Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Old 02-04-2009, 06:00 AM   #1
jamiepullman
jamiepullman began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Sony ebook library not working

For no reason, without having installed anything new onto the computer, the Sony software that came with my PRS-505, stopped working. It won't load, although it appears in the task manager as running. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling, no joy, and I've tried updating the software, but no joy, as the latest version isn't allowed in the UK.
Now, I'm using Calibre to download news and magazines as epub files, and loading them on with Adobe Digital Editions, but I'd like the Sony stuff to work.
Anyone else had this problem?
Cheers, Jamie.
jamiepullman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 08:15 PM   #2
jj2me
Guru
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -350; Kindle 3 3G, DX, PW 2; various tablets
Yes, mine crashed, I forget what I was doing at the time.

Thereafter, there's been no GUI. Task Manager shows the eBookLibrary.exe under Processes, but nothing under Applications. I e-mailed Sony, am awaiting a response.

A re-install didn't help. I didn't do an uninstall/re-install, just re-installed on top of the other one (had to stop the .exe process for it to take). I didn't uninstall completely because I didn't want to take the chance of losing my library. If Sony is no help, then I'll try that, after copying everything to a safe place. After that, maybe a restore point? After that, I'm out of ideas other than to return the Sony Reader (I'm within 30 days) and get a Kindle.
jj2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-08-2009, 03:22 AM   #3
glsmith7
glsmith7 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-700
I had the same problem under Win Vista. Working well, no problems, suddenly would not load GUI, but showing running as a process.

Restarting and reinstalling did nothing.

This finally worked:

http://www.kb.sony.com/selfservice/d...rnalId=C559635

Some files were corrupt. Follow the instructions, delete the folders, and re-install and it now works.
glsmith7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 02:52 PM   #4
jj2me
Guru
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -350; Kindle 3 3G, DX, PW 2; various tablets
Thanks much, it worked. Just to state this explicitly, you'll lose your Library on your PC. The library on my Reader has remained intact.

To get your Library on the PC to be the same as on your Reader, just select all the files from the Reader List view and drag-and-drop to the PC Library icon. Voila, back to new [wrong, see edit below]. Now if you like auto-sync'ing, you can make the appropriate check marks under "Reader" --> "Sync."

[EDIT: I don't think drag-and-drop from Reader to Library creates a good Library. I've spent two hours trying to move files from the Reader to an SD card, and it looks like my Library is somehow tied to the Reader's internal memory, so sync'ing is all messed up, and removing books is very difficult, with no logic I can yet decipher.]

Last edited by jj2me; 02-09-2009 at 03:23 PM. Reason: Seems dragging Reader-to-Library is not so good
jj2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 12:38 AM   #5
j7f
j7f began at the beginning.

Device: none yet
i have to say...
i'm in the midst of trying to get my free 100 books downloaded...
i know, i know...last minute.

but, i'll be darned if the sony ereader software constantly freezes on me and demands a task manager close then a reopen of the app.

VERY annoying.

running win vista ultimate 64bit.

ideas?
j7f is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-14-2009, 01:40 AM   #6
pkgreader
pkgreader began at the beginning.

Device: Sony eReader
Thank god for you guys. Going nuts tring to fix this, so am so happy I have found this thread. I'm going to try the directions and see.
pkgreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 10:43 AM   #7
Jill75
Zealot
Jill75 doesn't litterJill75 doesn't litter

Device: none
I too got mine frozen when I was downloading and after downloading, suddenly it wont load on my Sony. I try uninstalling and reintalling without success and was happy to follow the said instruction. IT worked great but scared the hell in me that my files will be gone.

Thanks for the link and this thread.
Jill75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 02:54 PM   #8
molivero
molivero began at the beginning.

Device: prs 600
Kill of the HP Net Driver

Under services Net Driver HPZ12 and finally after weeks - it runs... Thank you guys!
Maria
molivero is offline   Reply With Quote