Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 06-03-2011, 07:19 AM   #16
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
Actually, you said for issue 581 that you didn't like the idea of macro possibilities and set it to 'won't fix'.
Macros no, but scripting yes. Admittedly, there could be a fine line between the two, depending on your perspective.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 03:12 PM   #17
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valloric View Post
Who says I won't implement a scripting option? There was a thread a while back about adding a scripting language to Sigil, and I agreed it was a good idea. I wanted to bring in Python. But other needs came first, and this feature was postponed.

It's still very much an idea I look forward to implementing. My current idea for Sigil's future is to get it to an "IDE for epub" state; power users need the power, but you still need to keep things simple for the average user.

I still think about this feature every now and then. The scripting language will probably be pure JavaScript since Nokia is pushing it hard as "the" scripting language for Qt apps. So there's support for it directly in the framework.

Frankly, it shouldn't be too hard to leverage the Qt JS support and build a scripting framework on top of it in Sigil. Pretty much all I'd need to do is provide an API for accessing the text of all the content files in the epub, and then let people use raw JS functionality on top of it for whatever work they need done. With raw access to the content of all the files, you can get a lot done. A nice UI for this will be most of the work; a new "Scripts" side pane (kind of like a Book Browser, but for scripts) and buttons/menus/actions for running the code. Editing the scripts would just be new tabs in the main pane.

Further on, I'd need to add API's for file creation/renaming/moving etc within the EPUB archive, but that wouldn't be too hard.

Since JavaScriptCore is the JS engine used in Qt and JSC use PCRE internally for regex functionality, this would indirectly bring an oft-requested feature to Sigil.

All of this shouldn't take more than a week to add to Sigil, but I can't dedicate that time to this feature right now. There are more important issues in the queue, not the least of which is getting 0.4.0 stable. But if someone else expressed a desire to work on this feature, well... they'd have my full support.

I don't have the Fu to make it happen--but I'd contribute $$$ to make it happen. V, you kow how to find me if that possibility is open.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 02:51 AM   #18
abeonis
eBook DIYer
abeonis began at the beginning.

Device: K4, KF HD 8.9, Readium
Allo? Is there anybody out there since June 2011?

I personnally use AHK_L as my scripting language, it is very well suited for non developpers wanting to automate anything on a Windows machine.

But I need that the SW I want to automate allows me a minimum access to it.

An example of what I would like to do with Sigil from a batch file using Sigil commands:

1. Import a big HTML file (Assumed well coded)
2. Split it (instructions included in HTML)
3. Get metadata from an INI file
4. Create the TOC (NCX and HTML)
5. Run flightcrew and create a log file
6. Save epub and Exit

I could do all these things using AHK_L, it supports programming cursor moves, clicks and keyboard input. Not very professional.

If you call this procedure HTML2ePub. I could run it, integrated in a bigger script, like:

$> sigil.exe -rHTML2ePub -iINIfile.txt doit.xhtml > runlog.txt

It should be easy to implement it, you already have the code. Please, an effort for Christmas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valloric View Post
My current idea for Sigil's future is to get it to an "IDE for epub" state; power users need the power, but you still need to keep things simple for the average user.
Could you (or someone else) please let us know the status of this idea? Why limit it to ePub?, once you have a well done ePub, generating a mobi is a piece of cake. Please, think abundance.

Last edited by abeonis; 06-11-2013 at 03:22 AM.
abeonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 03:30 AM   #19
abeonis
eBook DIYer

BTW, I am not a developper. In exchange of HTML2ePub, I could translate Sigil user guide to spanish or french for free.
Old 06-11-2013, 05:03 AM   #20
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by abeonis View Post
It should be easy to implement it, you already have the code. Please, an effort for Christmas?
I really, really hate this kind of comments from non-developers. These kind of things are usually NOT easy.

Besides that, this is a very old thread. The developer of this thread is the original developer of Sigil and he is no longer working on it. There will be scripting some day, but to create plugins for additional functionality. What you want is command line options.
You can enter an enhancement request on the Sigil site.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 05:17 AM   #21
abeonis
eBook DIYer

Sorry Toxaris. I am not a professional developper but I am not anymore a novice, as I said I wrote amazing scripts with AHK_L including sexy GUI's. Beyond that, I spent my professional life (working for others and not for me) working for a US SW company in technical management positions at the european level. You do not impress me and I can estimate the effort required for small developments like this. Or maybe you don´t understand once more what I need?

Now, what do you really hate about me?

Last edited by abeonis; 06-11-2013 at 05:27 AM. Reason: Merde alors
Old 06-11-2013, 05:48 AM   #22
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Sorry Toxaris. I am not a professional developper but I am not anymore a novice, as I said I wrote amazing scripts with AHK_L including sexy GUI's. Beyond that, I spent my professional life (working for others and not for me) working for a US SW company in technical management positions at the european level. You do not impress me and I can estimate the effort required for small developments like this. Or maybe you don´t understand once more what I need?

