Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 01-29-2012, 04:36 PM   #1
Kycoo
Kycoo began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire (1st Gen and HD 8.9), Kindle Touch
Font size of STR v. Kindle 3

Reading the same ebook (Black Library novels ) in both the STR and Kindle 3, I notice that I cannot get the same comfortable font size in the STR. More specifically, there is a noticeably big jump in text size between the second to largest and third to largest font sizes on my STR.

I thought this is normal for epubs in general, so I was just putting up with the larger font size and having to make more page turns. That is, until I loaded the same books on my Kindle 3 (Black Library provides both mobi and epub). And I like the font size increment of the Kindle 3 way better -- but I hate using the page turn buttons. Much prefer the touch control of the STR.

Is this font size increment the same for all STRs, or I just have a bad STR?

Thanks for any information you can send my way.
Kycoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 08:11 PM   #2
tecweston
Comic book artist
tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight, iPad, iPhone
One thing I preferred about my old Kobo touch to the Nook STR was the variety in font sizes. There was a little slider and you could move it in small increments to get exactly the size you wanted. On the Nook STR it's a little more difficult to get a perfect size.

Sometimes I read on the smallest size font, and sometimes the next-to-smallest size, depending on how much light is available. I wish there was a size in between the two, though, because the smallest is too small and the next-to-smallest is just a tad too big.
tecweston is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-30-2012, 11:06 AM   #3
azazel1024
Groupie
azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook simple touch, iPad 2
There just aren't a whole lot of steps on the nook ST. My only real annoyance is that the font size varries from book to book, even if I am not using the publisher defaults. C'est la vie. Its easy enough to have to reset the text size every time I start a new book.

I generally use the 2nd to smallest or sometimes the 3rd to smallest text size. It gets me somewhere roughly the text size I am used to in paperback books.
azazel1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 11:35 AM   #4
Kycoo

Thanks for the info.

I tried books from other publishers and it is definitely an issue with the font size increment of the STR, not the books. Oh well
Old 01-30-2012, 11:51 AM   #5
EldRick
Evangelist
EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Aura H2O (i86, M96C, Mini&Glo, PRS-950, STR, K-Touch, K-DX, K-3)
"it is definitely an issue with the font size increment of the STR, not the books"

Agreed - Kindle, Kobo and Bookeen all provide much more useful type size selection than the STR.

One workaround is to use calibre to "convert" books to use more convenient sizes.
EldRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-30-2012, 12:32 PM   #6
Kycoo

I broke down and just ordered an ad-supported Kindle Touch for $99. Problem solved: touch control with good font sizes.