Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: October 2010 Mobile Read Book Club Vote
The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson 22 25.88%
Risen by Jan Strnad 41 48.24%
Darkly Dreaming Dexter by Jeff Lindsay 22 25.88%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-29-2010, 09:09 AM   #46
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quake1028 View Post
I can't do 31, but I have these to read:

The Strain
The Fall
Risen

Should be a fun month.
That post is a short story in itself.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 03:19 PM   #47
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Wow, this looks like it should be a fun Book Club discussion month.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-30-2010, 03:25 PM   #48
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I wondered that myself. Would have thought that either Dracula or Frankenstein or both would have made Octobers list.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Three? ONLY three? WTH Happened this month?

Sheesh....

I may not have time to participate (not really a horror fan in any case) but given those choices.....I think the winner has Risen to the top.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 03:35 PM   #49
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
I wondered that myself. Would have thought that either Dracula or Frankenstein or both would have made Octobers list.
If you got read the nomination thread there were ALOT of books that got 1 or 2 nominations but one three that got three. (3 for 3)

Anyway... some months we get many books others a few. I just go with the flow.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 09:19 PM   #50
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
I was going to nominate Dracula, but it won one month last year.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-30-2010, 10:55 PM   #51
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
I was going to nominate Dracula, but it won one month last year.
I have read Dracula and it is so very not scary and very dull.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 12:12 AM   #52
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Strnad View Post
Once you know Seth, you'll understand, and you'll wonder why you ever hesitated. Welcome!
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 01:02 AM   #53
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Paperwhite
About the low number of nominations: There's a thread on the Kindle Boards forum (http://www.kindleboards.com/index.php?topic=30529.100) asking "Is there any genre you won't read?" I didn't do an actual count, but "horror" came up as often as anything.

I've learned with Risen how that genre label can really work against you, especially with a book like Risen which I wrote for a more mainstream horror audience rather than for hardcore horror fans. Stephen King is wildly popular, but many, many people who love King will not read anyone else in the horror field. (Maybe a little Dean Koontz.) I got a number of responses to the print edition of Risen (you can look them up on Amazon, the original book edition) that started out, "I don't normally read horror, but...."

This can be good, but it's incredibly difficult to market a "horror" novel to a non-horror readership! (Duh.) On the other hand, people who picked it up expecting a blood-n-guts zombie novel were disappointed, and it got a fairly poor review in Fangoria largely on that basis.

The horror element is largely psychological, even philosophical, rather than visceral. It's as much suspense thriller as anything else, but there's no denying the horror element and it does fit in that genre. I am afraid, though, that it misses its target audience by being a bit fish and a bit fowl.

Then there's the humor, and that comes from my ironic view of life. Humor and horror seem to intertwine in this world of ours. I think of the CEO of Segway who died recently when his Segway went over a cliff. What a tragedy, the senseless death of a good man, the people he left behind who grieve for him, etc. And yet...he drove a Segway over a cliff. You can't help but hate yourself a little bit for finding humor in that, yet there it is. Carl Hiassen could've written that scene.

Anyway, that might be a reason for the low nomination count.
J. Strnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 01:29 AM   #54
recluse
Banned
recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2
That's strange.
I find that hysterically funny and think it's wrong to fake compassion.
It may just be me.
Lucky world.
recluse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 04:43 AM   #55
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
I'm afraid I'm one of the 'I don't read horror' brigade. My own wee house doesn't touch the genre. I found Jan's *Risen* when I was specifically scouting for books in that catagory to see if I should re-evaluate my prejudice of forty years' standing.

Jan's piece knocked my socks off because it was so grounded. The paranormal element crept into a fine running story with stealth, in full camouflage dress. I couldn't classify it as what I understood 'horror' to be.

So I'm now unsure about 'horror' being a valid catagory in itself. What reading *Risen* taught me is that it's a far too generalised genre and merits further qualification.

And this is a retail-imposed convenience that also leads books in other fixed catagories to be forced uncomfortably into a single available pigeonhole. Genre-defining restrictions are frustrating to the publisher and confusing and often misleading to the book browser.

I wonder if, during the discussion, somone might come up with a realistic sub-catagory for a 'horror' book that breaks the mold. Perhaps a two-word phrase that could be used by publishers, agents and indie authors to more accurately describe a work.

The current system of tagging a title in several established slots is broken. Had I been running *Risen* as a BeWrite Books title, I would have been forced, for instance, to tag it: horror/crime/lit-fic/mystery/zombies/romance/thriller/political corruption/police abuse/psychological/etc. Each alone would be off-target; together they help retailers and online searches, but confound the potential reader.

Happy reading. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 07:57 AM   #56
Quake1028
Guru
Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: See signature
I finished my September pile on time this month so I am ready to start Risen today. Can't wait.
Quake1028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 08:34 AM   #57
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The poll is closed and a winner has _Risen_ to the top.

Get reading peeps!

BOb
Old 10-01-2010, 10:22 AM   #58
ManosHandsOfFate
Addict
ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, K3, Fire, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Strnad View Post
Remember, folks, a vote for Risen is a vote for living authors who provide DRM-free ebooks worldwide for cheap!
Is there a way to tell if a book is DRM-free just by looking at the listing on Amazon?
ManosHandsOfFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 10:28 AM   #59
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManosHandsOfFate View Post
Is there a way to tell if a book is DRM-free just by looking at the listing on Amazon?
Yes, something about if it lists "Unlimited" devices then it is DRM free.

BTW: You can get this book at Smashwords DRM free.

According to the InkMesh search this book is "secure" at Amazon:

http://inkmesh.com/ebooks/risen-jan-...y+Jan+Strnad++

... although it does say "Unlimited" devices. And it is cheaper at Amazon than at Smashwords.

BOb
Old 10-01-2010, 10:45 AM   #60
ManosHandsOfFate
Addict
ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, K3, Fire, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Yes, something about if it lists "Unlimited" devices then it is DRM free.

BTW: You can get this book at Smashwords DRM free.

According to the InkMesh search this book is "secure" at Amazon:

http://inkmesh.com/ebooks/risen-jan-...y+Jan+Strnad++

... although it does say "Unlimited" devices. And it is cheaper at Amazon than at Smashwords.

BOb
Thanks!

And it's only $2.39 at Amazon right now.
ManosHandsOfFate is offline   Reply With Quote