Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-04-2011, 11:20 AM   #136
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool whoops...

wow, no new posts yet this month

last night i finished my re-read of 'dead beat' i've noticed during this 2nd reading of all the dresden files novels & short stories, that the enjoyment and appreciation seems to increase with each successive book.
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 12:31 PM   #137
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
wow, no new posts yet this month

last night i finished my re-read of 'dead beat' i've noticed during this 2nd reading of all the dresden files novels & short stories, that the enjoyment and appreciation seems to increase with each successive book.
I've heard others say the same.

As for me, I'm currently reading Anne of Avonlea and The Island of Dr. Moreau. Then, I move on to book 3 in the Rachel Morgan series. Grave Peril comes after that, at which point I'll probably go ahead and buy book 4 of Dresden.

My plan is to continue with all 3 series until they're done, while adding in book club selections along the way. Dresden may take a little longer than usual since I have to buy them as I go.

I'm hoping to get a lot of reading done in December as I will probably skip the Classic for that month. It really will depend on what's nominated. I've been wanting to reintroduce myself to Dickens and I have 3 of his "Cheistmas" stories, so I may nominate one of them. I'll just have to wait and see where things are at that time.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-04-2011, 01:10 PM   #138
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Cool hmmmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
I've heard others say the same.

As for me, I'm currently reading Anne of Avonlea and The Island of Dr. Moreau. Then, I move on to book 3 in the Rachel Morgan series. Grave Peril comes after that, at which point I'll probably go ahead and buy book 4 of Dresden.

My plan is to continue with all 3 series until they're done, while adding in book club selections along the way. Dresden may take a little longer than usual since I have to buy them as I go.

I'm hoping to get a lot of reading done in December as I will probably skip the Classic for that month. It really will depend on what's nominated. I've been wanting to reintroduce myself to Dickens and I have 3 of his "Cheistmas" stories, so I may nominate one of them. I'll just have to wait and see where things are at that time.
i'm 2 shy of having read all of the published hollows books, black magic sanction and pale demon.
Old 10-04-2011, 01:41 PM   #139
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
i'm 2 shy of having read all of the published hollows books, black magic sanction and pale demon.
Have you read the short stories? I'm incorporating those as well. Unfortunatly, they're not in a single book like the Dresden stories.

I recently finished Undead in the Garden of Good and Evil. It is a prequel about Ivy; very intense! It explains quite a bit.
Old 10-04-2011, 02:08 PM   #140
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I have a six-hour drive tomorrow, so I'll be listening to the Storm Front audiobook during the drive. I got to disc three last time, hopefully it'll last me the whole trip.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-04-2011, 03:33 PM   #141
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool really!?!

Quote:
Have you read the short stories? I'm incorporating those as well. Unfortunatly, they're not in a single book like the Dresden stories.
nope, didn't know about them, what are the titles/authors of the collections that they are in.

Quote:
I recently finished Undead in the Garden of Good and Evil. It is a prequel about Ivy; very intense! It explains quite a bit.
never heard of it, or maybe heard of it and ignored it as the term 'undead' is a negative for me. i know that's odd considering it's me.
Old 10-04-2011, 05:33 PM   #142
Nyssa
Series Addict

The Hollows/Rachel Morgan Bonus Stories

Quote:
nope, didn't know about them, what are the titles/authors of the collections that they are in.

never heard of it, or maybe heard of it and ignored it as the term 'undead' is a negative for me. i know that's odd considering it's me.
Just got home... here are the Rachel Morgan short stories and the anthologies in which they are included:

Spoiler:

* Undead in the Garden of Good and Evil

A novella prequel centered on the character Ivy Tamwood, in Dates from Hell (April 1, 2006, ISBN 0-06-085409-X)—anthology with Kelley Armstrong, Lynsay Sands, and Lori Handeland.

* Two Ghosts for Sister Rachel

A novella prequel centered on the character Rachel Morgan in Holidays Are Hell (October 30, 2007, ISBN 978-0-06-123909-0)—anthology with Lynsay Sands, Marjorie M. Liu, and Vicki Pettersson.

* Dirty Magic

A short story centered around the banshee Mia in the anthology Hotter Than Hell. (June 24, 2008, ISBN 978-0061161292)—anthology with Lilith Saintcrow, Tanya Huff and others

* The Bridges of Eden Park

A short story included in the paperback edition of For a Few Demons More.

* The Bespelled

A short story about Ceri and Algaliarept, included in the paperback edition of The Outlaw Demon Wails.

* Ley Line Drifter

A short story focused on Hallows characters Jenks and Bis working together to solve a case in Unbound (August 25, 2009, ISBN 0061699934)—anthology with Melissa Marr, Jeaniene Frost, Vicki Pettersson, and Jocelynn Drake.

I've just realized that I read Undead in the Garden of Good and Evil out of order. I should have read it first. I'm trying to read the books in chronological order ( by publish date), which means I should have read Two Ghosts for Sister Rachel before starting book 2.

Oh well.

Edit:
Added spoilers tags to hopefully lessen confusion.

Last edited by Nyssa; 10-05-2011 at 05:35 PM. Reason: Added Explination & Spoiler Tags
Old 10-04-2011, 06:15 PM   #143
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool thanks

Last edited by alansplace; 10-04-2011 at 06:25 PM.
Old 10-05-2011, 08:30 AM   #144
OneandonlyDoc
Fearless Writer
OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi
Doesn't he have stories in the Supernatural Wedding/Honeymoon anthologies?
OneandonlyDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 09:44 AM   #145
Nyssa
Series Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneandonlyDoc View Post
Doesn't he have stories in the Supernatural Wedding/Honeymoon anthologies?
Yes, please see post #115.
The short stories in my last post are for the Hollows/Rachel Morgan series. Sorry for the confusion.

Last edited by Nyssa; 10-05-2011 at 09:47 AM.
Old 10-05-2011, 10:38 AM   #146
OneandonlyDoc
Fearless Writer
OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi
Quote:
The short stories in my last post are for the Hollows/Rachel Morgan series. Sorry for the confusion.
Bleh, my bad for not reading back to check! Sorry about that.
OneandonlyDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 10:59 AM   #147
Nyssa
Series Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneandonlyDoc View Post
Bleh, my bad for not reading back to check! Sorry about that.
No worries! Very few people read over 100+ posts.

When I get home this evening I'll add links to the first post.
Old 10-05-2011, 11:23 AM   #148
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
While I've only managed to finish book 4 (Summer Knight), I've found the writing to be increasingly enjoyable as the series comes along. Characters have become more rounded and the writing itself feels tighter.

Like Nyssa, I've got a big TBR pile to get through, so I'll probably not get to #5 (Death Masks) until somewhere near the end of this month.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 01:09 PM   #149
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool rofl...

Quote:
where's a moderator when you need one!?
Old 10-05-2011, 02:28 PM   #150
siraks
use the force
siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Lenovo K1
currently flipping through grave peril. it's going slow with no time to read lately. 35% i think in just under 2 weeks. hoping to just relax and read during the long weekend coming up.
siraks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fantasy series, magic, supernatural, the dresden files, urban fantasy