Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: July 2010 Mobile Read Book Club Vote
The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien 17 13.08%
His Majesty's Dragon by Naomi Novik 13 10.00%
The Deed of Paksenarrion: The Sheepfarmer's Daughter (book 1) by Elizabeth Moon 24 18.46%
Magic Kingdom For Sale — Sold! by Terry Brooks 6 4.62%
American Gods by Neil Gaiman 22 16.92%
Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll 8 6.15%
Gulliver's Travels by Jonathan Swift 5 3.85%
The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien 8 6.15%
The Princess Bride by William Goldman 11 8.46%
A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin 16 12.31%
Voters: 130. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-26-2010, 02:21 PM   #61
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Ok.. I made my choice, Deed of Pak. and if it wins I will be springing for the $6 at webscriptions even though it can be had for free at the Bane CD archive site to support DRM free books and the Author.

BOb
It is an absolutely superb book. Even though I nominated LOTR, I voted for Paksinnarion. It has a "prequel", "The Legacy of Gird", which personally I didn't enjoy nearly as much.

Last edited by HarryT; 06-26-2010 at 02:24 PM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 02:23 PM   #62
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Yes. The 1913 edition of EB is at PG. Not yet complete - it's up to the letter "E" in volume 9.
Ok... then it's off the table. If the full book (all the volumes) aren't available right. Phew...

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-26-2010, 02:34 PM   #63
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
It is an absolutely superb book. Even though I nominated LOTR, I voted for Paksinnarion. It has a "prequel", "The Legacy of Gird", which personally I didn't enjoy nearly as much.
Yeah, I didn't like the prequel stuff as much either. Haven't read the first of the new sequel books that are out yet.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 02:35 PM   #64
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Yeah, I didn't like the prequel stuff as much either. Haven't read the first of the new sequel books that are out yet.
I haven't seen those. What's the title? Are they being published by Baen?
Old 06-26-2010, 02:45 PM   #65
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkpadx View Post
I can understand if someone thought it was a Trilogy since you can by the book: In His Majesty's Service
An omnibus edition of the first three volumes in the Temeraire series, His Majesty's Dragon, Throne of Jade, and Black Powder War.
Well, yeah,okay, I can see that. Still, I'd think anyone who'd looked up the series must have noticed there were more than three books (and a series with three books is not necessarily a trilogy - says the pedant in me). I think it's sloppy
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-26-2010, 02:47 PM   #66
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
Well, yeah,okay, I can see that. Still, I'd think anyone who'd looked up the series must have noticed there were more than three books (and a series with three books is not necessarily a trilogy - says the pedant in me). I think it's sloppy
Oooh.....you have a pedant in you? You might want to see someone about that.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 02:50 PM   #67
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Oooh.....you have a pedant in you? You might want to see someone about that.
What's wrong about the statement? Should I have used a different word?
Old 06-26-2010, 02:53 PM   #68
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

There's nothing wrong with it. Kenny's just being silly.
Old 06-26-2010, 02:54 PM   #69
Ea
Wizard

Thanks I just thought I'd missed a joke on my behalf.
Old 06-26-2010, 02:59 PM   #70
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Unfortunately Moon hasn't published anything with Baen for quite some time (IIRC they had some kind of disagreement and she left for a new publisher).

The first new "Paks World" book is Oath of Fealty and came out from Del Rey as a Hardcover in March...
http://www.amazon.com/Oath-of-Fealty...=AG56TWVU5XWC2

She's one of those authors who I'll pretty much automatically buy anything she puts out.

Last edited by AnemicOak; 06-26-2010 at 03:06 PM.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 03:04 PM   #71
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
What's wrong about the statement? Should I have used a different word?
Sorry... Just a joke....didn't come across well.

I'll go back to my corner now.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 04:45 PM   #72
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Unfortunately Moon hasn't published anything with Baen for quite some time (IIRC they had some kind of disagreement and she left for a new publisher).

The first new "Paks World" book is Oath of Fealty and came out from Del Rey as a Hardcover in March...
http://www.amazon.com/Oath-of-Fealty...=AG56TWVU5XWC2

She's one of those authors who I'll pretty much automatically buy anything she puts out.
Thanks, Brian - I'll have to look out for that.
Old 06-26-2010, 04:57 PM   #73
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Quote:
The Deed of Paksenarrion

* The Deed of Paksenarrion omnibus (February 1992), hardcover (October 2003)

1. Sheepfarmer’s Daughter (ISBN 978-0-671-65416-0, June 1988)
Free online copy (HTML) from the Baen Free Library.
2. Divided Allegiance (ISBN 978-0-671-69786-0, October 1988)
3. Oath of Gold (ISBN 978-0-671-69798-3, January 1989)

* Those Who Walk in Darkness (March 1990) – short story set during Oath of Gold, included in the collections Lunar Activity and Phases

The Legacy of Gird

* The Legacy of Gird omnibus (ISBN 978-0-671-87747-7, September 1996)

1. Surrender None (ISBN 978-0-671-69878-2, June 1990) – prequel to The Deed of Paksenarrion
2. Liar's Oath (ISBN 978-0-671-72117-6, May 1992) – sequel to both Surrender None and The Deed of Paksenarrion

Pending trilogy

1. Oath of Fealty (ISBN 978-0-345-50874-4, March 2010)
2. untitled work in progress
3. unstarted third book
There you go.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 05:04 PM   #74
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Thanks, Jon.
Old 06-26-2010, 07:26 PM   #75
Ea
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Sorry... Just a joke....didn't come across well.

I'll go back to my corner now.
It's fine - you just confused me. I'm okay.