Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 03-19-2010, 12:15 PM   #61
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
The HP slate is said to be coming out in June and it will be $400 ish. You might want to wait and see how that one is.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 12:17 PM   #62
Spirity
Follow Your Bliss!
Spirity doesn't litterSpirity doesn't litter

Device: Dreaming of a HP TouchSmart tm2!
Quote:
Originally Posted by weateallthepies View Post
Yeah it's definitely not a fiction reader, it's pretty heavy though thinner than I expected.

I'll use it mostly for textbooks/pdfs with the ability to annotate and make notes. I could see it being useful for people who need that sort of functionality for work, it'd be great for students though maybe a little pricey currently.

I have alot of textbooks/pdfs also and really like the idea of being able to take notes. It might be a little hefty for some, but I think I'd really like the screen size.....
Spirity is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-19-2010, 02:16 PM   #63
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spirity View Post
Thanks weateallthepies; although I thought I was set on an Asus! I've been waiting on the AsusT101MT to come out, but I've heard reviews that it's sluggish, and needs all the "bloatware" removed.

I'd be very interested in a review of this machine when you've got the chance.
I want to get this purchase right, the first time! so any insights on the pro's and cons would be greatly appreciated. What I've been able to search out, this looks like a super contender.

thanks in advance,
Spirity
Something to keep in mind, Spirity: Almost all "branded" computers need bloatware removed. Think of it as one big advertisement for the company you bought it from and their partners.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 02:30 PM   #64
Houndx
Groupie
Houndx doesn't litterHoundx doesn't litter

Device: A81 MID, Dell Streak
In this case, bloatware probably refers to their Touchgate utility. It's easy to remove and not really that big of a deal.
Houndx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 05:57 PM   #65
Spirity
Follow Your Bliss!
Spirity doesn't litterSpirity doesn't litter

Device: Dreaming of a HP TouchSmart tm2!
Quote:
Originally Posted by phenomshel View Post
Something to keep in mind, Spirity: Almost all "branded" computers need bloatware removed. Think of it as one big advertisement for the company you bought it from and their partners.
You're right, of course. I had to remove alot from my HP laptop, but it's even more important when you don't have the same kind of power 'under the hood'!
Spirity is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-20-2010, 06:13 AM   #66
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
The HP slate is said to be coming out in June and it will be $400 ish. You might want to wait and see how that one is.
The convenience of being able to use programs like cdisplay and not needing to buy an app is definitely a plus point for these windows-based slates that are on the way.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 05:16 PM   #67
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by nasser View Post
My tablet has 1024x600 resolution which seems to be the standard for almost all recent netbooks with 7, 8, 9 and 10 inch screen sizes.
What 7" device do you know that has a 1024x600 screen? Or even a 8" one (I am not talking about 8.9" which is almost 9"). They are generally 800x480 for that size device which is the next size down for wide screen.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 07:31 PM   #68
Houndx
Groupie
Houndx doesn't litterHoundx doesn't litter

Device: A81 MID, Dell Streak
Offhand, I can tell you the Viliv x70 is a 7" device with that resolution.
Houndx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 11:04 AM   #69
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houndx View Post
Offhand, I can tell you the Viliv x70 is a 7" device with that resolution.
thanks, I had never encounter that one. Kind of pricey but certainly the highest resolution I have seen in a 7" device. The Sony has high resolution in their 8" device (1600 x 768) as well but it is certainly not standard.

Viliv even has 1024 x 600 on a 5" device.

Dale

Last edited by DaleDe; 03-21-2010 at 11:09 AM.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 09:54 PM   #70
Archergal5219
Semi-retired semi-hero
Archergal5219 has learned how to read e-booksArchergal5219 has learned how to read e-booksArchergal5219 has learned how to read e-booksArchergal5219 has learned how to read e-booksArchergal5219 has learned how to read e-booksArchergal5219 has learned how to read e-booksArchergal5219 has learned how to read e-books

Device: Palm Zire71, EEE PC901, Sony PRS-505
NETBOOK TABLET AS A VIABLE EBOOK READER OPTION

Wow, you've thought about all this the same way I have! I do a fair amount of reading on my Asus 901 Eee PC, but I really, REALLY want a small tablet. I'm not sure the Asus you use is the right one for me. I'm holding out for a slightly larger screen, longer battery life and a slightly better processor at a slightly lower price. (When I dream, I dream BIG.)

But I like being able to have multiple ebook reader programs available. I too have been reading ebooks since Buck was a calf and I have lots of old mobipocket and ereader format books.

Thanks for the analysis!

Last edited by Archergal5219; 03-22-2010 at 09:57 PM. Reason: Fix formatting
Archergal5219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 12:50 PM   #71
weateallthepies
Lord of the Pies
weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Sage, Onyx Boox Leaf 2, iPad Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spirity View Post
Thanks weateallthepies; although I thought I was set on an Asus! I've been waiting on the AsusT101MT to come out, but I've heard reviews that it's sluggish, and needs all the "bloatware" removed.

I'd be very interested in a review of this machine when you've got the chance.
I want to get this purchase right, the first time! so any insights on the pro's and cons would be greatly appreciated. What I've been able to search out, this looks like a super contender.

thanks in advance,
Spirity
I've done some photos so I'll try and get something up soon.
weateallthepies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 12:12 PM   #72
Martin Smith
Martin Smith began at the beginning.

Device: Irex Iliad
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyGuy View Post
In fact, the ASUS T91MT specs are just exactly what I have been looking for, I just want it with no keyboard and with the screen mounted where the keyboard was. Overall specs on this device are great, it even has 2 SDHC card slots!
I presume that you're likely to have seen this already? http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10185351-1.html
Martin Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 07:59 PM   #73
mrkarl
Connoisseur
mrkarl began at the beginning.

Device: aluratek libre pro
I went and picked up one of these units today
mrkarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 08:10 PM   #74
tablettweet
Connoisseur
tablettweet began at the beginning.

Device: IPad 1&2,IPod Touch 4G, DXG, Kindle 3, Kindle 4, Kindle Touch
I think another interesting choice is Lenovo S10-3T “Idea Pad”. I know it is more expensive but It has bigger screen and a little bit better spec. What do you think ?
tablettweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 10:26 PM   #75
mrkarl
Connoisseur
mrkarl began at the beginning.

Device: aluratek libre pro
amazon says that one wirghs almost 6 pounds.......is that a typo?
mrkarl is offline   Reply With Quote