Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 03-20-2010, 03:08 PM   #46
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post

I don't think we should weigh the club down with all sorts of rules. Trust people to nominate a good book, and then vote for the one you want and don't vote for the other ones.
Don't you think that's just way too reasonable????
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 03:49 PM   #47
Ben Thornton
Guru
Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, iPad 2 (but not for e-books)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
I don't think we should weigh the club down with all sorts of rules. Trust people to nominate a good book, and then vote for the one you want and don't vote for the other ones.
I'll second that. A rule that we don't have repeats sounds fair enough, but for all these other factors, simply make your point on the thread and then let the voting decide.

In fact, I propose a new rule:
- no more rules, including this one.
Ben Thornton is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-20-2010, 03:51 PM   #48
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Thornton View Post

In fact, I propose a new rule:
- no more rules, including this one.

Aiiieeee!! My brain! My brain!
Old 03-20-2010, 04:41 PM   #49
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Can we please not nominate any book in a series unless it is book 1 of that series?
And Another Thing is the first Hitchhiker book by an author other than Douglas Adams.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 04:46 PM   #50
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
And Another Thing is the first Hitchhiker book by an author other than Douglas Adams.

Took me a bit......
Advert
Old 03-20-2010, 04:52 PM   #51
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I think that should be a rule. What do you all think? I mean Topper and others have been nominated before but didn't win.

BOb
I think it should be run in a similar manner to Presidential elections in the United States. Nixon lost to Kennedy in 1960, but ran again two election cycles later years later and won.

I think you should be able to nominate any book as many times as a relevant category presents itself (if it's a real loser, it's your vote you're wasting), but a book that has won should not be eligible for consideration again for at least two (or more) years.
Old 03-20-2010, 04:54 PM   #52
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I think it should be run in a similar manner to Presidential elections in the United States. Nixon lost to Kennedy in 1960, but ran again two election cycles later years later and won.

I think you should be able to nominate any book as many times as a relevant category presents itself (if it's a real loser, it's your vote you're wasting), but a book that has won should not be eligible for consideration again for at least two (or more) years.
Presidents have term limits though. I am just saying a 1 term run for a winning books seems enough. As someone else pointed out if you filter the Reading Rec section to the book club pre-fixes there is already a discussion on all the wining books.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 05:02 PM   #53
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Presidents have term limits though. I am just saying a 1 term run for a winning books seems enough. As someone else pointed out if you filter the Reading Rec section to the book club pre-fixes there is already a discussion on all the wining books.

BOb
That seems reasonable. I only suggested a waiting period before a winning book can again be considered again because the membership of MobileRead is constantly changing and growing, and future members will not have had the chance to discuss a former winner in the context of the book club. But I'm easy; either one-term or waiting periods between wins is fine with me.

Just to be clear; are we agreed that losing books can be re-nominated indefinitely? (The fact that Topper was the first book listed here so far to receive a 2nd and a 3rd shows that there is genuine interest in reading it.)

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 03-20-2010 at 05:10 PM.
Old 03-20-2010, 05:10 PM   #54
Nakor
Addict
Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek Libre
Sounds fair to me. If a book lost last round, it may still be the #1 book of the rest, why exclude it? It makes sense not to have the same book win twice, but a book that didn't win should be fair game as often as it gets nominated. (If people no longer think it should be there, then they wouldn't nominate it again.)
Nakor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 05:21 PM   #55
Ben Thornton
Guru
Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

So, the rules are:
1. put forward any book you like
2. unless it's won before
3. otherwise there are no rules, including this one
Old 03-20-2010, 07:02 PM   #56
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Thornton View Post
So, the rules are:
1. put forward any book you like
2. unless it's won before
3. otherwise there are no rules, including this one
4. or this one.
Old 03-20-2010, 07:37 PM   #57
beppe
Grand Sorcerer
beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, Ipod4, IPad2
then I ask to withdraw 3 men in a boat that I have proposed. I did not know it won last year. I did not know even that this wonderful forum existed.

Funny books, that are free for all because they are ancient, or that publisher sells at low price because they have little market value, that's not so easy. It takes a lot of reading new stuff. I see the very good point of this Book Club Nomination. Excellent!
beppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 05:03 AM   #58
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
I would nominate The Pirate Zombie Robot Slaves of Io vs the Sulfurous Slime Hobos , but I haven't written it yet. That is likely against the rules.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 05:18 AM   #59
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Nomination: "Augustus Carp" by Henry Bashford

I'd like to nominate -
"Augustus Carp, Esq. - Being the Autobiography of a Really Good Man" by Henry Bashford

From amazon.com:
'Bashford's comic 1924 volume offers the mock autobiography of Augustus Carp, a self-aggrandizing, stuffy, puritanical oaf, who indulges in numerous vices in the name of Christianity, rationalizing his own weaknesses while condemning others for the same acts. Great fun.'

Patricia has made this book freely available here.

Last edited by Sparrow; 03-21-2010 at 05:21 AM.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 06:27 AM   #60
Ben Thornton
Guru

I nominate "Brewster's millions" by George Barr McCutcheon which is on Gutenberg