Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: August 2010 Mobile Read Book Club Vote
Sh*t My Dad Says by Halpern, Justin 11 13.25%
The Long Goodbye by Raymond Chandler 22 26.51%
Eye of the Needle by Ken Follett 10 12.05%
Don't Sleep There Are Snakes by Daniel Everett 6 7.23%
The Guns of August by Barbara W. Tuchman 5 6.02%
Life of Pi by Yann Martel 3 3.61%
Aspects of the Novel by E. M. Forster 6 7.23%
The Book Thief by Marcus Zusak 11 13.25%
The Tipping Point: How Little Things Can Make a Big Difference by Malcolm Gladwell 7 8.43%
Memoirs of a Woman of Pleasure by John Cleland 2 2.41%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-22-2010, 05:39 PM   #16
glowhappy
lost my wits...
glowhappy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glowhappy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glowhappy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glowhappy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glowhappy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glowhappy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glowhappy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glowhappy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glowhappy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glowhappy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glowhappy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Well I'm withholding my vote for now to see which way the wind blows. Is that a good reason?
TEASE!
glowhappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 05:39 PM   #17
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Well I'm withholding my vote for now to see which way the wind blows. Is that a good reason?
That is a terrible reason. The vote should be for a book you want to read and not because it might be a winner.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-22-2010, 05:45 PM   #18
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
That is a terrible reason. The vote should be for a book you want to read and not because it might be a winner.

kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 05:52 PM   #19
beppe
Grand Sorcerer
beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, Ipod4, IPad2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I just voted for Sh*t My Dad Says. I hope this time we get a good book to read. But, please vote because you really do want to read what you voted for and not because it's cheap or free or some other asinine reasons like we had with The awful Egg book and 39 Steps.
I love that
beppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 05:52 PM   #20
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
I well remember that time a few months ago when I forgot to cast my vote in time, which would have been the decisive vote. I'll be waiting again this month - but I've made a note in my calendar to remind me to be on time

And Jon - I will in any case vote for something that I'm interested in reading - and that might be a good source for discussion (Beppe had a good point there!)
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-22-2010, 05:54 PM   #21
beppe
Grand Sorcerer
beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
All your reasons are always the best for you, at the moment you conceive them, Kenny. Some times also for me
Old 07-22-2010, 05:58 PM   #22
beppe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
I well remember that time a few months ago when I forgot to cast my vote in time, which would have been the decisive vote. I'll be waiting again this month - but I've made a note in my calendar to remind me to be on time

And Jon - I will in any case vote for something that I'm interested in reading - and that might be a good source for discussion (Beppe had a good point there!)
Thank you Ea, but watch out, the pilot is inadvertently tricky and closes the gates when it suits him. He did it recently. He likes too much those social games.
Old 07-22-2010, 06:01 PM   #23
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by beppe View Post
Which winner would lead us toward the most lively discussion?
I suspect that this month's list has some good chances of lively discussion. I've read "Life of Pi", I'm about 1/3 of the way through "Don't Sleep There Are Snakes", both interesting. The rest are unread by me, but they all look good.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 06:04 PM   #24
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
And sometimes the losers have a more lively discussion that the winner...
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 06:16 PM   #25
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
So, I'm reading The Eye of the Needle no matter how this turns out.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 06:23 PM   #26
beppe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post

BOb
It will catch you and make you loose some sleep.
Old 07-22-2010, 06:29 PM   #27
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by beppe View Post
It will catch you and make you loose some sleep.
I'll have to put up with my wife saying...

"What's taking you so long in there? What are you doing?"

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 06:33 PM   #28
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
And sometimes the losers have a more lively discussion that the winner...
Ab-so-lute-ly!
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 06:48 PM   #29
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post

BOb

See how you are.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 11:22 PM   #30
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I plan to try to participate in book club more often. Unless it is something that I don't want to read.

I voted for Tipping Point because it seems like something I should read, but would not. All of the books sound good, so I'll be happy with any of them.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote