Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 04-24-2010, 01:31 PM   #136
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by beppe View Post
Let me be graphical. Just for the fun of it. (I think it is clear that I do not want to rise any objections whatsoever to the matter in question).

When is the Poll?
The poll thread will open at the end of the nomination period, or once there have been 10 books with 3 nominations each. At that time a link to the poll thread will be posted here and this thread will be closed.

Either or works like this:

Either you eat this soup or you jump from the window. Slightly independent events per se.

I understand: I open the the poll either at the end of the nomination (27 April) or once there have been etc.etc.

Oral comes from my previous post about regicide. It is, in my intention, a metaphor. Next step would have been a reference to auto de fé.
I am quite confused as to what you are saying? Is my wording flawed?

Glad to hear your not objecting.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 03:53 PM   #137
beppe
Grand Sorcerer
beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, Ipod4, IPad2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Glad to hear your not objecting.

BOb
indeed
beppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-25-2010, 01:58 PM   #138
Kevin2960
YODA's Uglier Twin
Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-600 and 2 Kindle 3's - and now a K4 + HTC Desire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by lene1949 View Post
Good stuff... I'm really interested in seeing which one will be the winner... All the books sounds great.

Why don't we read them all

Especially if for the Three Musketeers, read the whole of the D'Artagnan Romances,

Well it would keep us all out of mischief for a good while,

And there are deinitely some who need keeping out of mischief

One of my Better ideas
Kevin2960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 02:20 PM   #139
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, E.Edge (sold), Irex Iliad (retired)
On Amazon they've got The Collected Works of Jules Verne for the Kindle for $0.99, not bad considering you get 36 of his books. I downloaded The mysterious Island here from MR so I can compare the formatting with the one from Amazon.
thinkpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 05:37 PM   #140
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
A Passage to India is the only Forster book I've read. I have no idea if any of his others would be to my liking.
Well, Forster is very much concerned with personal relationships and character portraits. I've not much of an idea of your reading habits, but I doubt Forster will be your new author de jour

As for works by him that you might enjoy there's "The machine stops", which was a recent winner of the monthly book club vote here - you might try it - it's rather different from his other stories. I was quite amazed by it - and it made me change my mind (quite a feat )

There's also the short story collection "The Celestial Omnibus" which I find both funny and interesting.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-25-2010, 06:44 PM   #141
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
A Passage to India is the only Forster book I've read. I have no idea if any of his others would be to my liking.

You Fiend! You've kidnapped Harry!

Just out of curiosity, Jon, do you ever read book club selections you didn't vote for?
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 06:53 PM   #142
beppe
Grand Sorcerer
beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, Ipod4, IPad2
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
You Fiend! You've kidnapped Harry!

I am innocent, I swear. I was driving my father in law at home. The girl at the boot on the highway can testify!
beppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 11:12 AM   #143
Kevin2960
YODA's Uglier Twin
Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

OH no Harry's been Kidnapped .... Crime Writers quick give us your expert advice ... lets RESCUE Harry ... Any Super-Hero's out there ?

I'm already wearing my underwear on the outside ... oh that's another story ....
Old 04-28-2010, 05:47 AM   #144
Kevin2960
YODA's Uglier Twin

What no rescue party for Harry ???