Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-11-2010, 07:52 PM   #1
Secret Agent Man
Secret Agent Man began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-600
In Dire Need of Workaround to Export Personal Docs with Notes Intact (Sony PRS-600)

Hello MobileReaders,

I have a conundrum I haven't seen directly addressed in other threads. I work in publishing and use my Sony Reader Touch (PRS-600) to both review and annotate manuscripts. They are usually Word docs but become RTF's when I import them, which is fine. I can read them easily and make notes easily, but the problem arises when I am ready to send the document and my notes back to the author (via email as a Word doc or RTF).

As many of you know, the annotations are not stored within the document itself. I can export them as an RTF list with page number references, but that doesn't solve my problem, because the page numbers it refers to are for the Sony Reader pagination (smaller format, many more pages), which don't directly correlate to the page numbers of the Word doc (I tried multiplying by the indicated factor and the numbers come out close, but not close enough).

Since the annotations are connected to the text strings highlighted, it seems the information that would place them exactly in the document must exist. Does anyone know of a workaround that would enable me to either export the document itself with the notes intact and in the right locations, or in some way merge the notes with document so they appear as comments tied to the correct text highlights?

If not, perhaps one of you generous geniuses has written or would be willing to write a patch to accomplish this, whether as an additional feature for Calibre or something independent (hopefully that laymen can execute). The publishing world would be eternally in your debt...
Secret Agent Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 12:17 PM   #2
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
I can think of a work-around but it is clumsy as all get-out.

You could convert the incoming document to PDF, annotate, and send that PDF file back to the author with your notes. Another variation, something can probably be done, is if you can keep original paginated page numbers displayed in the converted PDF (or any other converted format for the e-reader). Then you could note the original page # in your notes, allowing you to send the notes back with the original document.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-12-2010, 06:51 PM   #3
Secret Agent Man

Hi Penforhire, thanks for jumping in.

I tried it with a PDF but the result seems to be the same. The annotations I made on the reader are not viewable on that same file when opened in Adobe Reader on my computer.

The second solution you're right is additional legwork, but I don't think it will work either as, the original page numbers are only visible one out of every three screens or so. Also an unrelated problem: I don't view PDF manuscripts because when you enlarge the type, which you must do to be able to read it, the line breaks get weird and difficult to read.

Any other ideas? Maybe if I converted the file to epub and then calibre was set up to export it back to rtf or Word with notes intact?
Old 02-12-2010, 07:32 PM   #4
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Possibility?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Agent Man View Post
Hi Penforhire, thanks for jumping in.

I tried it with a PDF but the result seems to be the same. The annotations I made on the reader are not viewable on that same file when opened in Adobe Reader on my computer.

The second solution you're right is additional legwork, but I don't think it will work either as, the original page numbers are only visible one out of every three screens or so. Also an unrelated problem: I don't view PDF manuscripts because when you enlarge the type, which you must do to be able to read it, the line breaks get weird and difficult to read.

Any other ideas? Maybe if I converted the file to epub and then calibre was set up to export it back to rtf or Word with notes intact?
Convert files to ePub. Then download and install Sony Reader Library. Import to Sony Reader Library and sync with PRS 600. Then analyze and notate as required. When done, sync again with Sony Reader Library. Have authors download and install Sony Reader Library. Send annotated ePub files to authors to read in Sony Reader Library in one window with Word document opened in the other window.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 09:39 PM   #5
tnronin
Zealot
tnronin doesn't littertnronin doesn't littertnronin doesn't litter

Device: PRS-300
If sirmaru's solution doesn't work try this. russify the 600, make annotations, then screen shot them (one of the features of russification). I dunno if that will help, but it would put the notes in the correct location for the documents.
tnronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-13-2010, 07:40 PM   #6
Prince Hal
Zealot
Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Galaxy Player 4.2; Nexus 3 (wifi only); Nook HD+ (possibly)
Russification ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnronin View Post
If sirmaru's solution doesn't work try this. russify the 600, make annotations, then screen shot them (one of the features of russification). I dunno if that will help, but it would put the notes in the correct location for the documents.
What is russification and how is it done ?
Prince Hal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 07:46 PM   #7
tnronin
Zealot
tnronin doesn't littertnronin doesn't littertnronin doesn't litter

Device: PRS-300
You can find the thread on here somewhere. It will put several features on the reader.
a clock
page turning with 5678
screen shot or off with long enter

I was hesitant to do it, but it worked beautifully for my 300. If you aren't comfy doing it, don't. Do your research before you do it to make sure you are comfy. You may find the mod useful. HTH and as always YMMV

ETA: Here is one thread. Thread and another

Last edited by tnronin; 02-13-2010 at 07:48 PM.
tnronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 04:40 PM   #8
Secret Agent Man

Thanks for this Sirmaru, I think it would work but is so complex that it defeats the purpose of editing on the Reader. Also many of my authors would be unable to figure this out. And I'm not quite ready to Russify!

Any programmers out there moved to come to our rescue and write a workaround?

Tags
annotations, calibre, export, notes, sony reader prs-600