Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 02-23-2010, 04:59 PM   #16
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Thornton View Post
Stiff is available in the UK from Amazon.com - I've bought it.
It isn't at WHSmith. Perhaps there is no standard ePub version, only Sony has this format in the US (according to Inkmesh) and they might have converted it from LRX.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 05:02 PM   #17
Ben Thornton
Guru
Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, iPad 2 (but not for e-books)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
It isn't at WHSmith. Perhaps there is no standard ePub version, only Sony has this format in the US (according to Inkmesh) and they might have converted it from LRX.
I have the non-standard ePub version
Ben Thornton is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-23-2010, 10:16 PM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Stiff is available in the UK from Amazon.com - I've bought it.
But it HAS to be available as an eBook.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 10:18 PM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I have the non-standard ePub version
Then how could you have purchased it at Amazon? Amazon does not sell ePub.
Old 02-23-2010, 10:19 PM   #20
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

To be honest, since Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers is only available in the USA (as an eBook), I think that should disqualify it.

Of course, if we do it that way, it may eliminate a lot of possible selections and that includes the one I nominated.
Advert
Old 02-23-2010, 11:16 PM   #21
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
To be honest, since Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers is only available in the USA (as an eBook), I think that should disqualify it.
Wow... do we really need so many rules? Just don't give it a nomination or a vote.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 11:29 PM   #22
Vector
Senile Delinquent
Vector will become famous soon enoughVector will become famous soon enoughVector will become famous soon enoughVector will become famous soon enoughVector will become famous soon enoughVector will become famous soon enough

Device: several
I nominate The World Without Us by Alan Weisman. This book examines what would happen to the planet if human beings disappeared. It looks at a wide variety of specific questions ranging from why and when bridges would fall down to what would happen to cockroaches. I just checked and it's available for both Kindle ($9.99) and SONY ($10.50).

Last edited by Vector; 02-23-2010 at 11:30 PM. Reason: correct typos
Vector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 04:09 AM   #23
Format C:
Guru
Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad + PRS-505 + Kindle 3
Quote:
Please let's not get into self-help type books.
I second on this!

Format C: is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 04:52 AM   #24
Format C:
Guru
Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad + PRS-505 + Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector View Post
I nominate The World Without Us by Alan Weisman. This book examines what would happen to the planet if human beings disappeared. It looks at a wide variety of specific questions ranging from why and when bridges would fall down to what would happen to cockroaches. I just checked and it's available for both Kindle ($9.99) and SONY ($10.50).
OK, my first nomination is the second on this one.

The second is for Charles Darwin's The Origin of the Species, available for free here on mobileread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10970

And the third one is simply the best nonfiction book I ever read (apart from the Yellow Pages, of course...):

Rober Graves - the Greek Myths
http://www.inkmesh.com/ebooks/greek-...bert+graves%22

The title says all.

I don't know why it's been published in two e-volumes, but I suggest both of them for the book club, being one single book.

Format C: is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 07:47 AM   #25
Fledchen
Guru
Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.

Device: PB360+, Sony950, VR Stream, iPod Touch, iPad
Grrr. Most of the books in my non-fiction to-be-read queue are not available as commercial ebooks. The ones that are available are about topics that tend to spark tedious flamewars (politics, evolutionary biology).

I nominate a biography of "Dr. Goat Gland," John Brinkley.

Charlatan: America's Most Dangerous Huckster, the Man Who Pursued Him, and the Age of Flimflam by Pope Brock

Quote:
In 1917, after years of selling worthless patent remedies throughout the Southeast, John R. Brinkley--America’s most brazen young con man--arrived in the tiny town of Milford, Kansas. He set up a medical practice and introduced an outlandish surgical method using goat glands to restore the fading virility of local farmers.

It was all nonsense, of course, but thousands of paying customers quickly turned “Dr.” Brinkley into America’s richest and most famous surgeon. His notoriety captured the attention of the great quackbuster Morris Fishbein, who vowed to put the country’s “most daring and dangerous” charlatan out of business.

Their cat--and--mouse game lasted throughout the 1920s and ’30s, but despite Fishbein’s efforts Brinkley prospered wildly. When he ran for governor of Kansas, he invented campaigning techniques still used in modern politics. Thumbing his nose at American regulators, he built the world’s most powerful radio transmitter just across the Rio Grande to offer sundry cures, and killed or maimed patients by the score, yet his warped genius produced innovations in broadcasting that endure to this day. By introducing country music and blues to the nation, Brinkley also became a seminal force in rock ’n’ roll. In short, he is the most creative criminal this country has ever produced.

Culminating in a decisive courtroom confrontation that pit Brinkley against his nemesis Fishbein, Charlatan is a marvelous portrait of a boundlessly audacious rogue on the loose in an America that was ripe for the bamboozling.
Fledchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 07:53 AM   #26
seagull
Addict
seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2
I'll nominate Quantum Theory Cannot Hurt You (also known as The Quantum Zoo) by Marcus Chown but I'm not sure if it's available as an eBook outside the UK I'll also nominate A Brief History of Time by Stephen Hawking and second On the Origin of Species by Charles Darwin. I'm not sure if A Brief History of Time is available outside the UK either but A Briefer History of Time certainly is.
seagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 07:55 AM   #27
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Wow... do we really need so many rules? Just don't give it a nomination or a vote.

BOb
It's not a matter of adding more rules, it's a matter of accessibility. If people from outside the USA want to participate and they cannot purchase the winning book, how is that fair to them?
Old 02-24-2010, 08:10 AM   #28
Ben Thornton
Guru
Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, iPad 2 (but not for e-books)
Quote:
It's not a matter of adding more rules, it's a matter of accessibility. If people from outside the USA want to participate and they cannot purchase the winning book, how is that fair to them?
I am outside the USA (UK) and I purchased this from Amazon.com completely above-board for Kindle for PC. It's available in the UK for Kindle and on iPhone in the same way.

So, it is available outside the US.
Ben Thornton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 09:27 AM   #29
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Has anyone read that all-time favorite posted here (by me! ) on prime numbers.

I understand it's one of those books you WANT to put down and CAN.

Don

P.S.: I heard the butler DIDN'T DO IT!

P.P.S.:
I am NOT recommending this book.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 10:09 AM   #30
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quirkology: How We Discover the Big Truths in Small Things by Richard Wiseman.

"This is a viral book - once you read it you just have to tell other people about the remarkable findings that Wiseman reveals. With this book there is little doubt that Wiseman is the most interesting and innovative experimental psychologist in the world today."
-- Michael Shermer.

I have a sample in my Kindle, and it looks interesting.

The Quirkology website is located at http://www.quirkology.com/USA/index.shtml.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote