Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: September 2010 Mobile Read Book Club Vote
The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins 15 16.48%
Killing Floor by Lee Child 20 21.98%
Boston Blackie by Jack Boyle 6 6.59%
Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsky 12 13.19%
Raffles: The Amateur Cracksman by E.W. Horning 8 8.79%
Skinwalkers by Tony Hillerman 8 8.79%
Fer-de-Lance by Rex Stout 7 7.69%
Fingersmith by Sarah Waters 6 6.59%
White Seed: The Untold Story of the Lost Colony of Roanoke by MR member Paul Clayton 6 6.59%
The Tin Roof Blowdown: A Dave Robicheaux Novel by James Lee Burke 3 3.30%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-26-2010, 08:25 PM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinandgreek View Post
I voted for "Crime and Punishment" because ... I'm embarrassed that I've never read it. I have read Fingersmith, and can warmly recommend it.
I voted for Killing Floor by Lee Child and I did so because it is excellent. It's not a short story like some. It's not old fashioned like some and it's just plain that good.

Have a read of the following thread to see how other rave about the Jack Reacher series.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93733
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 09:03 PM   #17
Hampshire Nanny
Guru
Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3 KB, iPad2
Quote:
[JSWOLF on]
The Killing Floor should be disqualified. Chronologically, it's the second book in the series.
[JSWolf off]
According to the Fantastic Fiction web site, it's the first in the Jack Reacher series.
http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/c/lee-child/

His bio even says that it was his first novel. I suppose he could have written a prequel, but that shouldn't disqualify The Killing Floor

Last edited by Hampshire Nanny; 08-26-2010 at 09:06 PM.
Hampshire Nanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-26-2010, 09:13 PM   #18
MsAstoria
Evangelist
MsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipedia

Device: Kindle Fire HDX, iPhone (yes, I read on my phone)
Currently reading and enjoying "Raffles" the gentleman thief. Amazing they can leave fingerprints behind and not be caught, ahhh the Victorian Age.
MsAstoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 10:28 PM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampshire Nanny View Post
According to the Fantastic Fiction web site, it's the first in the Jack Reacher series.

His bio even says that it was his first novel. I suppose he could have written a prequel, but that shouldn't disqualify The Killing Floor
I don't know if any of the books is a prequel or they just give bits of his past as they go along. But I'll go along with reading the series in published order.

All I know is #1 was very good and worth reading and I'll get to #2 soon.
Old 08-26-2010, 11:51 PM   #20
Tattncat
Bookworm
Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Tablet, Samsung Galaxy Tab3, Sony PRS700, Sony PRS505
I picked "Moonstone" by Wilkie. I've been wanting to read it for ages. Although....... I would be nearly as pleased if "Boston Blackie" or "Skinwalkers" or "White Seed" were to be picked. This month's picks look interesting.
Tattncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-27-2010, 02:07 AM   #21
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
Never read a Lee Child novel, and I've always wanted to, so I guess I'll pick this one up and hop into the monthly read.
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 07:13 AM   #22
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampshire Nanny View Post

I was getting my information from wiki. Isn't The Enemy a prequel, and thus, The Killing Floor should be read second, thus The Killing Floor should be eliminated from the vote. Actually, in all fairness, we should go back and redo the nominations.

John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 10:43 AM   #23
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I was getting my information from wiki. Isn't The Enemy a prequel, and thus, The Killing Floor should be read second, thus The Killing Floor should be eliminated from the vote. Actually, in all fairness, we should go back and redo the nominations.

From what I was reading on Lee Child's website, there are two ways to go about it. Read it in published order (recommended) or timeline order.

Quote:
Can I read the novels out of order?

Lee wrote the Reacher novels so you could start the series with any one of them. Really. No fooling.

Our suggestion? Read them in the order Lee wrote them (they were published in that order, too). We believe the prequel (The Enemy) has more emotional impact after you've gotten to know Reacher a bit better. We numbered them on the BOOKS page for your convenience. There's also a printable list of all books available for download in PDF format and Word.

#1 Killing Floor; #2 Die Trying; #3 Tripwire; #4 Running Blind (US title)/The Visitor (UK title); #5 Echo Burning; #6 Without Fail; #7 Persuader; #8 The Enemy (the prequel, this takes place before the events of Killing Floor); #9 One Shot; #10 The Hard Way; #11 Bad Luck and Trouble; #12 Nothing to Lose; #13 Gone Tomorrow.

If you're a diehard must-be-read-in-chronological-order person: The Enemy (the prequel); Killing Floor; Die Trying; Tripwire; Running Blind (US title)/The Visitor (UK title); Echo Burning; Without Fail; Persuader; One Shot; The Hard Way; Bad Luck and Trouble; Nothing to Lose; Gone Tomorrow.
Give what was said about The Enemy having more of an emotional impact reading in the order written, I'll read that way.

Last edited by JSWolf; 08-27-2010 at 10:45 AM.
Old 08-27-2010, 11:11 AM   #24
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
I started Boston Blackie last night. When I'm finished I'll move on to The Moonstone. If there's time, I'll do Raffles next.

This is the first time that I'm not waiting to see who wins before I start reading the nominees!
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 11:15 AM   #25
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
I see what appears to be a glitch in the system. White Seed has three names of voters, but a vote total of only two.

Edit - I see now that the problem has been corrected.

Last edited by GA Russell; 08-27-2010 at 02:12 PM.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 11:46 AM   #26
edbro
Banned
edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: iPad4
I voted for Tin Roof but I just finished Killing Floor and I've got to say it is good!
edbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 03:43 PM   #27
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by edbro View Post
I voted for Tin Roof but I just finished Killing Floor and I've got to say it is good!
Speaking of The Tin Roof Blowdown why was book 17 of a series nominated?

I have recently finished Killing Floor and it was very good. I voted for it so other can find out just how good it really is.
Old 08-27-2010, 04:03 PM   #28
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Jon, I noted that you do love that series and that book, especially since you have a thread discussing it: Jack Reacher series by Lee Child.

The Tin Roof Blowdown: A Dave Robicheaux Novel by James Lee Burke, according to the below quote, can be read out of sequence, though.

quoted from this page
Quote:
Ever since Hurricane Katrina ravaged southern Louisiana in August 2005, James Lee Burke's fans have been waiting for this book, and Burke does not disappoint. Outraged and eloquent, the two-time Edgar Award-winner delivers a gut-wrenching portrayal of the storm's ferocity and devastating aftermath, venting through Robicheaux his frustration at the human incompetence and greed that magnified nature's destructive fury. His evocative, heartfelt prose, sympathetic characters, and intricately interwoven plotlines grip the reader from the first page. Burke's admirers will savor this latest installment, while those not yet acquainted with Robicheaux can start here, thanks to the comprehensive background information Burke provides in what critics call his best book yet.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 04:17 PM   #29
edbro
Banned
edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: iPad4
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Speaking of The Tin Roof Blowdown why was book 17 of a series nominated?

I have recently finished Killing Floor and it was very good. I voted for it so other can find out just how good it really is.
Because I've read most of the others already.
edbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 04:31 PM   #30
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
I see what appears to be a glitch in the system. White Seed has three names of voters, but a vote total of only two.

Edit - I see now that the problem has been corrected.
You will also see that Skinwalkers has one more vote than people. Dixie Gal PMed me that she mis-clicked and asked me to fix it. While I can move her vote, I can't move her name.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote