Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: December 2011 MobileRead Book Club Vote (Classics)
The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne 4 5.06%
The Iliad by Homer 7 8.86%
A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens 13 16.46%
The Murder Of Roger Ackroyd by Agatha Christie 9 11.39%
The Age of Innocence by Edith Wharton 2 2.53%
Lady Chatterley's Lover by D.H. Lawrence 2 2.53%
Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov 12 15.19%
Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad 10 12.66%
Catch-22 by Joseph Heller 11 13.92%
To the Lighthouse by Virginia Woolf 9 11.39%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-08-2011, 10:08 PM   #151
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin8or View Post
Don't sweat it, Nyssa. I'll delay reading it for another week.

I read A Canticle for Leibowitz as soon as it was chosen and waited a month for the discussion thread to begin. Lesson learned.
Good point. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
I downloaded the free version from the library here and it's good as far as I read, but I've ended up ordering "The Annotated Christmas Carol" to read (it's only in paper as far as I can tell).

I'm only a little ways into the introduction so far but it's quite interesting. For instance, I didn't know that at the time, Christmas as a fun, generous holiday had been on the wane because of Puritan dislike of its similarities to a pagan Roman holiday, to the point that workers were not even let off for Christmas. And that "A Christmas Carol" may have single-handedly revived the tradition that is continued today.
Well, I just learned something new! Thanks for sharing that Sun Surfer.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 10:55 PM   #152
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
I'm only a little ways into the introduction so far but it's quite interesting. For instance, I didn't know that at the time, Christmas as a fun, generous holiday had been on the wane because of Puritan dislike of its similarities to a pagan Roman holiday, to the point that workers were not even let off for Christmas. And that "A Christmas Carol" may have single-handedly revived the tradition that is continued today.
That really does give some context to the story. Thanks for that.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 02:35 AM   #153
Kevin8or
Guru
Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
19th Century Vocabulary

Fellow readers of A Christmas Carol, please help if you can. I've liberally referenced the dictionary, but the meanings of several passages still elude me.

Quote:
had a dismal light about it, like a bad lobster in a dark cellar.
Quote:
and up the stairs: slowly, too: trimming his candle as he went.
Quote:
It opened before them, and disclosed a long, bare, melancholy room, made barer still by lines of plain deal forms and desks.
Quote:
cried out, 'Well done!' and the fiddler plunged his hot face into a pot of porter, especially provided for that purpose.
I'm 45% through the tale. Forum members willing, I'll post a few more in time.
Kevin8or is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 08:11 AM   #154
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

"Trimming the candle" refers to the wick. He was removing the excess wick as it burned.

"A pot or porter" refers to a type of wine or sherry.
Old 12-14-2011, 02:15 PM   #155
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
"a bad lobster" - putrescence was often associated with a glow in the dark - from bacteria
"pot of porter" - porter is a type of dark beer
"plain deal forms and desks" - Long, unpainted and unvarnished school benches made of deal wood, or pine.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 02:28 PM   #156
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Some great resources:

"What Jane Austen Ate and Charles Dickens Knew"

http://www.victorianlondon.org

http://www.cockneyrhymingslang.co.uk/
Old 12-14-2011, 02:37 PM   #157
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
Some great resources:

"What Jane Austen Ate and Charles Dickens Knew"
I can't read it. It's not an ebook.

But thanks for those other links:

WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 03:45 PM   #158
Kevin8or
Guru
Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks Nysaa and poohbear for the explanations and links.

I thought the dark beer, when I saw "porter," but the language is so strange:

Quote:
the fiddler plunged his hot face into a pot of porter, especially provided for that purpose.
I envision a red-faced fiddler dunking his head into a basin full of beer.
Old 12-14-2011, 05:11 PM   #159
Nyssa
Series Addict

Beer? Oh. Ok, "port" is sherry, not porter - sherry
Old 12-14-2011, 05:16 PM   #160
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
Beer? Oh. Ok, "port" is sherry, not porter - sherry
:

Sherry, Sherry baby
Sherry, Sherry baby

She - e - e-e-e-e-ry baby
She - e - rry, can you come out tonight

(Why don't you come out) to my twist party
(Come out) Where the bright moon shines
(Come out) We'll dance the night away
I'm gonna make-a you mi-yi-yi-yine

She - e - rry, can you come out tonigh
(Come, come, come out tonight)
You-oo-ooh better ask your mama
Tell her everything is all right

(Why don't you come out) with your red dress on
(Come out) Mmm, you look so fine
(Come out) Move it nice and easy
Girl, you make me lose my mind

(Come, come, come out tonight).

Last edited by JSWolf; 12-15-2011 at 04:23 PM.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 05:29 PM   #161
Nyssa
Series Addict

Thank you for the Jon!!

*walks away shaking her head, chuckling to herself.
Old 12-14-2011, 05:37 PM   #162
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
Thank you for the Jon!!

*walks away shaking her head, chuckling to herself.
When we were on our cruse in October/November 2011 one of the shows was a group doing Frankie Vallie and the Four Seasons songs They were quite good.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 04:16 PM   #163
poohbear_nc
Now what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin8or View Post
Thanks Nysaa and poohbear for the explanations and links.

I thought the dark beer, when I saw "porter," but the language is so strange:

I envision a red-faced fiddler dunking his head into a basin full of beer.
Beer was sold in "pint pots" - essentially large mugs - so when the fiddler raised the mug to his face to drink, the mug hid his face from view as if he had dunked his head into the mug! Dickens has some very lively - and lovely - descriptive passages.
Old 12-15-2011, 05:02 PM   #164
Kevin8or
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
Beer was sold in "pint pots" - essentially large mugs - so when the fiddler raised the mug to his face to drink, the mug hid his face from view as if he had dunked his head into the mug! Dickens has some very lively - and lovely - descriptive passages.
Ah, voila! Thank you.

Tags
book club, december 2011, mobileread book club, poll, vote