Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 02-21-2012, 04:57 PM   #76
jaredv
jaredv began at the beginning.

Device: nook color
Hello, in the last few weeks it seems as if the Goodreads metadata plugin has not been retrieving any metadata. I am using the both the latest version of Calibre 0.8.40 and the latest version of the goodreads metadata plugin 1.0.9. Whenever I retrieve metadata, I receive back results from Barnes & Noble, Amazon, as well as the other sources I am using; however, I do not get any results from Goodreads. This is true, even if I had previously retieved metadata from Goodreads and the Goodreads identifier is already listed, or if I manually enter the Goodreads identifier.
I have also had a few books created by goodreads authors, that are not available from other places. I have listed the goodreads identifer manually and the metadata still is not retrieved. I only get a response that no metadata was found.
I have been logged into the Goodreads website when trying to download the metadata.
I know that Goodreads recently changed the source of their metadata and no longer gets a feed from Amazon. Has this effected the plugin? Has the way metadata is handled changed, and the plugin needs to be changed to accomidate it?

Thanks in advance for your assistance and prompt response.

Jared
jaredv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 06:21 PM   #77
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
@jaredv - welcome to MobileRead.

I haven't had any problems with it, and I just tried it right now and it was fine. And no the Amazon/Goodreads relationship hasn't directly affected this plugin - other than there are some goodreads ids that have disappeared for some books, and covers that were missing while they reloaded more.

Give some specific goodreads id examples, also post the contents of your log in a spoiler. Make double sure you do have the Goodreads plugin enabled of course . In fact try just having the Goodreads plugin enabled to make sure all output is only related to that.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-21-2012, 09:07 PM   #78
jaredv

Test of goodreads plugin

I tested the goodreads plugin with a few books. I started by using a book I had previously downloaded metadata to using the goodreads plugin. I retrieved the metadata again, and even with the goodreads identifier still there no goodreads results were presented. I had disabled all the other sources except for goodreads.
The book is The Structure of Magic II

Here is the results from trying to download the metada from Goodreads, with the identifier already present:

Spoiler:
calibre, version 0.8.40
ERROR: No matches found: <p>Failed to find any books that match your search. Try making the search <b>less specific</b>. For example, use only the author's last name and a single distinctive word from the title.<p>To see the full log, click Show Details.

Starting download
Query: title:The Structure of Magic II; authors:John Grinder & Richard Bandler; douban:2539780, amazon:0831400498, isbn:9780831400491, goodreads:821993
Running identify query with parameters:
{u'authors': [u'John Grinder', u'Richard Bandler'], u'identifiers': {u'douban': u'2539780', u'amazon': u'0831400498', u'isbn': u'9780831400491', u'goodreads': u'821993'}, u'timeout': 30, u'title': u'The Structure of Magic II'}
Using plugins: Goodreads
The log from individual plugins is below

****************************** Goodreads ******************************
Request extra headers: [('User-agent', 'Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; MSIE 9.0; Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; Trident/5.0)')]
Found 0 results
Downloading from Goodreads took 1.0803771019
Goodreads book url: u'http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/821993'
Could not find title/authors/goodreads id for u'http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/821993'
Goodreads: u'821993' Title: 'The Structure of Magic II: A Book About Communication and Change (Book 2)' Authors: None

************************************************** ******************************
The identify phase took 1.24 seconds
The longest time (1.080377) was taken by: Goodreads
Merging results from different sources and finding earliest publication dates from the xisbn service
We have 0 merged results, merging took: 0.00 seconds

Clicking on the goodreads identifier link in the details page before attempting to redownload the metadata correctly took me to the goodreads page for the book. Which is:

With all the other sources enabled: Barnes & Noble, Amazon, Doubian, etc. The metadata downloaded correctly from the other sources except goodreads.

I tried a 2nd Ebook. This was an Ebook I downloaded from my Barnes & Noble nook library, and imported directly into Calibre from the BN site.
The book is the Sisterhood of Dune by Brian Herbert, Kevin J. Anderson.
The only metadata that importated into Calibre was the title, author, and publisher.
Once the ebook was in Calibre, I disabled the plugins for all the metadata sources except Goodreads and downladed the metadata. I received the No Metadata found error. Details below. However copying the search URLS listed and pasting them in a web browser brings up the correct book. Renabling the rest of the sources, correctly downloaded metadata from those sources. Except for goodreads.

