Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 04-10-2013, 04:45 PM   #16216
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Carolyn Keene (Mildred A Wirt) & C.E. Murphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
Killing Floor was so engrossing that I forgot to even begin reading Treachery in Outer Space so I'll read it along with my new selection, Vanishing Act, by Thomas Perry, the first book in the Jane Whitefield series!
Treachery in Outer Space was another fun Space Opera that I enjoyed immensely. Thomas Perry's Vanishing Act was really really great! I'm sure that I'll be reading more of these Jane Whitefield stories in the near future. Thanks a bunch to fantasyfan for posting this link to a freebie read of Michael Swanwick's short story, Slow Life. It was a good quick-read for between chapters.

Next up will be Mystery of the Brass-Bound Trunk (Nancy Drew #17) by Carolyn Keene and Thunderbird Falls (Walker Papers #2) by C.E. Murphy.

alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 06:09 PM   #16217
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
After you finish the Rex Stout books there are the Robert Goldsborough sequels, including the latest, Archie Meets Nero Wolfe: A Prequel to Rex Stout's Nero Wolfe Mysteries.

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/g/...-goldsborough/

Apache
Back in the days when "audiobook" meant cassette tapes, I had heard a couple of Goldsborough books. My library has a fair amount of the Wolfe canon via Overdrive, so it'll be a while before I get to the newer ones!
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 07:53 PM   #16218
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBookGuy View Post
Back in the days when "audiobook" meant cassette tapes, I had heard a couple of Goldsborough books. My library has a fair amount of the Wolfe canon via Overdrive, so it'll be a while before I get to the newer ones!
He appears to have stopped writing the followon Wolfe books in 1994, but has now written a new one, the Archie Meets Nero Wolfe that Apache mentioned. I recently read it, and rather enjoyed it, though I'm not sure it was quite as good as the best of Rex Stout's. (FWIW, Goldsborough wrote a different series, with Steve "Snap" Malek, a police reporter, that is set in NYC in the 30's and 40's.)
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 08:51 PM   #16219
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
They are definitely good, but Rex Stout was better. What do you expect. Stout was a genius.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 04:14 AM   #16220
Joy736
Addict
Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy736 View Post
Up next: Warm Bodies by Isaac Marion. I want to read this book, before I watch the movie.
I loved this book. I love the characters, the romance, loved everything and can't wait for the movie and the sequel to the book.
Next up: Across the Universe by Beth Revis
Joy736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 10:46 AM   #16221
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
Just finished reading The Shining Girls by Lauren Beukes. It's a great read that kept me in its grip till the last page. You can't really describe it since it has to be experienced for yourself. A mix of horror and thriller with a time travel twist. Haven't read anything quite like it before. Finished it in one sitting.
I tried to read her Moxyland after hearing her interviewed on a tech podcast I listen to. But, I just couldn't get into it.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 01:26 PM   #16222
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
Couldn't decide on what to read after The Hound of the Baskervilles, so I filled in the rest of today with some short stories I had on my Kindle. Jigsaw by Douglas Smith, The Moon is Green by Fritz Leiber, Rikki-Tikki-Tavi by Rudyard Kipling
I moved from short stories to some non-fiction - EntreLeadership by Dave Ramsey. He has some good, down to earth advice about being a leader, specifically of a small or growing business, but it can be applied to everyone. This one took me 2 full weeks to finish though so it really slowed down my pace for the year. (I did have an illness and a business trip during that time as mitigating factors.)

Then I read Slow Life by Michael Swanwick while deciding which longer story to read. An excellent "novelette" as recommended above by fantasyfan a few days ago.

I then continued my read of Randolph Lalonde's Spinward Fringe series with Broadcast 5: Fracture. I purchased this back in September 2011 and never got to it since it is part of an internal trilogy which wasn't ready at the time. I am really enjoying the story line in this series, but the timeline is too condensed for it to be believable. You can't get 1,000 people to all work together as an integrated team in less than 2 weeks and you can't train soldiers in that time and expect them to be effective. Still, the premise of the series is enough that I will probably continue, but I am going to take a break again.

Next up is A Clean Kill in Tokyo by Barry Eisler, previously published as Rain Fall. I have been wanting to read some more action/thriller books for a while, so this should scratch that itch.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 02:23 PM   #16223
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
Next up is A Clean Kill in Tokyo by Barry Eisler, previously published as Rain Fall. I have been wanting to read some more action/thriller books for a while, so this should scratch that itch.
The Rain series are pretty good - I've read them all .
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 03:45 PM   #16224
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, E.Edge (sold), Irex Iliad (retired)
I was about to start reading: The Fall of Berlin 1945 by Antony Beevor but Kindlegen did a poor job converting the .epub format to .mobi.

The file ended up being unreadable in the Kindle. Might be that the layout was too complex or something.
thinkpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 07:05 PM   #16225
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Thomas Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
Treachery in Outer Space was another fun Space Opera that I enjoyed immensely. Thomas Perry's Vanishing Act was really really great! I'm sure that I'll be reading more of these Jane Whitefield stories in the near future. Thanks a bunch to fantasyfan for posting this link to a freebie read of Michael Swanwick's short story, Slow Life. It was a good quick-read for between chapters.

Next up will be Mystery of the Brass-Bound Trunk (Nancy Drew #17) by Carolyn Keene and Thunderbird Falls (Walker Papers #2) by C.E. Murphy.
Well I just haven't been able to get into Thunderbird Falls so decided I'd abandon it and read another Jane Whitefield novel instead, Dance for the Dead (Jane Whitefield #2) by Thomas Perry.

alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 02:08 AM   #16226
TCSimpson
Fantasy Author
TCSimpson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TCSimpson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TCSimpson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TCSimpson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TCSimpson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TCSimpson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TCSimpson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TCSimpson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TCSimpson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TCSimpson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TCSimpson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus Tablet
Catching up on Dresden. Now at Turn Coat.
TCSimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 02:23 AM   #16227
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkpad View Post
I was about to start reading: The Fall of Berlin 1945 by Antony Beevor but Kindlegen did a poor job converting the .epub format to .mobi.

The file ended up being unreadable in the Kindle. Might be that the layout was too complex or something.
I'm a little puzzled. You've given an Amazon link, so why didn't you get the Kindle version of the book rather than an ePub version?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 05:09 AM   #16228
Crusader
Space Cadet
Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Cybook Opus, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I tried to read her Moxyland after hearing her interviewed on a tech podcast I listen to. But, I just couldn't get into it.

BOb
I haven't read Moxyland yet, but I have read Zoo City too. It was good but not as great as it was made out to be. The Shining Girls is quite different from her previous work and should have a much larger appeal.
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 05:17 AM   #16229
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Next up: Fire with Fire by Charles E. Gammon. From the April 2013 Baen Monthly Bundle.
I was pleasantly surprised by this one. An interesting first novel in what looks like it will become a series, but with sufficient complete plots in the book that it doesn't feel like just a prologue. There are a couple of bit that are far-fetched even for SF, but on the whole, I liked it.

Next I read The Gods of War created by Christopher Stasheff. This is a series of short stores by various authors with a connecting narrative. It was OK, but no more than OK.

Now: The Labours of Hercules by Agatha Christie. Back to one of my bargains from the Fictionwise Agatha Christie sale. Her 46th mystery book.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 05:33 AM   #16230
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, E.Edge (sold), Irex Iliad (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'm a little puzzled. You've given an Amazon link, so why didn't you get the Kindle version of the book rather than an ePub version?
I bought it from an online-store that sold it only in .epub. The reason I gave the Amazon link was purely out of habit.
thinkpad is offline   Reply With Quote