Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-27-2011, 10:28 AM   #1
icebreaker
icebreaker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.icebreaker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.icebreaker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.icebreaker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.icebreaker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.icebreaker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.icebreaker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.icebreaker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.icebreaker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.icebreaker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.icebreaker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: none
Stuff like this does not help ebook penetration.

I went looking for Pierre Berton books, on the off chance that some of them might be in eBook format.

I found one ( Vimy ) at Amazon which was nice.

Then I found this page ...

http://www.randomhouse.ca/author/res...?authorid=2215

$24.95 each for eBook editions! $24.95 each for books that, many of which, have been in print for 30 years or more. $24.95 each for the eBook editions of books that I can buy brand new in paperback form for about $9.00 or $3.00 in a used book store.

This was the sort of thing I kept seeing that put me off buying an eReader for a long time. Now having made the leap, I really like having the books in hand and available, but pricing like this is just nuts.

Am the only one out here that just shakes my head at this?
icebreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 10:35 AM   #2
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
Yeah. That's why I just get the free books from amazon and other publishers when they offer them. It's pretty upsetting though.
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-27-2011, 10:48 AM   #3
spellbanisher
Guru
spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle keyboard, kindle fire hd, S4, Nook hd+
I just looked up Pierre Burton at the U.S. amazon store and all but one of the ebook editions are 9.99, with one being 7.99. I don't think the inormation at random house is up to date.
spellbanisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 11:10 AM   #4
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
There are some titles at Kobo, and since they're non-Agency, you can use one of Kobo's frequent coupons.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 11:12 AM   #5
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
Ah. All this stuff about apple, HC and libraries have got me depressed now. It's been a while since I've heard of such desperate business strategies. It all seems so sudden.
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-27-2011, 11:25 AM   #6
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
I call that expensive free marketing for pirate torrents.
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 11:28 AM   #7
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
If you go to inkmesh.com and search for Vimy by Pierre Berton, you will find eight ebooks variously from Amazon, Sony, and Kobo (and others) for prices from $8 to $20 dollars.
If you search for Pierre Burton, you don't get anything by him. Perhaps there is a secret to doing author searches on Inkmesh.
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 11:29 AM   #8
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
Random House doesn't follow the Agency Pricing model so what you see listed on their page is going to be the Suggested Retail Price. Nearly every retailer is going to discount down from that.

If Amazon doesn't have them buy from Kobo, use a discount code for an additional 30% off, and then convert them to the Kindle.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 01:08 PM   #9
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by pholy View Post
If you go to inkmesh.com and search for Vimy by Pierre Berton, you will find eight ebooks variously from Amazon, Sony, and Kobo (and others) for prices from $8 to $20 dollars.
If you search for Pierre Burton, you don't get anything by him. Perhaps there is a secret to doing author searches on Inkmesh.
Maybe Inkmesh doesn't have a "sounds like" search. The author's last name is spelled "Berton", and if you spell it correctly, Vimy shows up.
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 02:36 PM   #10
HamsterRage
Evangelist
HamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notes

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by pholy View Post
One secret would be to spell the name correctly.
HamsterRage is offline   Reply With Quote