Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-03-2009, 07:50 AM   #1
rhari79
Addict
rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: .*
PRS-505/700 in rest-of-the-world: Limitations

Hi all PRS-505/700 users,

I was just wondering: what is the limitation of using a Sony PRS-505/700 in places outside where it is sold?

Basically if i get a sony reader for myself or buy it for someone and it is used predominantly in places where it is not sold currently, what does the owner lose?

This question is easy to answer for a Kindle for eg., But Sony is little confusing to me.

Support, accessibility of books, sony store, firmware?

TIA for your comments.
rhari79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 08:10 AM   #2
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Warranty, basically. You can't buy from the US store without a US credit-card, but that's true about all non-US Sony owners & doesn't really affect things, as there are plenty of other sources of suitable books beyond the Sony store.
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-04-2009, 10:26 PM   #3
rhari79
Addict
rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: .*
Thanks gwynevans.

So that means that I cant buy books from sony's store. Nor can i access some of the free book offer/download i get along with the sony(seems like there are 2 new novels too). I am not sure if these are preloaded or need to be downloaded.

How about the new google-sony agreements etc., Any idea if being in an unsupported region affects one?
rhari79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 11:05 PM   #4
Bren423
Bren423 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 505 & iPod Touch
The warranty and limitations on where to buy your ebooks are the two main problems for me. I had a display problem after I dropped my first PRS 505 so instead of opting for a repair, I decided to buy another one. Which is a pity as the unit is in good working condition, except that it only shows half of the display.

As for book buying limitations, I finally solved my problem by asking for "Leaping Gnome's" help in buying Sony's gift vouchers. He so kindly helped me. Now, I can order books from Sony. I would have loved to order from Amazon since their prices are cheaper especially for new released hardcovers but there is no way around that. As for the free Sony downloads, I registered my Sony using my friend's address so I can do the free downloads. Since I did buy my Sony in the US, I don't have any qualms doing it.
Bren423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 11:05 PM   #5
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
You can download free stuff, you just need to claim you are in US when registering (simply registering doesn't require a credit card).
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-05-2009, 05:58 AM   #6
mcramer
Kiwi reader
mcramer has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mcramer has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mcramer has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mcramer has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iPad, iPhone
I live in New Zealand and bought my PRS-505 in the US whilst on a business trip.

Personally the only thing that was vaguely worrying was the lack of warranty but I've had good experiences with electronics in the past so it wasn't that big a deal.

As for content there is plenty of stuff out there that's free and plenty of purchasable content that with (or without) a bit of work can be read on the 505 (and more now that epub is viewable)

I've had mine for 18 months now, use it every day, and the only thing that worries me is being without it!
mcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 10:10 PM   #7
Arapito
Arapito began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Interestingly, when I bought my PRS-505 at Waterstones in the UK a couple of weeks ago, the salesman assured me that Sony in New Zealand would honour the warranty.

I didn't believe him, of course, but as I wasn't expecting to be able to claim on warranty anyway I just accepted his assurance and the conversation moved on.
Arapito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 01:33 AM   #8
sherman
Guru
sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Another NZ user here. Again, not much hopde of warranty if something goes wrong, and the Sony store is next to useless. Other than that I haven't had any problems.

As far as content goes, if you can get it from Sony, it can be got from Fictionwise/BoB. Might be a bit more expensive then sony store but buying from FW/BoB means I can (usually) strip DRM and format the books how I like for the sony reader (embedded fonts etc).

And the prices are STILL usually cheaper than what I have to pay for the exact same book in a NZ bookstore (if they even have said book in the first place - bloody whitcoulls and co. )
sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 02:48 AM   #9
salty_seadog
salty_seadog began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhari79 View Post
How about the new google-sony agreements etc., Any idea if being in an unsupported region affects one?
There is a very looong thread on this forum about this agreement, the basis is that you cannot use the free Googly books in the UK (for example) without installing the American version of the library software, I ahve been told that the two can be run side-by-side (UK & US versions) but I've not tried it yet. I don't want the over-priced eBooks I've bought from Waterstones to stop working!
salty_seadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 04:41 AM   #10
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
You don't need the UK version installed at all, the Waterstones books don't depend on it being there & you can get to the Waterstones store via a web browser, whereas you can only access the US store via the Sony software.
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 07:38 AM   #11
Curly
I need a holiday!
Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: PRS-505, ipod touch
Yep, I can confirm what gwynevans said. I have just the US Sony software installed with my UK reader registered to the US site. I have never loaded the UK software on to my computer and I can still buy books from Waterstones.
Curly is offline   Reply With Quote