Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 09-22-2009, 08:38 AM   #1
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Recommend a good ebook to raise a baby

My wife and I are expecting our first child in March..or February...anyway, one of those months that's close to one another.

We're old. Actually I'm somewhat elderly, and I need to read a good ebook on raising a baby, changing diapers, feeding, burping, taking out for walks (when older) -- you get the picture. (Spock, I know about).

Who can recommend a good, quality ebook with commonsense rules?

It can be for a Sony or a Kindle.

Thanks,
Don

All of the above is true - although, I'm not quite as stupid as I sound. That was planned.

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 09-22-2009 at 08:55 AM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 10:09 AM   #2
AlexC
Connoisseur
AlexC will become famous soon enoughAlexC will become famous soon enoughAlexC will become famous soon enoughAlexC will become famous soon enoughAlexC will become famous soon enoughAlexC will become famous soon enoughAlexC will become famous soon enough

Device: Apple iPad; iRex iLiad
Congratulations!

Baby's Best Chance, Toddler's First Steps, and a few other publications, all in pdf format, are freely available from the BC Ministry of Health. My wife and I just had a baby, our first, in the spring and found these to be helpful, if a little basic:

http://www.health.gov.bc.ca/prevent/...lications.html
AlexC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-22-2009, 10:15 AM   #3
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
CONGRATULATIONS!

OMG! Don and Mrs Don!!!! That's wonderful!!!!

And don't worry, I keep hearing that having a child a little later in life is the best, because you are mature enough to stand back and just enjoy the child.

Childrearing advice? Well, knowing your tastes in books assuming they will apply to family values, I recommend Pride and Prejudice and Zombies.

I'M JUST GLEEFULLY GIDDY HAPPY FOR YOU AND YOUR WIFE!!!

DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 10:29 AM   #4
Ned
Ebook reader
Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O (ed 2, v1), Kobo Forma, Kobo Libra 2
congrats to you both. just read him/her good books out loud and play Mozart. all the rest is superfluous.
Or you could follow Lewis C's advice and Speak harshly to your little boy and beat him when he sneezes
Ned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 10:33 AM   #5
chinesealbumart
Enthusiast
chinesealbumart has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.chinesealbumart has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.chinesealbumart has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.chinesealbumart has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS505
Smile

CONGRATULATIONS. I am happy for you too

I understand that the "What to Expect" series is very good. It started from "What to Expect wheN Expecting".

Today, I bought the "What to Expect BEFORE expecting" as I am trying to have a child (trying very hard).

For your case, maybe you want to try this:
What to Expect the Toddler Years
chinesealbumart is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-22-2009, 10:54 AM   #6
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Many congrats!!!

You've gotten some excellent suggestions already. I'll just add: read EVERYTHING now that you could possibly want to read. Once the little nipper appears, you'll either be too busy going "Awww!" or too sleep-deprived to focus even on the largest font size.

And - get a digital camera/recorder - since this is your first, you'll be taking photos of every waking & sleeping moment.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 11:01 AM   #7
Andanzas
Out of print
Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500 (recycled), Pocketbook Inkpad X Pro
Congratulations again, Dr. Dribeuse!

I think the What to Expect series is quite good, very informative.

I also recommend Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child: A Step-by-Step Program for a Good Night's Sleep by Marc Weissbluth. That's the one I've got, but there are several books on this topic that can be useful, and you should take a look at one of them at least. Sleeping well is extremely important for babies and it might be more problematic than you expect.

My best wishes to you and your family!
Andanzas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 11:11 AM   #8
dpierron
calibre2opds guru
dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: iPhone, iPad, PRS-650
Congratulations !

Now, to answer your question : I'd recommend a paper book more than a ebook to raise your baby.

Let me elaborate : a good old-fashioned paper book edition of an huge old classic like Tolstoi's War & Peace should measure up to 10cm in width. Using this book as a pedestal, you'll be able to raise your baby by these 10cm, whereas with an e-book you'll not only raise him/her less, but also risk destroying your precious device...

(sorry, couldn't resist the pun )
dpierron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 05:16 PM   #9
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I'm a girl, so I need details. Due date? Gonna find out the gender or not? Do you already know if she is a boy or girl? If she's a girl, will you name her after me? What sort of theme will you decorate the baby's room with? Due date? Due date? Due date?
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 06:13 PM   #10
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I heartily endorse the "What to Expect.." series. They're classics.

EEK! CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 07:01 PM   #11
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
I'm a girl, so I need details. Due date? Gonna find out the gender or not? Do you already know if she is a boy or girl? If she's a girl, will you name her after me? What sort of theme will you decorate the baby's room with? Due date? Due date? Due date?

I'll get all that information for you! (I promise!) We'll know in about 6 more weeks if it's a girl or a boy.

Also: To everyone offering congratulations and such nice thoughts, let me say thank you for all the kind words.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 11:41 PM   #12
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Good luck, chinesealbumart.

AlexC, congratulations to you and your wife on the new addition to your family

Congratulations to you and your wife, Dr Drib!!...

1. Catch up on your sleep now.
2. Hold off on the zombie books for a few years
3. Buy stock in photo processing (you will spend enough to fund a fourth world country)
4. Enjoy every minute
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 01:17 PM   #13
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
I need to read a good ebook on raising a baby, changing diapers, feeding, burping, taking out for walks (when older) -- you get the picture.
Congrats! Hubby and I are expecting our first in January/February. Honestly, the best how-to book I've come across so far isn't available in e-format. It's called The Baby Owner's Manual. It tries to be humorous, but it contains a lot of helpful first-time parent things, like how to change a diaper and how to swaddle.
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 01:55 PM   #14
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Quote:
Originally Posted by queentess View Post
Congrats! Hubby and I are expecting our first in January/February. Honestly, the best how-to book I've come across so far isn't available in e-format. It's called The Baby Owner's Manual. It tries to be humorous, but it contains a lot of helpful first-time parent things, like how to change a diaper and how to swaddle.
CONGRATULATIONS to you and your hubby, queentess!!

There is nothing like the excitement of the very first.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 02:09 PM   #15
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
I'll second the recommendations for the _What to Expect..._ series --- very, very good.

William
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote