Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-21-2009, 10:09 AM   #1
jlip
jlip began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
cannot open calibre on osx 10.6-- "Calibre is already running" message

I'm having problems running the latest version of Calibre (0.6.19)--I'm on os X 10.6.1; I keep getting the error message: "calibre is already running...if you are sure it is not running, try deleting the file ... .calibre_calibre GUI.lock."

The problem is that the GUI lock file does not exist (the ls -la command shows no hidden files containing the word calibre).

I have removed all references to calibre in ~/Library/Preferences, removed, reinstalled, rebooted-- all to no avail.

The problem seems to be related to only this user account as calibre runs fine in a newly created account.

the console log shows the following (note, the .fonts directory does not exist in the problem account):

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "calibre/__init__.pyo", line 414, in <module>
File "os.pyo", line 157, in makedirs
OSError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: '/Users/JBL/.fonts'
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "calibre/utils/ipc/__init__.pyo", line 28, in run
File "multiprocessing/connection.pyo", line 134, in Client
File "multiprocessing/connection.pyo", line 252, in SocketClient
File "<string>", line 1, in connect
error: [Errno 2] No such file or directory

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
jlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 10:29 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
There seems to be something wrong with the permissions of your home directory.

ls -ld ~
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2009, 11:07 AM   #3
jlip
jlip began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Thank you.
The owner of my home directory was another user on the computer. I'm not sure how that happened, but once fixed, all is working as expected.
thx again
jlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 09:31 AM   #4
Shay
Shay began at the beginning.

Device: Sony
I had the identical problem and was also able to fix it by changing the owner of my home directory so thanks to both of you for the question and answer.
Shay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 11:05 PM   #5
HandbagJunkie
HandbagJunkie began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
I finally figured out how to change the home directory permissions and it worked! Thanks Kovid!
HandbagJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert