Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-14-2009, 12:16 AM   #1
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
Long train journey with a PRS-500

As is common in Australia, we are in love with outdated transport technologies that lead to overlong journeys at less than 100 km/hour / 62.5 miles/hour (in this case more like 60 km/hour / 37.5 miles/hour). Apparently the larger the country, the slower everything has to be..
As is the case with a planned rail/coach trip I'll be taking soon 14 hours of listening to the sound of a train and coach while reading with my Sony Reader!
I'm hoping the battery will hold out, but if it doesn't I definitely won't have access to a power outlet - even if I did, the only outlets on board the trains would be subject to power surges and would fry my PRS-500!
Can anyone recommend a 'external battery' device, somewhat like what they sell for mobile phones now, that will work with a PRS-500?
I guess it would have been designed for a PSP but I have yet to see one.
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 03:25 AM   #2
owlrigh
Bibliomanist
owlrigh began at the beginning.

Device: [past:PRS-700, PRS-505, PRS-T2] Now: Kobo Glo HD, Samsung G7 Edge
I had a quick websearch, and came up with these for the search term 'psp emergency battery charger':

Emergency Battery Charger For Sony PSP 1000 (Red)

24000 External Charger Battery for Sony PSP Slim 3000 (ebay)

Battery Operated Emergency Charger

I don't know how well these would work, though ... but they're out there, and PSP forums would likely have discussions on the merits of the different types out there.
owlrigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-14-2009, 08:29 AM   #3
kenmark
Addict
kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
There are numerous emergency battery chargers available for the PRS-XXX. I've seen some mentioned at MobileRead.

I believe one of them mentioned was this one:

http://www.gomadic.com/sony-reader-p...-extender.html

I found this thread:

Sony PRS-505 Portable AA Battery Charger

Last edited by kenmark; 11-14-2009 at 08:34 AM. Reason: Added MR thread
kenmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 08:32 AM   #4
notsure
Zealot
notsure has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-350
What you need is this!

Power Monkey!!

I have one and love it.

They also sell them with a solar charger but since I don't have one I can't speak to how well they work.

Cheers.
notsure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 08:39 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Why would you need any form of charger for a mere 14h of usage? That's nothing, even for a fairly elderly PRS-500.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-14-2009, 10:00 AM   #6
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
This was the subject of a thread here about a year or so ago. Details here https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31556
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 07:27 PM   #7
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Why would you need any form of charger for a mere 14h of usage? That's nothing, even for a fairly elderly PRS-500.
I've never been one for pushing my luck.. and the thing seems to be losing charge more quickly than it used to. I haven't tested it heavily though.
Old 11-14-2009, 09:58 PM   #8
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
If you're going to be on noisy transport that long, I HIGHLY recommend a pair of noise-cancelling headphones. They don't have to be the expensive Bose ones - I paid only $40US for a pair of Earhugger brand ones, but they make all that awful plane/train noise recede to a distant rumble. You'll arrive feeling much more rested, trust me. I wore them on my trip from the US to Australia and I did not have jetlag either way. It's amazing what a difference they make.

You don't even have to use them to listen to anything, just turn them on and relax.

Off-topic, I know, but I thought I'd throw that in.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 10:35 PM   #9
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by notsure View Post
What you need is this!

Power Monkey!!

I have one and love it.

They also sell them with a solar charger but since I don't have one I can't speak to how well they work.

Cheers.
I can second the Power Monkey recommendation. It comes with a variety of tips, so can be used for a reader, a mobile phone etc.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 08:18 AM   #10
AprilHare
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by khalleron View Post
If you're going to be on noisy transport that long, I HIGHLY recommend a pair of noise-cancelling headphones. They don't have to be the expensive Bose ones - I paid only $40US for a pair of Earhugger brand ones, but they make all that awful plane/train noise recede to a distant rumble. You'll arrive feeling much more rested, trust me. I wore them on my trip from the US to Australia and I did not have jetlag either way. It's amazing what a difference they make.

You don't even have to use them to listen to anything, just turn them on and relax.

Off-topic, I know, but I thought I'd throw that in.
Thanks for bringing that up
I have experience with train travel (Sydney is a large city and I often have more than a hour commute to work) and one of things I did get to make life easier and let me listen to my favourite classical music was a pair of noise-cancelling headphones... for about $7.50US - and they work wonders
Definitely getting packed, along with my CD MP3 player..
Old 11-15-2009, 08:27 AM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
I can second the Power Monkey recommendation. It comes with a variety of tips, so can be used for a reader, a mobile phone etc.
I second the Gomadic as it has a number of tips available for it. That would be my #1 choice.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote