Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 09-20-2009, 08:36 PM   #1
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Administration: New years reading categories

Hi All,

The October Book Club Category was the last one on the original schedule. It is time to put together a new schedule.

I think we have learned some things this past year.

1. Limiting to free books isn't easy when the category is very narrow.
2. Some of the categories were not well defined ahead of time.
3. Some categories were not as popular as others.

Here was the previous schedule:

January 09
Science Fiction (can be from anywhere, including our library)

February 09
MobileRead Contemporary (can be any genre, but must be contemporary and must be available in our library)

March 09
Nonfiction (can be from anywhere, including our library)

April 09
MobileRead Author (must be a book from an author who frequents MobileRead)

May 09
Horror (can be from anywhere, including our library)

June 09
MobileRead Classic

July 09
Humor (can be from anywhere, including our library)

August 09
MobileRead Contemporary

September 09
Mystery (can be from anywhere, including our library)

October 09
MobileRead Author

Some worked well, some didn't. I was thinking we should make the categories less narrow and more like a "Genre"... Like, is classic a genre?

Also, I think it might be nice to try to theme the genre with the month. Like perhaps October should be horror since it contains Halloween. April would be a good month for humor.

I would like to see us get an annual schedule thing we could repeat each year... but maybe some don't want the same schedule each year.

So... the floor is open... what would you guys like to see?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 08:41 PM   #2
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Ooh I'm all for the horror in October! Also, same with April and humor, and then presumably something Christmas or holiday related in December? I also really enjoy the MR author month. I think we should narrow Nonfiction down, like to History.

Contemporary was really tough, so I think we should nix that one. Maybe for something like reading something off the bestseller list (although that would make the nomination process boring).
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-20-2009, 08:44 PM   #3
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
I think whomever nominates the winning book for the month should be responsible for posting discussion questions of some sort on a weekly basis, to help keep the discussion interesting. The few times I managed to read the monthly book, I would check the thread and there didn't seem to be much activity. One or two weekly 'discussion' questions might help keep the conversation active and interesting.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 09:30 PM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
Maybe for something like reading something off the bestseller list (although that would make the nomination process boring).
Bestseller might be a good idea. Would it have to be a current best seller? We could also do other lists too... like Hugo nominees or well, there's got to be other writing awards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
I think whomever nominates the winning book for the month should be responsible for posting discussion questions of some sort on a weekly basis, to help keep the discussion interesting.
That is an interesting idea... but I wonder if it would also discourage people from nominating a book. I think the more casual we make this the more people will play along. I also think the more people we have involved the more traffic the discussion threads will get. As you say, some have been pretty thin while others were quite busy.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 12:33 AM   #5
Superlucky
Fanatic
Superlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toys

Device: PRS-505, PRS-350
Maybe a political month, with stuff like Common Sense, The Communist Manifesto and Mein Kampf. I would imagine it would make for great discussion.

Another idea: a banned books month, where obviously the selection is a book that has been banned by a government at some point. The list is long and varied.
Superlucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-21-2009, 07:59 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Please can we NOT have "contemporary fiction" again? It's too restrictive a category, and pretty much all the books which ended up getting nominated for it this time were NOT in the category at all (SF is NOT contemporary fiction).

Also, if "MobileRead Author" means "a living author who has personally posted one of their books to MR", don't you think that too is extremely restrictive?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 08:13 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'd like to second the recommendation for "genre" months rather than specific sources of books such as "MR". Obvious genres would be:

Crime and Mystery
Horror
Adventure
Horror
Humour
Romance
SF/Fantasy
Biography/Autobiography
Classics

It should be pretty easy to extend this to cover 12 months, if that should be deemed appropriate.

EDIT: I'm not suggesting that "Horror" should really be in there twice . I don't like horror books, personally!

Last edited by HarryT; 09-21-2009 at 08:22 AM.
Old 09-21-2009, 08:20 AM   #8
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd edition, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'd like to second the recommendation for "genre" months rather than specific sources of books such as "MR". Obvious genres would be:

Crime and Mystery
Horror
Adventure
Horror
Humour
Romance
SF/Fantasy
Biography/Autobiography
Classics

It should be pretty easy to extend this to cover 12 months, if that should be deemed appropriate.
I second this. Genres is easier than origin.
Slite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 08:47 AM   #9
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:

Crime and Mystery
Horror
Adventure
Horror
Humour
Romance
SF/Fantasy
Biography/Autobiography
Classics

EDIT: I'm not suggesting that "Horror" should really be in there twice . I don't like horror books, personally!

I agree. Having genre's one might normally read, at least for me, would be a good thing.

While I "get" the whole MR Author thing that's really a pretty limited list isn't it?
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 09:49 AM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
This looks like a good schedule. If a book from a series is nominated, please make it book #1.

January 2010
Science Fiction/Fantasy
February 2010
Mystery/Thriller
March 2010
Nonfiction
April 2010
Humor
May 2010
Classic
June 2010
Any book uploaded to MR
July 2010
Autobiography/Biography
August 2010
Any book not at MR
September 2010
Mystery/Thriller
October 2010
Horror
November 2010
Science Fiction/Fantasy
December 2010
Any book uploaded to MR

Last edited by JSWolf; 09-21-2009 at 10:00 AM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 09:54 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Sorry, Jon, but I don't think that SF/Fantasy should get 3 slots. What about romance - the most popular genre of all?
Old 09-21-2009, 10:00 AM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Sorry, Jon, but I don't think that SF/Fantasy should get 3 slots. What about romance - the most popular genre of all?
Oh did I leave out romance?

Well, I've edited the list and removed SF and made fantasy SF/Fantasy and the last one another free MR book. So there could be two romance if one is voted for.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 10:00 AM   #13
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
This looks like a good schedule. If a book from a series is nominated, please make it book #1.

January 2010
Science Fiction/Fantasy
February 2010
Mystery/Thriller
March 2010
Nonfiction
April 2010
Humor
May 2010
Classic
June 2010
Any book uploaded to MR
July 2010
Autobiography/Biography
August 2010
Any book not at MR
September 2010
Mystery/Thriller
October 2010
Horror
November 2010
Science Fiction
December 2010
Fantasy
I see you left off Romance. Is this just because you don't like it or was there another reason?

Historical Fiction might be a nice genre to consider.

`
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 10:01 AM   #14
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Where's magical realism, dark fantasy, slipstream and speculative fiction in that genre list?
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 10:04 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post
Where's magical realism, dark fantasy, slipstream and speculative fiction in that genre list?
Those all fit into "SF/Fantasy", IMHO. But we really do need a specific "romance" slot, IMHO, regardless of whether or not Jon like it .