Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-23-2012, 12:45 PM   #1
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
OFCOM Online copyright infringement tracker benchmark study Q3 2012

Some PDFs to download:

http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/mar...right-research

------------------------

Won't let me copy/paste any interesting points, but it says 16% of UK internet users download unauthorised files, and of those people who do, only 11% of them download ebooks.

So presumably not much to worry about for book writers?

It also says 62% of them are in the ABC1 demographic, which is upper class (idle rich), middle class (managers, etc) and lower middle class (supervisors, junior managers, etc).

That one was a surprise to me.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 05:00 PM   #2
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
I wonder if the numbers downloading books have reduced significantly recently, in light of the taking down of a well known library site and its associated file hosting operation earlier this year.
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-25-2012, 06:37 PM   #3
taustin
Wizard
taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr ploppy View Post
Some PDFs to download:

http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/mar...right-research

------------------------

Won't let me copy/paste any interesting points, but it says 16% of UK internet users download unauthorised files, and of those people who do, only 11% of them download ebooks.

So presumably not much to worry about for book writers?
Depends. By itself, that number doesn't mean much. If books are, say, 50% of the overall market, then no, it's not a big deal. But if they're, say, 1%, then it's a very big deal. It suspect that 16% is in line with the relative size of the markets.

Quote:
It also says 62% of them are in the ABC1 demographic, which is upper class (idle rich), middle class (managers, etc) and lower middle class (supervisors, junior managers, etc).

Doesn't surprise me in the least. Greater opportunity, and greater interest in pinching every penny even on luxury items.
taustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 12:54 AM   #4
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Quote:

A sense of entitlement?
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 01:19 AM   #5
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
A sense of entitlement?
Well its not shocking to find that only 11% of the downloaders pirate ebook as that is I think the % percentage of people that read.
Ebook reading has still not gone mainstream yet and people that own readers, tablets and smartphones etc are still from the upper middle class or are teenagers that don't read. As the smartphone and Tablet penetration reaches everyone you will that would change.
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-26-2012, 03:51 PM   #6
James_Wilde
Guru
James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Iriver Story
Quote:

The grunts have enough crap to occupy their idle hours on all the television channels, and not much interest in looking for anything of a higher intellectual level.

</cynicism>
James_Wilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 05:16 PM   #7
Fluribus
Guru
Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:

Perhaps the working poor don't have the free time, knowledge, or interest in seeking out illicit files. Many of the files (not so much books and songs) are rather large and require a speedy internet connection.

If I were going to steal stuff, I'd much rather go after cash (or items that could easily be converted to cash) or things of material use. As much as I love books, I wouldn't be planning to heist a bookstore

"Smitty, clean out the science fiction aisle. Freddie and Mitch, hit the history section like a horde of Huns. Al, you get the classics. And, Al, if you sneak in any more of those Harlequin novels..."
Fluribus is offline   Reply With Quote