Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 09-20-2011, 05:52 PM   #46
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool this kind of stuff

this is the kind of stuff that makes me like the dresden files a lot:

Quote:
“They’re killing people, and if we don’t stop them they’re going kill a lot more. Especially me, because I know too much. I’m a danger to them. But I don’t want that. I don’t want anyone to get killed. Not us, and not them. Maybe they deserve it. Maybe not. The power they grabbed has turned into a drug for them, and they’re not really in control of themselves anymore. I just don’t think we’d be much different than them if we went in there planning to wipe them out. It isn’t enough to stand up and fight darkness. You’ve got to stand apart from it, too. You’ve got to be different from it.”
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 06:29 PM   #47
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
this is the kind of stuff that makes me like the dresden files a lot:
Yep! I was very surprised by his decision to fight fire with fire - if you don't already, you'll recognize it when it comes. I wasn't sure if his choice was acceptable by White Council rules, but Morgan didn't show up afterward, so I figured it was okay.

Oh, I decided to stick to my original plan, so it could be a week or so before I read Grave Peril.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-20-2011, 09:11 PM   #48
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Cool hmmmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
Yep! I was very surprised by his decision to fight fire with fire - if you don't already, you'll recognize it when it comes. I wasn't sure if his choice was acceptable by White Council rules, but Morgan didn't show up afterward, so I figured it was okay.
i never thought that it was something that morgan (or the council) could have misinterpreted as anything other than self-defense (of course harry has claimed that before and it mostly worked out) so i suppose your surprise was warranted.

Quote:
Oh, I decided to stick to my original plan, so it could be a week or so before I read Grave Peril.
made a decision, huh?

oh, i just started re-reading 'grave peril'.
Old 09-20-2011, 09:20 PM   #49
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
i never thought that it was something that morgan (or the council) could have misinterpreted as anything other than self-defense (of course harry has claimed that before and it mostly worked out) so i suppose your surprise was warranted.
I wasn't sure if it fell under the magic vs human rules. I mean sure the humans were using a form of magic, but still. Plus, I don't know how forgiving the council is willing to be after the whole DoD situation. I know that technically its been lifted, but I'm guessing they're still keeping a close eye on him.

Quote:
made a decision, huh?

Oh man, really? You did that on purpose didn't you!
Old 09-20-2011, 09:26 PM   #50
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool nope

Quote:
...Oh man, really? You did that on purpose didn't you!
nope, it was in my already-formed plans.
Advert
Old 09-20-2011, 09:27 PM   #51
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Finished two non-fictions that have been on my TBR list for too long and just started Grave Peril myself.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 09:29 PM   #52
Nyssa
Series Addict

Quote:
nope, it was in my already-formed plans.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
Finished two non-fictions that have been on my TBR list for too long and just started Grave Peril myself.
Sigh...stop reading them so fast! My wallet can't keep up...LOL
Old 09-21-2011, 04:22 AM   #53
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
My library had books 1-6 and 7-12 as ebook sets.
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 07:50 AM   #54
Nyssa
Series Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filark View Post
My library had books 1-6 and 7-12 as ebook sets.
None of the libraries in my county have e-books and the closest one to allow non-resident lending is approx. 3 hours away.
Old 09-21-2011, 09:12 AM   #55
tilia
Evangelist
tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, K3
When I started reading Storm Front this summer, I liked it, but other books lured me away. Not sure why, it wasn‘t bad. I guess I just had other books that I wanted to read.

I was able to borrow the audio book, just finished listening to that a couple of days ago. I liked it a lot, but think I'm going to read the next one. My mind wanders easily while listening, and I know I missed bits and pieces. Maybe I'll listen to the audio books for a reread sometime; James Marsters did a very good job with the first one.

I’m not going to read the series as fast as *some other* people though. There’re so many books I want to read (just finished the first Mistborn book, and started The Vorkosigan Saga). And besides, if I like a series, I don’t want to finish it *too* fast, or rather, I’ll want to, but will try not to… Listening to Storm Front made me want to read Fool Moon, so I’m not going to wait too long.

No strong feelings about Karrin Murphy yet. Maybe after I’ve read some more.
tilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 09:20 AM   #56
Lizzie in Ma
Connoisseur
Lizzie in Ma is a name known to allLizzie in Ma is a name known to allLizzie in Ma is a name known to allLizzie in Ma is a name known to allLizzie in Ma is a name known to allLizzie in Ma is a name known to allLizzie in Ma is a name known to allLizzie in Ma is a name known to allLizzie in Ma is a name known to allLizzie in Ma is a name known to allLizzie in Ma is a name known to all

Device: Nook, Kindle 3, Vizio 8" tablet runn and Samsung Galaxy running Aldiko
Quote:
Originally Posted by tilia View Post
When I started reading Storm Front this summer, I liked it, but other books lured me away. Not sure why, it wasn‘t bad. I guess I just had other books that I wanted to read.

I was able to borrow the audio book, just finished listening to that a couple of days ago. I liked it a lot, but think I'm going to read the next one. My mind wanders easily while listening, and I know I missed bits and pieces. Maybe I'll listen to the audio books for a reread sometime; James Marsters did a very good job with the first one.

I’m not going to read the series as fast as *some other* people though. There’re so many books I want to read (just finished the first Mistborn book, and started The Vorkosigan Saga). And besides, if I like a series, I don’t want to finish it *too* fast, or rather, I’ll want to, but will try not to… Listening to Storm Front made me want to read Fool Moon, so I’m not going to wait too long.

No strong feelings about Karrin Murphy yet. Maybe after I’ve read some more.
Glad you enjoyed it, I adore James Marsters but didn't really like his reading of the books.
I much prefer him like this...
Lizzie in Ma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 10:06 AM   #57
tilia
Evangelist
tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzie in Ma View Post
Glad you enjoyed it, I adore James Marsters but didn't really like his reading of the books.
I much prefer him like this...

Spike is my favourite character from Buffy/Angel.
tilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 10:09 AM   #58
Nyssa
Series Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilia View Post
Exactly why I too am switching between a few series. It's just hard to stick to the plan at times.
Old 09-21-2011, 10:11 AM   #59
siraks
use the force
siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Lenovo K1
Quote:
Exactly why I too am switching between a few series. It's just hard to stick to the plan at times.
i thought the same thing and started grave peril this morning by reading the first chapter before work. ack.

but i will veer from dresden afterwards when another urban fantasy book i've been waiting for gets released, i don't want to mention it and stray from the dresden path in the thread.
siraks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 10:15 AM   #60
Nyssa
Series Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by siraks View Post
i thought the same thing and started grave peril this morning by reading the first chapter before work. ack.

but i will veer from dresden afterwards when another urban fantasy book i've been waiting for gets released, i don't want to mention it and stray from the dresden path in the thread.
Great, now you've got me curious! Hmm.. Put it in spoilers w/ the caveat that it is to be discussed in it's own thread instead of this one?

Tags
fantasy series, magic, supernatural, the dresden files, urban fantasy