Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-15-2016, 04:48 PM   #1
mendesitba
Connoisseur
mendesitba began at the beginning.

Device: KPW, Ipad 2, Note 5
Block firmware update in KPW2 without jailbreak is possible?

Greetings. I have a Kindle Paperwhite 2, with 5.6.5 firmware. I would like to know if it is possible to block the auto update without a jailbroken device.

In some threads, I saw people suggesting to block Amazon's IPs in the internet router, but unfortunately, there is no list if IPs to block in these threads. Is it really possible to do this?Does someone have this IP list?

If it is not possible, I would like to try something different, but I need to know how the download of the firmware behaves if I turn on Airplane Mode before it is finished.

For instance, if I only turn on WiFi for 5 minutes daily (I receive daily news in my Kindle device through WiFi - not only Calibre originated ones) and after these 5 min I turn on the Airplane Mode, how the download of new firmware will behave? It will delete the file and start from 0% when I turn on WiFi in the following day or it will pause the download, and when I turn on WiFi it will start from where it was paused in the previous day?

Thank You!

Last edited by mendesitba; 02-15-2016 at 05:10 PM.
mendesitba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 04:54 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The latter.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-15-2016, 05:05 PM   #3
mendesitba
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The latter.
This is sad... But, is it possible to delete the file? So Kindle would have to restart from 0%.

And what about blocking Amazon IPs, is it a feasible plan?

Last edited by mendesitba; 02-15-2016 at 05:28 PM.
Old 02-16-2016, 07:36 PM   #4
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Amazon IPs are included for use in the BBB filter.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 04:22 AM   #5
oblox
Zealot
oblox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oblox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oblox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oblox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oblox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oblox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oblox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oblox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oblox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oblox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oblox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (7th Gen)
There was some ideas in the backdoorlock thread about creating files/folders with specific names that will stop the download of updates so you could try that although I dont think its 100% conclusive.
oblox is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-17-2016, 04:57 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Why do updates concern you? They will have no impact on your jailbreak. If you really don't want an update, just leave WiFi turned off and sideload your books via USB.
Old 02-17-2016, 03:14 PM   #7
PRS-T2
Connoisseur
PRS-T2 has read every ebook posted at MobileReadPRS-T2 has read every ebook posted at MobileReadPRS-T2 has read every ebook posted at MobileReadPRS-T2 has read every ebook posted at MobileReadPRS-T2 has read every ebook posted at MobileReadPRS-T2 has read every ebook posted at MobileReadPRS-T2 has read every ebook posted at MobileReadPRS-T2 has read every ebook posted at MobileReadPRS-T2 has read every ebook posted at MobileReadPRS-T2 has read every ebook posted at MobileReadPRS-T2 has read every ebook posted at MobileRead

Device: Sony PRS-T2, Kindle PW2, Oasis 3
I'm on permanent airplane mode, too but miss the Wikipedia feature in some books. My PW3 is jailbroken but I want to stay on 5.6.5 because I don't wanna lose the bars in list view, which show my reading progress in relation to the length of the book and the fast and simple way to see how my books compare as far as length goes...
PRS-T2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 03:48 PM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Fair enough.
Old 02-17-2016, 05:57 PM   #9
mendesitba
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Why do updates concern you? They will have no impact on your jailbreak. If you really don't want an update, just leave WiFi turned off and sideload your books via USB.
Hello!
As i wrote in the title of the topic, I don't have a Jailbroken Kindle. I don't want to have it updated because I want to jailbreak it in the future, I don't have time to do it now.
Regarding sideloading books, I have been doing it. But as I said, I need to turn on the wifi at least 5 min daily because there is a news clipping I'm paying the subscription that daily send me some pdocs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Amazon IPs are included for use in the BBB filter.
I swear you I read all pages on this thread and even then I couldn't find the IPs. Is it inside the files? I also downloaded the files but I could not find the IPs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oblox View Post
There was some ideas in the backdoorlock thread about creating files/folders with specific names that will stop the download of updates so you could try that although I dont think its 100% conclusive.
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll take a look in it. But this is supposed to work in a non-jailbroken device?

BTW, no one knows the name of the file through Amazon update the Kindle? I'm thinking that the easiest solution for me, beside discovering Amazon IPs, would be deleting the update file everyday after I turn on the WiFi device; this way Kindle would have to restart the download every time I turn on the WiFi, but since I'll only turn it on for 5 minutes a day, they will never be able to complete the download.

EDIT: @eschwartz, in another thread, has indicated me to a thread in which my solutions seems to be.
It seems to be the same solution that @oblox suggested above, and it is supposed to work in a non-jailbroken device.

I will copy the relevant parts of the thread in case anyone in the future want to prevent Kindle from updating in a non-jailbroken device. I have not yet tested it. I don't know in which devices and firmware versions it will work.. The link is: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho....php?p=3254996

Quote:
The other two -
They are both the same sad song, only the names have been changed
In the top level of user storage, as seen over the USB cable when connected to a computer (no jb required):
UPDATE~.BIN
This file name is one used by the OTA update process, the update_*whatever*.bin is renamed to this name to be processed.

Create a folder by this name - all uppercase, with the ~ and the uppercase extension.
Enter the folder and create a file by the name:
.keepme
Yes, the first character is a period.

Uncertain if any versions of the firmware can detect and circumvent this one.
testWrite.txt
Capitalization exactly as shown.

Create a folder by this name.
.keepme

What effect this has on the update process, if any, is unknown.
But it certainly makes the indexer get its panties in a bunch.
(Your books may not get indexed - but the 5.6.x indexer does not get caught in a loop as in earlier firmware versions.)

Going by the ;dm log files, there are a lot of things that use this hard-coded file-name to discover if user storage is writable.

I actually expected this one to crash my PW-3 - - but it hasn't yet.

Last edited by mendesitba; 02-17-2016 at 06:21 PM.
Old 02-17-2016, 08:17 PM   #10
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Yup, there are a couple different methods of protecting yourself.

re: the IP addresses, it is inside the hack. The hack is a set of iptables filters, so just consult the bundled filterset.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 08:11 PM   #11
mendesitba
Connoisseur

Hello all!

I would like to give you some feedback about the method to prevent Kindle from upgrading.

I used the following method in a Kindle with 5.6.5 firmware and without jailbreak.

Quote:
UPDATE~.BIN
This file name is one used by the OTA update process, the update_*whatever*.bin is renamed to this name to be processed.

Create a folder by this name - all uppercase, with the ~ and the uppercase extension.
.keepme

Uncertain if any versions of the firmware can detect and circumvent this one.
I would like to report that this method did not work on my Kindle.
I have used it, but even then I kept the airplane mode on most of time. I only turn airplane mode off when I need to download some daily news I receive on my Kindle. But one day I forgot to turn it on again, and when I opened my Kindle, it has upgraded to the new firmware
Old 03-07-2016, 11:52 PM   #12
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
@mendesitba: This might interest you:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...01#post3275701
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 02:53 PM   #13
Eliy
Eliy began at the beginning.

Device: KPW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mendesitba View Post
I would like to know if it is possible to block the auto update without a jailbroken device.
I am create empty folder named update.bin.tmp.partial into main directory. It works on 100%.

P.S. Sorry for my bad English
Eliy is offline   Reply With Quote