Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: Which book shall we read for February's discussion?
Portrait of Jennie by Robert Nathan 13 20.63%
Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov 14 22.22%
Circle of Friends by Maeve Binchy 5 7.94%
The Greatest Knight by Elizabeth Chadwick 8 12.70%
Shards of Honor by Lois McMaster Bujold 10 15.87%
Outlander by Diana Gabaldon 14 22.22%
Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen 10 15.87%
A Town Like Alice by Nevil Shute 24 38.10%
Love Story by Erich Segal 11 17.46%
Stardust by Neil Gaiman 22 34.92%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-22-2013, 07:32 AM   #16
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Love Story, eh? I recall that the film was very popular, a real tearjerker. “Love means never having to say you're are sorry.”

A number of years ago I saw some, but not all, episodes of a serialization of A Town Like Alice. It might be nice to read the complete story. Given the length of the television series I am surprised that the book is listed at only 370 pages.

Then of course there is Lolita available.

Last edited by Hamlet53; 01-22-2013 at 07:18 PM.
Old 01-22-2013, 07:36 AM   #17
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Library availability.

A Circle of Friends by Maeve Binchy (Overdrive)

The Greatest Knight by Elizabeth Chadwick (Overdrive)

Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov (Overdrive)

Love Story by Erich Segal (Overdrive)

Outlander by Diana Gabaldon (Overdrive)

Portrait of Jennie (Unavailable)

Shards of Honor by Lois McMaster Bujold (Unavailable)

Stardust by Neil Gaiman (Overdrive)

A Town Like Alice by Neville Shute (Public domain, MR)

Water For Elephants by Sara Gruen (Overdrive)

Overdrive is U.S. Centric, and a link is provided.
Public domain is Life +50 centric.

Last edited by John F; 01-22-2013 at 09:35 AM.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-22-2013, 08:21 AM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
By the way, for those on a budget, Shard of Honor and Barrayar in a single volume is only $5 from BAEN. This makes it the second most economical choice available for February. There is no DRM and it comes in a number of different formats. So there is no need to have to strip and convert.

http://www.baenebooks.com/p-85-cordelias-honor.aspx

Last edited by JSWolf; 01-22-2013 at 08:24 AM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:23 AM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Library availability.
Love Story is available at some libraries via Overdrive.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:41 AM   #20
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
By the way, for those on a budget, Shard of Honor and Barrayar in a single volume is only $5 from BAEN. This makes it the second most economical choice available for February.
That would be second to all that are available through libraries then?
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-22-2013, 08:41 AM   #21
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Love Story is available at some libraries via Overdrive.
Could you provide an Overdrive link?

When I try to Search on Overdrive I get a "You're search could not be completed", which is why I put in a TBD above. This has been going on since yesterday.

I believe it is available as I can get to it through FLP.

And for all you FLP members, how about doing a search for it and clicking on "Recommend"?
Old 01-22-2013, 08:55 AM   #22
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asawi View Post
That would be second to all that are available through libraries then?
Not everyone can get the eBooks from Overdrive or there is a waiting list too long to get it in time to read. I'm going based on buying.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:55 AM   #23
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:

When I try to Search on Overdrive I get a "You're search could not be completed", which is why I put in a TBD above. This has been going on since yesterday.

And for all you FLP members, how about doing a search for it and clicking on "Recommend"?
That is odd. I just searched FLP, and Love Story is not available there. Indeed nothing by Erich Segal is.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:59 AM   #24
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:

FLP does not have Love Story as an eBook.

Here is the Overdrive link. http://search.overdrive.com/ti/f95c3...ve-story-ebook
Old 01-22-2013, 09:28 AM   #25
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
Welcome Dee Q. Hope you enjoy the book club. There's some really smart people here. I learn something with every discussion.
And then there's the rest of us....

Welcome to the club Dee Q. Hope you'll join in on the eventual discussions on the winner(s).
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:29 AM   #26
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet53 View Post
That is odd. I just searched FLP, and Love Story is not available there. Indeed nothing by Erich Segal is.
Sorry, maybe I was a little vague.

Do a search on "Love", then click on "additional Titles" (Upper right), then enter "Segal" in search within results.

It won't be available for checkout, but you will be able click on the ebook, and then click on "Recommend".

By "Recommending" it, you are requesting that it be added to the FLP library. I've had mixed success with this in the past.

Last edited by John F; 01-22-2013 at 09:37 AM.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:36 AM   #27
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
FLP does not have Love Story as an eBook.

Here is the Overdrive link. http://search.overdrive.com/ti/f95c3...ve-story-ebook
Thanks.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:56 AM   #28
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet53 View Post
Love Story, eh? I recall that the film was very popular, a real tearjerker. “Love means never having to say your are sorry.”

A number of years ago I saw some, but not all, episodes of a serialization of A Town Like Alice. It might be nice to read the complete story. Given the length of the television series I am surprised that the book is listed at only 370 pages.

Then of course there is Lolita available.
A Town like Alice is one of those cases where the television show is superior to the book.

I wouldn't want to go on record as to whether the book or film of Love Story is better!
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:02 AM   #29
Dee Q
Born Yesterday
Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 2 & 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
Welcome to the club Dee Q. Hope you'll join in on the eventual discussions on the winner(s).
Thanks! I'll sure do. Fortunately, we have our national holiday in Feb and I'm going have 20 days off from work. Just perfect for this whole business. Haha!
Dee Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:39 AM   #30
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
True. Of the whole list I think maybe 2 or 3 at the most are true "Romance"...
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
I'd say that's pushing it.

...if folks weren't willing to try an actual Romance, maybe something outside there regular comfort zone then why vote for it, makes no sense. You can only broaden your horizons if there's something there for you to broaden them on...
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
...I see the club as a great way to try different genre's that I might not normally try. I'd think others would feel the same way, that's why it's too bad that almost nothing that made the poll really fits the category very well. That's not to say the nominated books aren't good books.
I've always liked the Romance category because it leads to an interesting and varied selection that may include different types of books but has a connecting link of romance.

I'd say this month's nominations are a success. I think, looking at their descriptions, that eight of the ten nominees have strong romantic elements in them.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote