Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 05-02-2009, 12:32 AM   #61
Tattncat
Bookworm
Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Tablet, Samsung Galaxy Tab3, Sony PRS700, Sony PRS505
If I had to give up one or the other. I would give up the touch. I have not bought a pbook for myself in since I got my first reader.

I am happy with my reader and wouldn't have it anyother way.
Tattncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 09:31 AM   #62
quickhand
Connoisseur
quickhand can extract oil from cheesequickhand can extract oil from cheesequickhand can extract oil from cheesequickhand can extract oil from cheesequickhand can extract oil from cheesequickhand can extract oil from cheesequickhand can extract oil from cheesequickhand can extract oil from cheesequickhand can extract oil from cheese

Device: Hanlin V3, Sony prs-505, Hanwang n516
I have an ipod touch, a hanlin v3, a sony prs-505, and a Hanvon n516 (the latter three are all e-paper based readers). I would never, ever, even consider reading a book on the ipod touch. Notice I don't even list my ipod touch in the list of reading devices I own. For me, there is no question. Without e-paper, I would just read paper books. An e-book on LCD? Thanks, but no.
quickhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-07-2009, 08:23 PM   #63
cnf
cnf began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by quickhand View Post
I have an ipod touch, a hanlin v3, a sony prs-505, and a Hanvon n516 (the latter three are all e-paper based readers). I would never, ever, even consider reading a book on the ipod touch. Notice I don't even list my ipod touch in the list of reading devices I own. For me, there is no question. Without e-paper, I would just read paper books. An e-book on LCD? Thanks, but no.
I have an iPhone (yes, with stanza installed) and a Sony PRS-505. For the rest the same as above. I adore my iPhone, but I can not read extensively on a backlit active screen. I read lengthy stuff (30+ pages) from e-Ink, or from paper. Or not at all.
cnf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 10:48 AM   #64
rhari79
Addict
rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: .*
I have an Iliad, N95 and now recently have come across a used but good ITouch(got it mainly to get used to the itouch/iphone concept).
I am avoiding getting a new apple device as i want to see if they will release one with expandable memory and better camera in iphone (hopefully may know after june).

I use my n95 mainly for music, camera and RSS via mobireader. Hope to pit the itouch against it now. The Iliad is for the more serious, tech books or the very kiddish, comics.

Hope to put the n95 and the itouch to good use esp since I am really babying my Iliad and so leave it at home all the time.
rhari79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 11:35 AM   #65
jsadd
jsadd began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 1, I Pod Touch
I would keep my Kindle 1 over my I pod Touch. Even though I live in a rural area & do not have the whispernet access. I have to use my computer to get my books, unless I travel 3 hours to get somewhere with wispernet.
I find I read on my Kindle & use my I pod touch for music & a few games.
jsadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-23-2009, 02:39 PM   #66
Mnementh
Groupie
Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra
Hmmm looks like I'm gonna be the contrary one here then

I owned both a Sony PRS-505 and an Ipod Touch. I got rid of the Sony, I hated it. Given the choice between reading on my itouch or an E-ink device the touch wins hands down every time.

First of all I mainly read in bed on my side and the touch is the perfect size to hold in one hand and with stanza it couldn't be easier to turn pages, my eye-sight is very good so I have no problem with reading a small font so I'm not turning pages every second though that wouldn't be a problem as at least with stanza the page turn is instant, that could never be said about the Sony. The Sony was just too big to hold comfortably in one hand and the button positions for me personally were awful. The screen going black when it turned a page was just too off putting for me it detracted from the enjoyment of the book.

The second reason again comes from reading in bed as i like to read with the light off, I read for 3-4 hours a night and I read till I fall asleep, if I have to move to switch the light off I'm awake again and it's another couple of hours before i fall asleep (weird I know...) the touch is perfect for this as it switches itself off after 3 minutes.

I've never had a problem with reading off an lcd screen and being an optician (no longer practicing) I also know that the majority of people who complain of eyestrain when doing so are having a psychsomatic response because they've been "told" that's what will happen. The main reason a lot of people have these problems is they get into a kind of "staring" mode and forget to blink.

The last advantage of the touch over the Sony is the size, the Sony just isn't comfortable unless you're sitting up and can use both hands if you have to and I very rarely read like that, in fact the only time I can think that I do is when travelling on the coach to football games.

Feel free to shoot me down in flames but E-ink in my opinion has a long way to go before it will replace my backlit LCD or Pbooks, though I keep looking at all the new developments hoping one day it will
Mnementh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 06:38 PM   #67
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnementh View Post
The second reason again comes from reading in bed as i like to read with the light off, I read for 3-4 hours a night and I read till I fall asleep, if I have to move to switch the light off I'm awake again and it's another couple of hours before i fall asleep (weird I know...) the touch is perfect for this as it switches itself off after 3 minutes.
This was actually a big advantage I hadn't anticipated with my Wind--the lowest brightness setting is perfectly comfortable to read in the dark, so when I'm nodding, I just lower the lid and set the netbook on my night stand, which makes a much smoother transition to sleep for me than setting a book aside and setting off the light.

