Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 10-12-2008, 12:40 PM   #16
GatorDeb
Evangelist
GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: PW2 + HDX 8.9
I'm in! Already got it in the Kindle.
GatorDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 01:43 PM   #17
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I like your idea. Thank you, PsyDocJoanne.

If I can find time, I'll try to join in on the discussion.

Don

(I boldfaced/underlined the author and title so members could easily spot it.)
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-12-2008, 01:48 PM   #18
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
I've been away for a week, so this is new to me. May I join?

Welcome back cornbread girl!
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 11:43 AM   #19
PsyDocJoanne
Loves her 505 and her Z4!
PsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505
Hi everyone!!

I hope you all had a good weekend! Weekends are usually completely swamped for me, so my apologies that I wasn't on the board much these past couple of days.

Per a great suggestion by desertgrandma, I've PM'ed NatCh to see if we can get these book club threads pared down to just one, which hopefully will be made sticky.

In light of this, I'd like to encourage everyone to post book club related questions and comments to this thread. I'll also post to each of the other threads to let folks know.

Thanks!
Joanne
PsyDocJoanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 11:58 AM   #20
PsyDocJoanne
PsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enough

As many of you have seen, I posted up a schedule in one of the other threads with the next 12 months' reading categories.

I'll repost it at the end of this message for anyone who might have missed it.

For November, we'll be reading A Passage to India, by E.M. Forster. The November schedule will be as follows:

November 1st (or before, if you're just totally on fire ): Begin reading
November 17th: Thread for December book nominations opens
November 20th: Nominations thread closes, voting thread opens
November 23rd: Voting thread closes
December 1st: December's read begins

Here's the schedule for the next 12 months. I noticed on the other thread that people are already throwing out suggestions for upcoming months. Since the nomination threads for those months won't open until the week before the month starts, feel free to continue to discuss and post suggestions in this thread.

November
Fiction--A Passage to India, by E.M. Forster

December
MobileRead Classic (can be any genre, but must be a classic and must be available in our library)

January
Science Fiction (can be from anywhere, including our library)

February
MobileRead Contemporary (can be any genre, but must be contemporary and must be available in our library)

March
Nonfiction (can be from anywhere, including our library)

April
MobileRead Author (must be a book from an author who frequents MobileRead)

May
Horror (can be from anywhere, including our library)

June
MobileRead Classic

July
Humor (can be from anywhere, including our library)

August
MobileRead Contemporary

September
Mystery (can be from anywhere, including our library)

October

MobileRead Author

Last edited by PsyDocJoanne; 10-16-2008 at 01:07 PM.
Advert
Old 10-13-2008, 12:16 PM   #21
PsyDocJoanne

I've also been trying to put together a list of everyone who was interested in participating. I'm posting the list below. If you don't see yourself on here, and you'd like to be, please let me know. Conversely, if you don't want to participate and you're on here, let me know and I'll remove you.

I know that not everyone will be able to participate each month, but this will give us a general idea of how many people are interested.

Here's who I have so far:

pilotbob
Richard Herley
cassidym
vivaldirules
GatorDeb
rixte
smithno
Elsi
ShortNCuddlyAm
rab46
jplumey
SLMines
izmi
pshrynk
jerryleejr
atlchica
desertgrandma
cyan
dickon25
Katiesue
DMcCunney
JSWolf
Tattncat
daffy4u
Tommo43
grimo1re
Opalstar
Barcey
badgoodDeb
Sparrow
DixieGal
Laine
Dr. Drib
VillageReader
grooks
Leep
UKHaiku
Mom of 4
cybear
JoeD
Slite

Last edited by PsyDocJoanne; 10-16-2008 at 01:08 PM. Reason: edited to add new Book Club members!
Old 10-13-2008, 12:20 PM   #22
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
I think it's a great idea, and next month's title and the overall schedule look interesting, but my participation may be limited by this silly doctoral program I committed myself to....
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 12:24 PM   #23
PsyDocJoanne

Hi nekokami....

Speaking as someone who finished their doctorate and then was silly enough to enroll in another specialized master's program (this is my 1st semester back), I can totally empathize! You'll be welcomed for whichever months you can find the time to join in!
Old 10-13-2008, 12:58 PM   #24
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Quote:
November 24th: Thread for December book nominations opens
November 27th: Nominations thread closes, voting thread opens
November 30th: Voting thread closes
Errr ... I'm a bit uncomfortable with how soon the read begins after voting ends. I'd like to see a full week between the end of voting and the official beginning on the read along. It's further complicated this time with November 27 being Thanksgiving in the USA, seems like there may be people who won't be online as much as usual due to travel and family activities.

Last edited by Elsi; 10-13-2008 at 01:08 PM.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 01:05 PM   #25
PsyDocJoanne

Hi Elsi,

I'm perfectly amenable to backing the schedule up a bit, so that it looks like this:

So we would open the nominations thread the 3rd week of the month (17th), and close the voting thread a week later on the 23rd, so that there would be a week between the end of the vote and the read starting.

What do folks think?
Old 10-13-2008, 01:31 PM   #26
Richard Herley
Author
Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by PsyDocJoanne View Post

So we would open the nominations thread the 3rd week of the month (17th), and close the voting thread a week later on the 23rd, so that there would be a week between the end of the vote and the read starting.

What do folks think?
Sounds good to me!

Thanks for all your work on this, PsyDocJoanne.
Richard Herley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 01:32 PM   #27
VillageReader
Evangelist
VillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with others

Device: Iliad
I think I'll give it a go. In the worst case I'll be a silent observer
VillageReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 01:35 PM   #28
Tattncat
Bookworm
Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Tablet, Samsung Galaxy Tab3, Sony PRS700, Sony PRS505
Okay. I have a suggestion for Dec. already.
Tattncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 02:10 PM   #29
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-650, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 7
Add me to the list of participants.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 04:28 PM   #30
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by PsyDocJoanne View Post
I've also been trying to put together a list of everyone who was interested in participating. I'm posting the list below. If you don't see yourself on here, and you'd like to be, please let me know. Conversely, if you don't want to participate and you're on here, let me know and I'll remove you.

I know that not everyone will be able to participate each month, but this will give us a general idea of how many people are interested.

Here's who I have so far:

pilotbob
Richard Herley
cassidym
vivaldirules
GatorDeb
rixte
smithno
Elsi
ShortNCuddlyAm
rab46
jplumey
SLMines
izmi
pshrynk
jerryleejr
atlchica
desertgrandma
cyan
dickon25
Katiesue
DMcCunney
JSWolf
Tattncat
daffy4u
Tommo43
grimo1re
Opalstar
Barcey
badgoodDeb
Sparrow
DixieGal
Laine
Dr. Drib
Well! Looks like this will make for a well rounded group, with lots of differing opinions.

tattncat, don't keep us in suspense! what is your suggestion?
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote