Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: October 2010 Mobile Read Book Club Vote
The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson 22 25.88%
Risen by Jan Strnad 41 48.24%
Darkly Dreaming Dexter by Jeff Lindsay 22 25.88%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-01-2010, 12:45 PM   #61
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Paperwhite
It should be DRM-free at Amazon. Apparently they are matchng Kobobooks' 20% discount.

And I do have an epub with clickable Table of Contents that I will send to anyone who buys the epub version from a retailer. Smashwords' "meatgrinder" formating program couldn't handle the ToC, but if you'll PM me your email, I'll send the better-formatted epub.
J. Strnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 10:57 AM   #62
Peake
Peake began at the beginning.

Device: none
I just got Risen from Amazon, and can confirm it is DRM free.

Regards,
Peake
Peake is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-02-2010, 06:03 PM   #63
sulhi
sulhi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Just got the book and will start after finishing Suskind's Perfume. I am not a gore-horror fan but if it is like Lovecraft's psychological ones, i am looking forward to read it.
sulhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 11:23 AM   #64
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
Sweet, gas didn't cost as much as I though, so I can buy it....yes $3.00 was breaking the bank for me unfortunately this pay period. I'll purchase this soon, and read it next!
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 11:41 AM   #65
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Okay, I've jumped on the "Risen" boat as well. I'm a one book at a time reader but I moved it up to my next read so I can join in on the discussions.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-04-2010, 12:04 PM   #66
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
J&H is a short story rather than a novel, I always felt. Wonderful stuff ... and the title entered our vocabulary. Not sure, though, that it may not already have been well over-reviewed, analyzed and taken apart by literary critics, shrinks and movie makers in the past. What's to add? Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 12:51 PM   #67
recluse
Banned
recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2
I've been doing some thinking about your earlier post concerning classifying horror, Neil.
There was some heated discussions concerning that subject in the 80s. Author Charles L. Grant was very vocal about it. He wrote "quiet horror", no gore, very dreamlike/nightmarish. The opposition was called "splatterpunk", pure gore.
I recommend the books "Horror: 100 Best Books" & "Horror: Another 100 Best Books" edited by Stephen Jones and Kim Newman. They explore a fair amount of horror that defies the genre boundaries. And make a strong point concerning authors refusal to have their work dubbed horror.
Personally, I like the classification "dark fiction".

Jon
recluse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 03:56 PM   #68
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Speaking of classifying horror, what exactly is it that makes Darkly Dreaming Dexter horror?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 04:15 PM   #69
recluse
Banned
recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

In Reality, not a damn thing.

But if you check the nomination thread, you'll find that I was told that it is horror because it was nominated and got two votes to make the list and that "The genre is not set in stone".
I think it was HarryT, but I may be wrong.

Inmates running the asylum....
Old 10-04-2010, 04:16 PM   #70
Quake1028
Guru
Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: See signature
I'm about 50% into Risen and liking it, but not LOVING it so far. I hope to finish it up tomorrow. Didn't get a chance to read much this weekend.
Quake1028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 05:18 PM   #71
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by recluse View Post
In Reality, not a damn thing.

But if you check the nomination thread, you'll find that I was told that it is horror because it was nominated and got two votes to make the list and that "The genre is not set in stone".
I think it was HarryT, but I may be wrong.

Inmates running the asylum....
I didn't think it was horror either. Just because three people are wrong doesn't make it right. So if I had nominated say Three Men in a Boat and it got the needs nods, it would be horror just because three people said so? I don't think so.

Really, we need to be sticklers for the genre for the monthly book. 22 people wasted their vote because a NON-HORROR book was allowed to be called a horror book. and that could have made a difference in the outcome of the vote.
Old 10-04-2010, 05:46 PM   #72
recluse
Banned

I agree.
I complained as soon as it was nominated.
If the publishers, booksellers and genre fans say it's not horror, then the nomination should have been dropped automatically.
Would have helped if more people protested, though.
Old 10-04-2010, 07:01 PM   #73
nimblem
Addict
nimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the rough

Device: Pocket Pro, Kindle Dx
I don't have a problem with the gene of the book is. If you don't want read the book since it doesn't meet the horror description then just don't read it....

Thus far the only thing that irritates me is that it states "The bell on the door announced his arrival. The sole waitress, Peg Culler, turned and gave him a smile" but later it says "Cindy Robertson was the other waitress doing time at Ma's Diner.

I know it's a minor thing...
nimblem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 08:48 PM   #74
Quake1028
Guru
Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: See signature
Maybe she was the only one there at the time? That's how I took it.
Quake1028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 09:06 PM   #75
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by recluse View Post
I agree.
I complained as soon as it was nominated.
If the publishers, booksellers and genre fans say it's not horror, then the nomination should have been dropped automatically.
Would have helped if more people protested, though.
I'm not sure if I protested in the nomination thread. But I did protest in this thread. And to be honest, because the Dexter book was allowed, I do feel that the entire vote is wrong and should be redone with just the two books.