Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-12-2006, 07:17 PM   #1
zibbler
zibbler began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Fonts in Reader?

I haven't been able to find anywhere a mention of what fonts are supported on the sony reader. With an rtf or pdf, I'd guess that you've got some options when it comes to font choice and I was wondering if anyone had already done some investigation that might save me some time. I looked at a few of the books that come with the reader and they all seem to be mostly formatted in something with a serif (most likely times) and couldn't find any way to change them. However, there are certainly a few places including menus that use a sans-serif font.

As a side note, I went back to a few paperbacks and noticed that all the ones I randomly pulled used serif fonts. I guess I never really noticed the fonts before, but last night I found myself wondering if the text might be more legible on small size in something like Arial.

I've really enjoyed reading about everyone's experiences with the reader and have loved mine for the 2 days that I've had it.
zibbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 08:02 PM   #2
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
It's actually been mentioned in few threads but anyway... Reader has three built-in fonts, and you can find them in "\Program Files\Sony\CONNECT Reader\Data\fonts" if you have Connect software installed:
Swiss 721 BT Roman (sans serif)
Dutch 801 Rm BT Roman (serif)
Courier 10 BT Roman (fixed pitch/monospaced)
These fonts are used for all RTF, TXT and LRF (BBeB) content. PDFs often have embedded fonts.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-12-2006, 11:54 PM   #3
Michele
Addict
Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by zibbler
As a side note, I went back to a few paperbacks and noticed that all the ones I randomly pulled used serif fonts. I guess I never really noticed the fonts before, but last night I found myself wondering if the text might be more legible on small size in something like Arial.
When I can, I change the font to Verdana 16. The sans serif fonts are more readable on the Reader imho, and at that size I use the small and medium Reader settings, depending on lighting and eye fatigue.
Michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 02:21 AM   #4
William Moates
Zealot
William Moates began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Librie / Sony Clie / Sony Reader
What fonts are best for reading?

I remember learning somewhere that, for body text (like in full paragraphs), a serif font is more readable than a sans serif font.
This professor at at Indiana University agrees, where he says

Quote:
One thing to keep in mind when choosing to serif or not to serif: studies have shown that serifed fonts are generally easier to read than sans-serif fonts. The effect is most pronounced at smaller font sizes, so body text is typically in a serifed font.
One of the visualization giants, Edward Tufte, discusses the issue here on his website , where in print, serifed body text is considered more readable, but on screen, serifs can get too blocky. With the 170-dpi resolution of E-ink falling somewhere in between, what Tufte and his cadre say may not apply.

It looks like the HID/HCI folks will need to buy a few Readers and do some studies with them!

Last edited by William Moates; 11-13-2006 at 02:25 AM. Reason: Just to clarify things
William Moates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 03:09 AM   #5
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I read somewhere (don't know the authority of it) that serif fonts are more readable for print and sans serif fonts are better for computer display.

I find that to be the case for me, except that I find serif fonts better for me on the Reader. I'm sure preferences will vary, but I find that intriguing because of how the e-ink is supposed to mimick the paper look more than the computer screen look.
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-13-2006, 11:30 AM   #6
Cthulhu
Technologist
Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY Reader PRS-500
To Clarify:

Regardles of what font I choose when I save a document of my own creation, be it .txt, .rtf, .lrf, it will be reproduced on the Reader as one the three fonts mentioned by Igorsk?
Cthulhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 12:10 PM   #7
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Yup, The Reader parses it to the closest match, and uses that to display the text.

At least until igorsk can get us a font swapper app.

PDFs embed the font and the Reader displays those directly, but PDF's have their own issues that make them ... sub-optimal, in my opinion, at any rate.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 12:22 PM   #8
Cthulhu
Technologist
Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY Reader PRS-500
NatCh: Thanks.

I knew about the PDF problems of clarity, the issues of screen reduction, &tc.

Native support for additional fonts would indeed be spiffy. Will need to add that to "suggested software updates" (if it is not there all ready)
Cthulhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 12:36 PM   #9
tcv
Addict
tcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enough

Fonts can certain affect the mood of the work. For instance, I find it very interesting when you read a book about computer culture and the fonts are sans-serif. It makes it a little more interesting.

Also: There are different moods to be had between serif fonts. Sabon produces a little softer feeling than, say, Times New Roman.

All-in-all, changing fonts at will would be a very nice thing indeed.
tcv is offline   Reply With Quote