Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 11-26-2014, 01:34 PM   #1
LinuxArie
Connoisseur
LinuxArie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LinuxArie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LinuxArie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LinuxArie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LinuxArie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LinuxArie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LinuxArie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LinuxArie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LinuxArie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LinuxArie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LinuxArie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch & Clara HD. FBreader on Lenovo Yoga Tab 3 Pro, Nokia 3.1
Advice Arc 7Hd 1GGB or Arc7 8GB

I want to buy a tablet. Main purpose is PDF reading, once and a while a game Wordfeud and Sudoku.

Which is the bettter of these 2? And with better I mean the quality of the screen

Arie
LinuxArie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 01:49 PM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I'd almost advise on neither; the Kobo Tablets are not being developed further, and no new ones are planned. Unless you are OK with that (and get a great deal on one) get a newer, supported device.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-26-2014, 02:26 PM   #3
LinuxArie
Connoisseur
LinuxArie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LinuxArie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LinuxArie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LinuxArie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LinuxArie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LinuxArie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LinuxArie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LinuxArie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LinuxArie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LinuxArie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LinuxArie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Arc 7 8GB €99
Arc 7HD 16GB €129

Maybe not a great deal, but it looks to me as a fair price
Old 11-26-2014, 09:00 PM   #4
oj829
Groupie
oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo, Kobo Arc(32GB), Kobo Arc 7HD, Kobo Glo HD,NookHD
Quote:
Originally Posted by LinuxArie View Post
Arc 7 8GB €99
Arc 7HD 16GB €129

Maybe not a great deal, but it looks to me as a fair price
The US Kobo store has the 7HD right now for $139 (16GB) / $159 (32GB).

Given that both the 7 and 7HD models have single mono speakers in awkward positions, you might want to look elsewhere if hearing movie dialogue or music is important.

They both do away with the dreaded "Tapestries" interface of the Kobo Arc.
The screen specs on the 7HD are 1920x1200, better than the 1440x900 you'll find on the Nook HD, which was really the go-to tablet for great resolution at a low price for a long time.

The 7HD is a little hefty, though - 341g.

If you find weight and audio deficiencies a big part of your tablet experience, you might want to consider these drawbacks. Unless you go with a refurbished unit from someone else, I don't see any 1920x1200 7" tablets on the market now at $139.

YMMV.
oj829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 12:39 PM   #5
LinuxArie
Connoisseur

Today my Arc7 HD arrived.
Tapestries is not as bad as I thought

In short, I'm happy
Advert
Old 11-30-2014, 08:02 PM   #6
Joeldmtl
Connoisseur
Joeldmtl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterJoeldmtl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterJoeldmtl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterJoeldmtl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterJoeldmtl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterJoeldmtl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterJoeldmtl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterJoeldmtl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterJoeldmtl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterJoeldmtl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterJoeldmtl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Kobo Touch
I bought both the Arc & 7 HD today for $80 and $110 respectively. However, I'm not sure which one to keep.

I wasn't even planning to get a tablet as my wife and I both have and enjoy reading books on our Kobo e-readers (Aura and Glo respectively). But given that they were both deeply discounted I thought I might try a tablet for Forum reading, Facebook, general web browsing, e-mail and some small spreadsheet and word processing work.

Two questions:
1) will either of these tablets fill my need as a web browsing toy? Is the & HD worth the extra $30?
Joeldmtl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 05:27 AM   #7
LinuxArie
Connoisseur

1 yes

2 I can only speak for myself, I think it's worth it

How much memory do they have?
Old 12-01-2014, 09:09 AM   #8
Joeldmtl
Connoisseur
Joeldmtl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterJoeldmtl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterJoeldmtl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterJoeldmtl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterJoeldmtl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterJoeldmtl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterJoeldmtl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterJoeldmtl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterJoeldmtl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterJoeldmtl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterJoeldmtl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by LinuxArie View Post
1 yes

2 I can only speak for myself, I think it's worth it

How much memory do they have?
The ARC 7 comes with 8 GB but had a slot that can accommodate 32GB.

My ARC 7 HD has a fixed memory of 16 GB

For serious stuff I mainly use my Desktop and laptop PCs. The Tablet is just for portability for web browsing, forums, e-mail when travelling etc. (Nothing that would stay on permanently). So I would think 16 GB is enough - but I don't have a feel what 16GB can hold.

Given my needs, my guess is that 16 GB is probably enough. My main reason to go with the 7HD is for a faster processor and better screen. If those things are reasonably better on the 7HD than the 7, then the &HD is worth it to me (again provided that 16 GB will meet my needs).

Comments please.

Last edited by Joeldmtl; 12-01-2014 at 09:17 AM.
Joeldmtl is offline   Reply With Quote