Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: March 2010 Mobile Read Book Club Vote
Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers? by Mary Roach 14 18.42%
The Omnivore's Delimma by Michael Pollan 2 2.63%
The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot 3 3.95%
Quirkology: How We Discover the Big Truths in Small Things by Richard Wiseman 10 13.16%
American Notes by Charles Dickens 7 9.21%
A People's History of the United States by Howard Zinn 8 10.53%
A History of Western Philosophy by Bertrand Russell 4 5.26%
The Devil in the White City: Murder, Magic, and Madness at the Fair that Changed America by Erik Larson 14 18.42%
The World Without Us by Alan Weisman 2 2.63%
On the Origin of Species by Charles Darwin 3 3.95%
The Stranger Beside Me by Anne Rule 3 3.95%
The Greek Myths by Robert Graves 6 7.89%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-02-2010, 12:56 PM   #16
chainring
Addict
chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650 (black), Kindle 3G
I voted for A People's History of the United States because I just purchased it. So far, a very lively read.
chainring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 01:12 PM   #17
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Hey No reading ahead!

I nominated that one because I have it as well and it's on my to-read list.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-02-2010, 02:07 PM   #18
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
OK, this one is a hard choice for me. It is among Stiff, Quirkology, Devil in White City, and Stranger Beside Me.

and... I think I will read American Notes no matter what... strange that I won't vote for it.

Hmm...... decisions....

BOb
Quirkology! Looks like a fun book, and not too long. After GWTW, we need one that's short and fun!
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 02:25 PM   #19
Ben Thornton
Guru
Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, iPad 2 (but not for e-books)
I voted Stiff too.

Lots of good choice this month, though - I'd be happy to read any of the current front-runners.
Ben Thornton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 02:37 PM   #20
chainring
Addict
chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650 (black), Kindle 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Hey No reading ahead!

I nominated that one because I have it as well and it's on my to-read list.
Only a few pages in, I promise!
chainring is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-02-2010, 02:40 PM   #21
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Thornton View Post
I voted Stiff too.

Lots of good choice this month, though - I'd be happy to read any of the current front-runners.
My fear is that Stiff might get to be a bit of a one-trick pony after awhile, but that fear could possible reflect a lack of imagination on my part. Nevertheless, that's one of the reasons I voted for Quirkology. If not that, I think I'd have gone with The Origin of Species, despite its mammoth length.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 02:43 PM   #22
seagull
Addict
seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2
It's amazing how many books that you discover you should have nominated afterwards - I've just discovered Killer Germs by Barry and David Zimmerman and Smallpox- the Death of a Disease: The Inside Story of Eradicating a Worldwide Killer by D.A. Henderson.
seagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 02:46 PM   #23
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by seagull View Post
It's amazing how many books that you discover you should have nominated afterwards - I've just discovered Killer Germs by Barry and David Zimmerman and Smallpox- the Death of a Disease: The Inside Story of Eradicating a Worldwide Killer by D.A. Henderson.
Whew! I wouldn't want either one of those.

Oh the books.....I see.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 02:55 PM   #24
MelC
Evangelist
MelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it is

Device: Cybook Gen3, PRS600
[QUOTE=WT Sharpe;813047]My fear is that Stiff might get to be a bit of a one-trick pony after awhile, but that fear could possible reflect a lack of imagination on my part. QUOTE]

I have read it...that pony has LOTS of tricks and for a non-fiction writer Mary Roach has a monstrous amount of imagination and curiosity.

Mel
MelC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 03:14 PM   #25
oddly bodkins
Enthusiast
oddly bodkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oddly bodkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oddly bodkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oddly bodkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oddly bodkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oddly bodkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oddly bodkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oddly bodkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oddly bodkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oddly bodkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oddly bodkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aztak Pocket Pro, Palm Zire 72, IPad 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I have to say that the last Non-fiction we read, The Professor and the Mad Man was the biggest surprise good read for me during last years club reads.

BOb
I have this in audiobook and absolutely love it. There is another by the same author titled "The Map That Changed the World". I've just started to listen to that one and it's very interesting so far.

There are several choices I liked for the club this month. I finally voted for Greek Myths, just because I love mythology.
oddly bodkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 03:22 PM   #26
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by seagull View Post
I voted for Stiff, most of the other ones are not available to me and I've already read On the Origin of Species.
Which ones are not available in the UK so they can be removed from the vote?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 03:25 PM   #27
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Which ones are not available in the UK so they can be removed from the vote?
Would you stop beating the dead horse... it's not going to happen. Why is it you complain about the vote every week? You always feel something about it is wrong.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 04:39 PM   #28
mark_1903
mark_1903 began at the beginning.

Device: prs-300
Voted for Quirkology but was a toss up between that and Stiff. Went for Quirkology mainly because i like the title better lol
mark_1903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 05:07 PM   #29
Fledchen
Guru
Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.

Device: PB360+, Sony950, VR Stream, iPod Touch, iPad
I'm torn between "The Devil in the White City" and Dickens' "American Notes."
Fledchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 05:32 PM   #30
Ben Thornton
Guru
Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, iPad 2 (but not for e-books)
"Torn between The Devil and American Notes"

Which album was that on?
Ben Thornton is offline   Reply With Quote