Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 10-10-2008, 12:52 PM   #1
PsyDocJoanne
Loves her 505 and her Z4!
PsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505
Official MobileRead Book Club: Welcome thread/November's book choice thread

Welcome to the newly-minted MobileRead Book Club!

I'm really glad that there's enough interest in trying this! I'm hoping it's going to be a fun, educational, and rewarding experience for everyone. My hope is that we all get to try new and different genres and authors, and that we can discuss our ideas and opinions together.

The general idea is that we will all concurrently read one agreed-upon book per month. We will decide the upcoming month's book in a dedicated thread during the 3rd week of the previous month, and start the book on the 1st of the following month. Then, we'll all have three weeks to read, and during the 4th week of the month, we'll open a new thread for open discussion and critique of that month's book.

For November, we'll be reading A Passage to India, by E.M. Forster. The November schedule will be as follows:

November 1st (or before, if you're just totally on fire ): Begin reading
November 17th: Thread for December book nominations opens
November 20th: Nominations thread closes, voting thread opens
November 23rd: Voting thread closes
December 1st: December's read begins

Here's the schedule for the next 12 months. I noticed on the other thread that people are already throwing out suggestions for upcoming months. Since the nomination threads for those months won't open until the week before the month starts, feel free to continue to discuss and post suggestions in this thread.

I would ask that before posting a book for consideration, you check price and format availability. When you make a suggestion, please post both of those things so that folks can determine if it's available for their device as well as if it's affordable. I'd like to cap book prices at $10, if we can agree on that, to make this as inclusive as possible.

November
Fiction--A Passage to India, by E.M. Forster

December
MobileRead Classic (can be any genre, but must be a classic and must be available in our library)

January
Science Fiction (can be from anywhere, including our library)

February
MobileRead Contemporary (can be any genre, but must be contemporary and must be available in our library)

March
Nonfiction (can be from anywhere, including our library)

April
MobileRead Author (must be a book from an author who frequents MobileRead)

May
Horror (can be from anywhere, including our library)

June
MobileRead Classic

July
Humor (can be from anywhere, including our library)

August
MobileRead Contemporary

September
Mystery (can be from anywhere, including our library)

October
MobileRead Author

We're going to give this a go and see what happens...this is the first time I've organized something like this, so your suggestions and advice are always appreciated!

Last edited by PsyDocJoanne; 10-16-2008 at 10:05 PM. Reason: Edited to add content. - boldfaced for ease -Don
PsyDocJoanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 03:23 PM   #2
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
I think this is a great idea. If it takes off maybe there could be a separate BOM club to support indie authors.
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-10-2008, 03:35 PM   #3
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
I'm interested in the idea of a club, but will probably hold off for a while, since this particular book doesn't appeal to me. But I'll watch your progress enthusiasticallly!
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 05:16 PM   #4
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
A Passage to India, by E. M. Forster

Going to Fictionwise right now to get it.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 05:32 PM   #5
izmi
A little bit crazy.
izmi began at the beginning.

Device: Asus F80S.
I will grab myself an e-copy of that at some stage today. I have been meaning to read that book for a while. I think you people are going to be good for me - without university to force me (have graduated), my consumption of the classics has been lacking. I have a list of a few classics that I've been meaning to read, so I can put them forth for the november choices too.
izmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-11-2008, 02:33 PM   #6
Richard Herley
Author
Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
I'm in for A Passage to India, as I said on another thread. As for future book choices, would it not be a good idea to favour titles which are (1) free to download and (2) available in all formats? I'm thinking of what's available at Feedbooks or manybooks.net ... for example, FB have A Room with a View, but not Passage, because it's still in copyright.

That way, nobody would be excluded from joining in. We could also post selected comments and reviews at FB/MB, with links back to the discussion thread. This would introduce a lot of people to MobileRead, and might encourage some to investigate dedicated ebook displays more thoroughly -- lots of FB and MB users read their books on mobile phones and PDAs.
Richard Herley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 02:41 PM   #7
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
I like this idea and I'm in. I think I can afford five bucks.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 03:42 PM   #8
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Herley View Post
As for future book choices, would it not be a good idea to favour titles which are (1) free to download and (2) available in all formats?
I certainly agree it would be nice if we could all get the ebook for free. But, also I don't think we should limit ourselves to this. If you can't afford a $5 once a month why do you have a reader, PC, internet access, etc? If you can't just skip that months... no biggie.

Even if you go with one of your books... even though it is freely obtainable it is not actually free. You are required to pay for it.

Just my 3¢ (inflation you know).

BOb

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 08:28 PM   #9
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
"A Passage to India" is downloaded and ready to read. Right after I finish "And Then There Were None" and "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress"..........talk about different genres!
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 06:59 AM   #10
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
I think this is a great idea!

As it happens, this is a book that appeals to me; but I'm looking forward to being pointed at titles I wouldn't normally pick in future months.

PsyDocJoanne!
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 08:05 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Herley View Post
I'm in for A Passage to India, as I said on another thread. As for future book choices, would it not be a good idea to favour titles which are (1) free to download and (2) available in all formats? I'm thinking of what's available at Feedbooks or manybooks.net ... for example, FB have A Room with a View, but not Passage, because it's still in copyright.

That way, nobody would be excluded from joining in. We could also post selected comments and reviews at FB/MB, with links back to the discussion thread. This would introduce a lot of people to MobileRead, and might encourage some to investigate dedicated ebook displays more thoroughly -- lots of FB and MB users read their books on mobile phones and PDAs.
Please do not forget, Richard, that copyright laws are different in different countries. A Room With a View is indeed in the public domain in the US, but nowhere else in the world, since Forster only died in 1970. It is only the US's unique law that pre-1923 works are PD regardless of the date of the author's death that places it in the public domain in the US. For you or I, living in the UK, A Room With a View is very much under copyright protection and will remain so until 1st Jan 2051.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 08:23 AM   #12
Richard Herley
Author
Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Please do not forget, Richard, that copyright laws are different in different countries. A Room With a View is indeed in the public domain in the US, but nowhere else in the world, since Forster only died in 1970. It is only the US's unique law that pre-1923 works are PD regardless of the date of the author's death that places it in the public domain in the US. For you or I, living in the UK, A Room With a View is very much under copyright protection and will remain so until 1st Jan 2051.
Harry, copyright is a legal quagmire, a dog's breakfast, and its ability to protect the income of creators is rapidly diminishing. Unless you are extremely rich already, or have the backing of a publisher with deep pockets, the chances of your successfully prosecuting a case of copyright infringement are approximately zero.

But I agree with you. As individuals we have a responsibility to respect copyright, for without it, at present, there would be no way for authors, musicians, and the like to make a living -- however meagre.
Richard Herley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 08:47 AM   #13
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I've been away for a week, so this is new to me. May I join?
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 10:05 AM   #14
Laine
Addict
Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O, Voyage
I'd like to be in on this. I read lots and lots. (I'm retired.) And when I'm not reading I'm often embroidering or knitting with my mp3 player reading me a book. 1 or 2 books a month is a cinch.

I like the idea of choosing a different genre each month. Do me good to broaden my reading horizons.

Laine
Laine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 10:51 AM   #15
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
I've been away for a week, so this is new to me. May I join?
Absolutely... the club is totally inclusive. The only requirement to "joining" is reading the book of the month (or maybe you already read it) and joining in on the SPOILERS thread for the book that PscyDocJane will create the 4th week of the month... (or however she does it. She's the boss.)

BOb

PS: Perhaps Alex will even create a Book of the Month Club forum for us. You never know.
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote