Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-18-2013, 04:07 AM   #1
Future Science
Future Science has a spectacular aura aboutFuture Science has a spectacular aura aboutFuture Science has a spectacular aura aboutFuture Science has a spectacular aura aboutFuture Science has a spectacular aura aboutFuture Science has a spectacular aura aboutFuture Science has a spectacular aura aboutFuture Science has a spectacular aura aboutFuture Science has a spectacular aura aboutFuture Science has a spectacular aura aboutFuture Science has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo glo
Micro SD suggestion for Kobo Glo

I'm about to buy a Kobo Glo, so I'm looking around for some accessories and obviously the SD card is one of them.

What models or brands do you suggest?

I was planning to buy a 16GB Micro SD, I don't know if there are models/brands to avoid, what to look for (speed transfer up to?) and so on.

Thanks!
Future Science is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 04:16 AM   #2
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
There used to be issues with different brand in a previous firmware, but as far as I know that has been fixed now. I don't personally use a micro SD card so I can't really help you, but there's a post here that might:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...54&postcount=3
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 04:32 AM   #3
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Science View Post
What models or brands do you suggest?
Based on my (limited) experience I would recommend Sandisk.

Kobo uses a Sandisk card (class 2 or 4) for its internal storage, and I have used both Sandisk 8GB class 4 and Sandisk Ultra 16GB class 10 with no problems. Class 10 doesn't seem to have much advantage over class 4, but it can make transferring books from computer to reader faster.

The one other card I tried was a Kingston 4GB class 4, I suspect it was the cause of an unusually high battery drain problem I had, but I can't say the problem is with the brand, it might have been a one-off dud or maybe a fake card.

Last edited by GeoffR; 01-18-2013 at 04:33 AM. Reason: fix quote
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 05:41 AM   #4
twobits
Addict
twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
Based on my (limited) experience I would recommend Sandisk.

Kobo uses a Sandisk card (class 2 or 4) for its internal storage, and I have used both Sandisk 8GB class 4 and Sandisk Ultra 16GB class 10 with no problems. Class 10 doesn't seem to have much advantage over class 4, but it can make transferring books from computer to reader faster.
I second this. Sandisk have been the most consistent cards for me in a number of devices.
For this type of use I would get a class 2 or 4 Sandisk. The size of ebooks is small so the speed difference is not worth paying for. In addition the faster cards are actually slower on small block IO and seeking speeds. Only reason I would ever opt for them is video.
twobits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 03:46 PM   #5
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
SD card choices

I'm using a 16GB Sandisk class 4 card in my Glo. I went with Sandisk for the Touch when the original no name card I picked up caused issues. Sandisk seems to have the best read/write speed for small (4Kbytes) blocks which made a noticeable difference loading the covers after going to the home screen. I tried a Patriot 8 GB class 10 card but while faster on large blocks, it's speed was pathetic on small blocks and especially small block writes. Sandisk 16GB class 4, 4K write, 1.93MB/sec, Patriot 8GB class 10, 4K write, 0.13MB/sec.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 06:17 PM   #6
Danger
Evangelist
Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2 (retired), Kobo Touch (passed to the wife), KGlo, Galaxy TabPro
I've been using a 16G Sandisk as well with no problems.
Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 04:25 PM   #7
Future Science
Future Science has a spectacular aura aboutFuture Science has a spectacular aura aboutFuture Science has a spectacular aura aboutFuture Science has a spectacular aura aboutFuture Science has a spectacular aura aboutFuture Science has a spectacular aura aboutFuture Science has a spectacular aura aboutFuture Science has a spectacular aura aboutFuture Science has a spectacular aura aboutFuture Science has a spectacular aura aboutFuture Science has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo glo
I have 2 more questions:

1) What about buying a SanDisk Class 4 Micro SDHC together with an adapter, like this one:
http://www.amazon.it/SanDisk-micro-S...9408175&sr=8-2

Does it fit inside a Kobo Glo?

2) [OT] Can I later use a uSD Class 4 on a smartphone (e.g. a Samsung Galaxy S*)?
I read that SanDisk Class 10 uSDs don't work properly on those phone.
Future Science is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:08 PM   #8
goesta
goesta , Klaatu Barada Niktu!goesta , Klaatu Barada Niktu!goesta , Klaatu Barada Niktu!goesta , Klaatu Barada Niktu!goesta , Klaatu Barada Niktu!goesta , Klaatu Barada Niktu!goesta , Klaatu Barada Niktu!goesta , Klaatu Barada Niktu!goesta , Klaatu Barada Niktu!goesta , Klaatu Barada Niktu!goesta , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

I went for overkill when I bought the Kobo and got the Sandisk 16GB micro SD HC I Class 10 (with adapter). Works like a charm on the Kobo Glo. Good to know that Class 4 work just as well. Thanks again to the mobileread fount of knowledge!
goesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:17 PM   #9
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Science View Post
I have 2 more questions:

1) What about buying a SanDisk Class 4 Micro SDHC together with an adapter, like this one:
http://www.amazon.it/SanDisk-micro-S...9408175&sr=8-2

Does it fit inside a Kobo Glo?

2) [OT] Can I later use a uSD Class 4 on a smartphone (e.g. a Samsung Galaxy S*)?
I read that SanDisk Class 10 uSDs don't work properly on those phone.
The adapter won't fit inside the Glo, you just need the micro SD card. The adapter can come in handy if your computer or laptop or whatever has a SD card slot.

I've use a Sandisk Class 10 on a Samsung smartphone with no issues though it was likely overkill.

Regards,
David

Last edited by DNSB; 01-29-2013 at 11:15 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 02:52 PM   #10
Liesse
Zealot
Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Forma
I have a Samsung 4GB Class 8 in my Glo. It worked straight away, and no problems at all.

Yeah, it isn't very big. But eBooks are tiny and my whole Calibre library is around 2 GB. That gives me plenty of room to grow.
Liesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 01:45 AM   #11
gloworm
gloworm began at the beginning.

Buyer beware: Kingston 8GB class 4 microSD will drain Kobo Glo battery

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
The one other card I tried was a Kingston 4GB class 4, I suspect it was the cause of an unusually high battery drain problem I had, but I can't say the problem is with the brand, it might have been a one-off dud or maybe a fake card.
I have to agree--before I found saw this thread I purchased a Kingston 8GB class 4 microSD for my Kobo Glo. I observed a 2% drop in battery power after reading one chapter of an epub on the card, lights off. I then copied the same epub to the main memory of the Glo, read the same chapter, lights off: no drop in power. Repeated this process, this time using a generic 8GB class 4 that was in my smartphone: no drop in power.

I'm now testing the Kingston on my smartphone, and so far, no battery drain. I suppose this is because the phone uses the card only as extra storage, and isn't constantly accessing it the way the Kobo would.
gloworm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kobo glo, micro sd card