Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 10-01-2013, 10:30 AM   #46
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Just as an FYI to my fellow Yanks: the books by Flanagan, Malouf and Modjeska don't seem to be available to us as ebooks and the Winton book won't be released in eformat until the end of next month. There are cheap used pbooks available for all the titles, however.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 11:10 AM   #47
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Curse you bookpossum, I had put Mr. Malouf on my reading list for NEXT year.

Only two of the titles are not available from my library (in paper) and all four of the ones that initially jumped out at me are available.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2013, 11:16 AM   #48
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Did everyone see that Americans will be eligible to win the Booker from now on?
Really? I always liked the Commonwealth aspect of the award. I think it gave us a different set of books as winners than the Pulitzer. I might just be afraid that the short and long lists for the Pulitzer and Booker just become the same as time goes on. In which case, we all lose in the great variety there is out there. Of course, if the Pulitzer can't even give out an award form their own country, maybe I shouldn't worry too much.
Old 10-01-2013, 11:29 AM   #49
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
Really? I always liked the Commonwealth aspect of the award. I think it gave us a different set of books as winners than the Pulitzer. I might just be afraid that the short and long lists for the Pulitzer and Booker just become the same as time goes on. In which case, we all lose in the great variety there is out there. Of course, if the Pulitzer can't even give out an award form their own country, maybe I shouldn't worry too much.
I think it's too bad myself. From my own vantage point, while I have no problem keeping up with American books, the Booker served to highlight books I'd never have heard of otherwise.

However, I am far from jumping to the conclusion that Americans will be all over the long list or even make it, for that matter. I tend to be underwhelmed by the winners of the domestic prizes.
Old 10-01-2013, 11:36 AM   #50
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer

I don't think they will be all over the list, but for every American nomination that appears on the list (and more than likely in te Pulitzer list) it is one other book we won't hear of. That is my only concern. While I believe most awards are just the in-crowd patting each other on the back sometimes I do like hearing names and even countries I may not pay much attention to some days.

I also haven't been overwhelmed by the Pulitzer's I've read recently. In fact most award winners have been pretty lame for me. I did enjoy Paddy Clarke Ha Ha Ha. I think that's the best of the award winners I've read in a while.

It does bring up an interesting discussion for me, especially since I'm thinking of award winners as part of my guide to reading selections for next year.
Advert
Old 10-01-2013, 11:43 AM   #51
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Bookpossum, it looks like your selections for October are no tricks and all treats! I'll have the poll up soon.

ETA - The October vote is now up here.

Last edited by sun surfer; 10-01-2013 at 12:27 PM.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 07:28 PM   #52
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Just as an FYI to my fellow Yanks: the books by Flanagan, Malouf and Modjeska don't seem to be available to us as ebooks and the Winton book won't be released in eformat until the end of next month. There are cheap used pbooks available for all the titles, however.
Oh dear, sorry about that. In my innocence, I thought that if a book was in the ebook catalogue in one country, it would be available elsewhere.

I agree with all the comments about the Booker - I think there is definitely value in differentiation for the reasons already given.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 07:42 PM   #53
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookpossum View Post
Oh dear, sorry about that. In my innocence, I thought that if a book was in the ebook catalogue in one country, it would be available elsewhere.
Not to worry! None of us seems a stickler for format and they all seem easy enough to get--I voted for two of them myself. Content trumps, every time.

At that, one could take a virtual trip to Oz and buy as one wills! Not that I'd ever do it, of course.

Last edited by issybird; 10-01-2013 at 07:46 PM.
Old 10-02-2013, 03:19 PM   #54
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer

^Agreed. I'm certainly not a stickler. I do like the book to be available in some format from my library, but I check before voting and even if the book isn't available from my library or as an ebook, I still might read it through purchase as a paper book. If it sounds interesting enough I will read it.
Old 11-24-2013, 12:32 PM   #55
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

December is approaching; who would like to volunteer to take their turn selecting the nominations for the upcoming rotating month?

(if you have any questions, you can refer to the first post or just ask)
Old 11-27-2013, 08:59 PM   #56
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

There are still days left to go, but I'm a bit surprised that we haven't had a volunteer yet this month, especially since this is only our third month of it so plenty of members left in the pool, but my guess is that it may have something to do with the one-two punch of my asking for volunteers a bit later than last time and this week being a big holiday time for some here. So, I've had the idea that instead of doing a Rotating month for December this year, we could instead do something fun that we've never done in this club - a second chance retrospective month.

If anyone does want to take their turn for December and was still contemplating it, then you are still more than welcome to volunteer to go - we can do a second chance month any time and we'd love to have your nominations for December. I only wanted to offer this alternative now so that no one need feel pressured to volunteer this month at the last minute. Let's give it a day or two and if someone volunteers then great and if not then we'll consider the matter settled and next month will be second chance.

I also want to reiterate that though I understand the volunteering hesitation for this month in particular because of the above-mentioned reasons, it should be enjoyable and all that is really required when one volunteers is a list of 4-8 nominations that are literary and haven't been selected before, so pretty simple, and we're a supportive group of people that I'm sure will find each member's nominations interesting.

Anyway, this being the time, have a happy Hanukkah and/or a happy Thanksgiving to whomever it may apply!
Old 11-28-2013, 11:03 AM   #57
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
I was waiting to see if someone who had never had a choice wanted to make a selection. If no one else wishes to make an attempt, I have in mind to follow Bookpossum's lead and will submit a selection of Anglo-Irish items including one translation from the Irish language.

Would that be all right with everyone? No offence taken if members prefer Sun Surfer's suggestion.
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 11:06 AM   #58
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer

I'm all for Ireland. I want to do Canada some time, but now is not the time for me.
Old 11-28-2013, 11:31 AM   #59
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantasyfan View Post
I was waiting to see if someone who had never had a choice wanted to make a selection. If no one else wishes to make an attempt, I have in mind to follow Bookpossum's lead and will submit a selection of Anglo-Irish items including one translation from the Irish language.

Would that be all right with everyone? No offence taken if members prefer Sun Surfer's suggestion.
Oh, goody! I've been looking forward to your selections--although my TBR list may not thank you.
Old 11-28-2013, 11:53 AM   #60
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantasyfan View Post

Yeah, go for it. A retrospective month would be good some time, but I'm looking forward to your Emerald Isle list.