Downloading metadata with only Goodreads enabled:

Spoiler:
calibre, version 0.8.40
ERROR: No matches found: <p>Failed to find any books that match your search. Try making the search <b>less specific</b>. For example, use only the author's last name and a single distinctive word from the title.<p>To see the full log, click Show Details.

Starting download
Query: title:Sisterhood of Dune; authors:Brian Herbert & Kevin J. Anderson
{u'authors': [u'Brian Herbert', u'Kevin J. Anderson'], u'identifiers': {}, u'timeout': 30, u'title': u'Sisterhood of Dune'}

Request extra headers: [('User-agent', 'Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; MSIE 9.0; Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; Trident/5.0)')]
Found 0 results
Downloading from Goodreads took 1.44699001312
Querying: http://www.goodreads.com/search?sear...e=books&search[query]=Sisterhood+of+Dune+Brian+Herbert
Examining up to 7 editions: http://www.goodreads.com/work/editions/15313650
No matches found with query: u'http://www.goodreads.com/search?search_type=books&search[query]=Sisterhood+of+Dune+Brian+Herbert'

************************************************** ******************************
The identify phase took 1.64 seconds
The longest time (1.446990) was taken by: Goodreads
Merging results from different sources and finding earliest publication dates from the xisbn service

Finally after downloading the metadata for sisterhood of dune from all the other sources. I dow it a second time with all of the sources enabled including goodreads, knowing that more information about the book would be available then just the title and author. Again goodreads did not successfully return metadata but the log showed slightly different results:

Spoiler:
Found 0 results
Downloading from Goodreads took 2.90368914604
Querying: http://www.goodreads.com/search?sear...e=books&search[query]=9781429986571
ISBN match location: u'http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/12904336-sisterhood-of-dune'
Goodreads book url: u'http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/12904336-sisterhood-of-dune'
Could not find title/authors/goodreads id for u'http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/12904336-sisterhood-of-dune'
Goodreads: u'12904336' Title: 'Sisterhood of Dune' Authors: None

I hope this all helps out.

Thanks,
Jared
Old 02-22-2012, 05:53 AM   #79
kiwidude
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@Jared - perfect response thanks, exactly the sort of stuff I can make use of. Looking at the logs you displayed:
Code:
Could not find title/authors/goodreads id for u'http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/12904336-sisterhood-of-dune'
There is logic in the plugin that says if it can't find *all* of a goodreads id, title and authors as the result of scraping a web page then it aborts returning any results, displaying that first error line. The line underneath displays what it did manage to find - which as you can see is that while it got the goodreads id and title, it did not manage to detect the authors for that book.

Now it could well be that Goodreads have made a small change to their web page which is causing that issue. It is interesting that when I tried it last night I did not have that problem, though it could be like other websites have done in the past that the new website changes had not yet been globally rolled out and we were hitting web servers delivering different versions of the page.

Probably won't have time to look at this tonight but certainly will tomorrow night - thanks for the details, it greatly helps.
Old 02-22-2012, 12:14 PM   #80
jaredv

@kiwidude I am glad I could help. Thanks for your quick response. Please let me know if I can be of any assitance to you for anything else.
Advert
Old 02-22-2012, 04:46 PM   #81
kiwidude

@jaredv - I have just given that exact goodreads id for Sisterhood of Dune a go and it works perfectly for me (from the UK - where are you?). Perhaps there is some sort of regional web server issue going on. Or maybe like Kovid faced with Amazon there is some sort of other issue? I never did look at his code to see exactly what he changed on that.

No-one else has reported an issue - perhaps a few other users could try for that book. Just create an empty book, set the identifiers to be goodreads:12904336, disable the other metadata download plugins and then do a metadata download to see whether it works or not.

Just for the record jaredv, this is what I get back:
Spoiler:

Starting download
Query: title:Sisterhood of Dune; authors:Herbert, Brian; goodreads:12904336
{u'authors': [u'Herbert, Brian'], u'identifiers': {u'goodreads': u'12904336'}, u'timeout': 30, u'title': u'Sisterhood of Dune'}

Request extra headers: [('User-agent', 'Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US) AppleWebKit/532.5 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/4.0.249.78 Safari/532.5')]
Found 1 results
Downloading from Goodreads took 2.50899982452

---
Title : Sisterhood of Dune
Author(s) : Brian Herbert & Kevin J. Anderson
Publisher : Tom Doherty Associates
Tags : Science Fiction, Fantasy
Rating : 3.6
Published : 2012-01-03T00:00:00+00:00
Identifiers : isbn:9781429986571, goodreads:12904336
Comments :
It is eighty-three years after the last of the thinking machines were destroyed in the Battle of Corrin, after Faykan Butler took the name of Corrino and established himself as the first Emperor of a new Imperium. Great changes are brewing that will shape and twist all of humankind. The war hero Vorian Atreides has turned his back on politics and Salusa Secundus. The descendants of Abulurd Harkonnen Griffen and Valya have sworn vengeance against Vor, blaming him for the downfall of their fortunes. Raquella Berto-Anirul has formed the Bene Gesserit School on the jungle planet Rossak as the first Reverend Mother. The descendants of Aurelius Venport and Norma Cenva have built Venport Holdings, using mutated, spice-saturated Navigators who fly precursors of Heighliners. Gilbertus Albans, the ward of the hated Erasmus, is teaching humans to become Mentats…and hiding an unbelievable secret. The Butlerian movement, rabidly opposed to all forms of “dangerous technology,” is led by Manford Torondo and his devoted Swordmaster, Anari Idaho. And it is this group, so many decades after the defeat of the thinking machines, which begins to sweep across the known universe in mobs, millions strong, destroying everything in its path. Every one of these characters, and all of these groups, will become enmeshed in the contest between Reason and Faith. All of them will be forced to choose sides in the inevitable crusade that could destroy humankind forever….

Goodreads book url: u'http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/12904336'

The identify phase took 2.60 seconds
The longest time (2.509000) was taken by: Goodreads
We have 1 merged results, merging took: 0.51 seconds
Old 02-22-2012, 05:47 PM   #82
tilia
Evangelist
tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, K3
Sisterhood of Dune

I'm in Norway, and had no problem downloading metadata from Goodreads for that id.
tilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 12:16 AM   #83
ElizabethN
reader, ebook junkie
ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: in use kindle oasis 2nd and 3rd gen, kobo forma, boox poke5
No problem from Nebraska (about 10pm MST) for that goodreads id.
ElizabethN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 12:27 AM   #84
GMFuller
Connoisseur
GMFuller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GMFuller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GMFuller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GMFuller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GMFuller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GMFuller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GMFuller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GMFuller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GMFuller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GMFuller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GMFuller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
It works from BC, Canada (9:30PM PST).
GMFuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 03:01 AM   #85
kiwidude

Thanks very much folks - jaredv, don't know what to tell you as clearly I am not alone in it working for me .

When I get time I will send you a special build which will save the html that the plugin finds to a file, so I can compare it to what I am seeing.
Old 02-23-2012, 06:28 PM   #86
jaredv

@kiwidude I will try what you described with the empty book and the goodreads ID. I am in the US in NY State.
Old 02-23-2012, 07:34 PM   #87
jaredv

@kiwidude : I created an empty book, and did not put the author or title in the book, just the goodreads id you gave me. It still did not successfully retrieve the metadata. You can see the results below. I did notice that it successfully resolved the book title, but not the author.
All my other metadata sources were disabled. I tried to download just the cover as well, and nothing was returned.

Spoiler:
calibre, version 0.8.40

Starting download
Query: title:Unknown; authors:Unknown; goodreads:12904336
{u'authors': None, u'identifiers': {u'goodreads': u'12904336'}, u'timeout': 30, u'title': None}

Request extra headers: [('User-agent', 'Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US) AppleWebKit/532.5 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/4.0.249.78 Safari/532.5')]
Found 0 results
Downloading from Goodreads took 4.57861399651
Could not find title/authors/goodreads id for u'http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/12904336'

The identify phase took 4.70 seconds
The longest time (4.578614) was taken by: Goodreads

After not being successful not retrieving the metadata with the completly empty book and only the goodreads id; I looked at your data and put in the tite and author. Again i was unsucessful in downloading any metadata.

Spoiler:
calibre, version 0.8.40

Starting download
Query: title:Sisterhood of Dune; authors:Brian Herbert; goodreads:12904336
{u'authors': [u'Brian Herbert'], u'identifiers': {u'goodreads': u'12904336'}, u'timeout': 30, u'title': u'Sisterhood of Dune'}

Found 0 results
Downloading from Goodreads took 6.3580930233
Could not find title/authors/goodreads id for u'http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/12904336'

The identify phase took 6.44 seconds
The longest time (6.358093) was taken by: Goodreads

Looking more closely at your results and mine; I did notice two differences.

Spoiler:
Here is the log from your search:

Quote:
Starting download
Query: title:Sisterhood of Dune; authors:Herbert, Brian; goodreads:12904336
{u'authors': [u'Herbert, Brian'], u'identifiers': {u'goodreads': u'12904336'}, u'timeout': 30, u'title': u'Sisterhood of Dune'}
And here is the log from my search:

Quote:
Starting download
Query: title:Sisterhood of Dune; authors:Brian Herbert; goodreads:12904336
{u'authors': [u'Brian Herbert'], u'identifiers': {u'goodreads': u'12904336'}, u'timeout': 30, u'title': u'Sisterhood of Dune'}

It seems as if in the author search, your search was looking for author by LastName, FirstName and my search was looking for FirstName LastName

I have calibre configured to set the Author as FirstName LastName and the Author Sort to LastName, FirstName.

Attached is a screen cap of the author and title section from my Edit Metadata dialog box.

The only other 'unique' thing may be that I am using Ubuntu 11.10 for my operating system.

I hope this all helps. Feel free to send me a test plugin to try and get more info.

Thanks again for all your help.

Jared
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	calibreauthorsortscreenshot.png
Views:	536
Size:	19.9 KB
ID:	82949  
Old 02-23-2012, 07:38 PM   #88
jaredv

@kiwidude My only other thought about the author sort, is when I had 'unknown' author and title, the title was successfully found using the goodreads id, but not the author.

Thanks again.
Old 02-24-2012, 03:05 AM   #89
kiwidude

@jaredv - thanks but I'm afraid all that author stuff is a complete red herring. In the situation where a goodreads id is specified the plugin doesn't look at any of title or author (hence why my instructions above for others to test it said only to create the empty book and specify the id). The author name actually on your book is only used in the situation where the plugin has no isbn or goodreads id, and hence has to do a "search" against the goodreads site and match by title/author. Even in that situation author sort order does not matter as the plugin takes care of the permutations.

I need to see the actual html you are receiving back from Goodreads. You are a Windows user, right? Use the attached version of the plugin, which will write out a file called at c:\goodreads.html when you try the metadata download. Run it once for that same Sisterhood of Dune book above, then immediately put that in a zip and post or PM a link to it back to me. I will take a look to compare with what I see.

Last edited by kiwidude; 02-26-2012 at 04:13 AM. Reason: Removing attachment as purpose completed
Old 02-25-2012, 09:15 PM   #90
jaredv

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
@jaredv -... You are a Windows user, right? Use the attached version of the plugin, which will write out a file called at c:\goodreads.html when you try the metadata download.
@kiwidude

I am not using Windows. I am using linux, specifically Ubuntu 11.10.

Do you have hard coded paths in your plugin? Since I don't have a 'c drive' I did notice that the html output file was written in my home directory as a file named "c:\goodreads.html"

Here is the html output using the debug plugin you sent me.

Thanks for the time you are taking to resolve this.
Attached Files
File Type: zip sisterhoodofdunegoodreadshtml.zip (37.0 KB, 349 views)

Tags
goodreads, metadata