With all due respect, almost everyone here uses AHK all the time. That's not unique to you, by any means. Toxaris is quite right; this is an old thread and the development of Sigil has moved in very different, other directions. I was fairly sure that I'd seen that you were quite delighted with Atlantis ePUB export feature. Doesn't that get you where you need to go, quite easily, with a simple AHK script?

Toxaris is a well-respected, HOBBYIST developer of macros and other items, as well as an eBookmaker himself. He's well-liked here. You are not doing yourself any favors by spitting in his face. As you can write quite amazing AHK scripts yourself, wouldn't it be better for you to simply automate the Atlantis WP functionality, as it suits you so well?

Hitch
Old 06-11-2013, 06:11 AM   #23
abeonis
eBook DIYer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
With all due respect, almost everyone here uses AHK all the time. That's not unique to you, by any means.
It is an evidence. Who said that?
Quote:
Toxaris is quite right; this is an old thread and the development of Sigil has moved in very different, other directions.
Thanks for the input
Quote:
I was fairly sure that I'd seen that you were quite delighted with Atlantis ePUB export feature. Doesn't that get you where you need to go, quite easily, with a simple AHK script?
Sure but wrong. I posted the results of my Atlantis eval in the appropriate thread. I ended only using the HTML generation tool and it is badly done and needs to be cleaned anyway. I am currently looking at the filtered HTML generated by MS-Word, it is free. It is evident that I continue with my AHK_L script and will get my own IDE soon or late. I am perseverant in spite of the obstacles.
Quote:
Toxaris is a well-respected, HOBBYIST developer of macros and other items, as well as an eBookmaker himself. He's well-liked here.
I have an assertive personnality. People treat me correctly and I am cool
Quote:
You are not doing yourself any favors by spitting in his face.
Obviously not. What I have to do, to shut up and say amen to everything?
Quote:
As you can write quite amazing AHK scripts yourself, wouldn't it be better for you to simply automate the Atlantis WP functionality, as it suits you so well?
Already answered this question and take note of your tone.
Old 06-11-2013, 06:13 AM   #24
abeonis
eBook DIYer

Hitch, by he way you are also a very respected person here and I am OK to take the risk
Old 06-11-2013, 06:43 AM   #25
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:

I have an assertive personnality. People treat me correctly and I am cool
I'm done with this. Good luck.

Hitch
Old 06-11-2013, 06:47 AM   #26
abeonis
eBook DIYer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Good luck.
Once more?
Old 06-11-2013, 07:45 AM   #27
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Quote:

I have nothing against you personally. Why would I? I do not know you.

I simply react on you reactions, if you feel personally attacked, that is saying more about you than about me. I always try to answer professionally and without prejudice. If I have a personal comment to make, I will make it offline.

My gripe was with the line:
Quote:
It should be easy to implement it, you already have the code.
. That is saying that driving is easy, since you have tires. It helps, but is no garantuee. Again it was not a personal attack, but more a general one.

I am not a professional developer, only an amateur. However, I have been for more than 25 years. I also have many contacts with real developers. I work in IT for my complete professional life, but not as a developer. Just as technology consultant and architect. I do know about software development and design. My experience in all those years actually are close to your comments and that is that people in (IT) management usually have no clue on the actual effort of impact a 'simple' request is. It is almost that if they understand it, it must be simple to implement.
Some changes are just not feasible without a complete redesign. I am talking about changes in general here, not specific ones. Also, the developer has an intention with the program. An enhancement request can give a developer another insight and see the need of it, but it is actually the decision of the developer whether it gets implemented. That is the difference between a company developer and a personal developer.
Especially when you request something to be run from command line when there actually might be a close dependency on GUI aspects. These kind of changes are complex, as there are many relations within the code to ensure that it is all valid.
It might be relative easy to implement, I cannot say for sure since I do not know the code or the inner working.

You say I don't impress you? Fine, that is not my intention at all. I don't care. You say you can estimate this kind of small development requests? I don't think so, since you are not aware of the impact.

Quote:
Or maybe you don´t understand once more what I need?
Who is attacking who? I do understand what you want, as I did understand in the other threads. That is not relevant to my reactions. See my change there? You want the change, you don't need it. You need air to breathe.
I understand your need. I doubt that the request will be accepted by the developers, but that is my opinion. You might be surprised. On the site of Sigil you can enter an issue and label it as an enhancement. You will be notified when it is changed. That is quite a normal way of working. If the developers will not do it, it may have various reasons. I can garantuee you that personal reasons are not part of them.

If you are happy with AHK, good for you. Everyone has their own workmethod and that is fine. We share ideas and workmethods and learn from each other. We do not push our methods to others. Sometimes things can just not be done in a certain way.

Respect us and we will respect you. If Jellby, Hitch and several others tell me things cannot be done, I accept that fully. They know their stuff.
I do like good discussions. Challenge me and I will accept. But keep it professional.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 08:09 AM   #28
abeonis
eBook DIYer

Yes. No challenge. Lunch time.