I hadn't considered the page-turns issue, but it's something I find more immersive in my netbook than in pbooks, that I have instantaneous one-button page turns.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 06:46 PM   #68
Mnementh
Groupie
Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taosaur View Post
This was actually a big advantage I hadn't anticipated with my Wind--the lowest brightness setting is perfectly comfortable to read in the dark, so when I'm nodding, I just lower the lid and set the netbook on my night stand, which makes a much smoother transition to sleep for me than setting a book aside and setting off the light.
Now you see that wouldn't work for me even the simple act of having to move to put the netbook on the night stand would wake me up again.

I've been reading e-books now for over 10 years starting with a Palm IIIc with palmreader through various ipaqs to my current itouch and they've always had the advantage that I can read in the dark and when I fall asleep they just drop out of my hand and switch themselves off.
Old 05-23-2009, 10:53 PM   #69
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Now you see that wouldn't work for me even the simple act of having to move to put the netbook on the night stand would wake me up again.
Lol, sometimes I just nod off with the notebook still sitting on my chest. Alas, when I do move, and accidentally drop the laptop, I instantly become wide awake.

Needless to say, I've found reading on the iPhone to be much safer, albeit, the clip on the case does poke me on the side, sometimes.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 12:30 AM   #70
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Lol, sometimes I just nod off with the notebook still sitting on my chest. Alas, when I do move, and accidentally drop the laptop, I instantly become wide awake.

Needless to say, I've found reading on the iPhone to be much safer, albeit, the clip on the case does poke me on the side, sometimes.
it's happened once or twice that I conked right out with it on my chest or in the crook of my arm, but the first I try to shift the weight wakes me before disaster strikes.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 05:40 PM   #71
Mare of Earth
Leaver of Hoofmarks
Mare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle Paperwhite 4
I have both a sony 505 and an iTouch. I would rip the arms off of whoever tried to take either one from me. The iTouch does sooooooooooooooooo many things. I use it for most of my computer needs, only turning on the desktop occasionally. My 505 is perfect for when I want something that looks like paper. I like them both - and if I had to chose only one of them, I would probably pick the iTouch, due to the sheer number of things I can do with it, but I would mourn the loss of my 505.

It really ultimately depends on your reading style - what position do you read in, what font size is your preference, etc...
Mare of Earth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 11:01 PM   #72
darkmonk
Connoisseur
darkmonk began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
I've never had a problem with reading off an lcd screen and being an optician (no longer practicing) I also know that the majority of people who complain of eyestrain when doing so are having a psychsomatic response because they've been "told" that's what will happen. The main reason a lot of people have these problems is they get into a kind of "staring" mode and forget to blink.
Are you serious? Are you freaking serious? Please, tell me reading the font at the attached size is OK. Because I read like that a lot, and let me tell you, it gets my eyes sore. Please, tell me I'm not making myself go blind. Because I read really fast, and turning pages gets annoying. And BTW, can I see a screen shot of your stanza setup?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0031.png
Views:	320
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	30987   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0032.png
Views:	298
Size:	122.5 KB
ID:	30988   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0033.png
Views:	308
Size:	142.3 KB
ID:	30989  
darkmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 08:33 AM   #73
Mnementh
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkmonk View Post
Are you serious? Are you freaking serious? Please, tell me reading the font at the attached size is OK. Because I read like that a lot, and let me tell you, it gets my eyes sore. Please, tell me I'm not making myself go blind. Because I read really fast, and turning pages gets annoying. And BTW, can I see a screen shot of your stanza setup?
Erm yes I am serious, I am "freaking" serious... Reading at that font size is fine, if you're capable of resolving each letter at that font size then why would you think it was a problem and might send you blind (bit of a drama queen over-reaction there but oh well...)

If you read really fast (as I also do) then guess what, you have to turn pages, annoying or not sorry there's no way around that it's one of those annoying facts of life.

If anything I'd be more worried about those backgrounds on your inverted pages, they do make the font hard to read in places which will probably give you a headache eventually.

If you tell me how to take a screenshot and post it then I will be more than happy to show you my stanza setup, though it's simply the same as your first shot, black on white with a small font, I never use the inverted view I'm not a fan of it.
Old 06-20-2009, 11:38 AM   #74
darkmonk
Connoisseur
darkmonk began at the beginning.

Device: none
Wow... Thanks a lot. To take a a screenshot, you hold down the power button for 2.5ish seconds, then tap the home button and then release the power button. It will make a flash, and then you can access that screenshot from you computer when you plug it in, as you would a regular camera.
darkmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 12:01 PM   #75
Mnementh
Groupie

Ok Here's a screenshot of my stanza setup.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0001.png
Views:	323
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	30999