search in Amazon, then go to Kobo to find what I'm looking for (using quotes, and sometimes, it doesn't work either, never could find why...). One more thing that drives me mad with the zone restrictions : I can understand it when a book is not available in my zone, but when I search one book and gets the answer : none found with your criteria and then search google with kobobooks + my title (or my author) and get on a page where it's clearly explain that the book is not available for Europe, I'd like to know if the Kobo men think I'm too weak to stand such a piece of news the first time I searched... And looking in the FNAC website (where I'm "supposed" to look in) is even worse : some books available for France at Kobo website squarely don't exist there (though I was told they henceforth shared the same catalog by the vendor at the FNAC shop where I bougt my device...), if you go to the english books section, it's impossible to sort books by genre, you just can sort by title, author or best-selling...
vice-versa is offline   Reply With Quote