Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-07-2009, 07:49 AM   #1
davers
Connoisseur
davers is kind to children and small, furry animalsdavers is kind to children and small, furry animalsdavers is kind to children and small, furry animalsdavers is kind to children and small, furry animalsdavers is kind to children and small, furry animalsdavers is kind to children and small, furry animalsdavers is kind to children and small, furry animalsdavers is kind to children and small, furry animalsdavers is kind to children and small, furry animalsdavers is kind to children and small, furry animalsdavers is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Sony Dark Blue 505
Battery and shutdown problems

Hi everyone. I've only had my reader a few weeks now, and I absolutely love it. Yesterday, I noticed my battery power was 1 notch down, so I decided to plug it into my computer. I added 1 book to my library, and I left it plugged in for roughly an hour to the computer. I unplugged it last night, put it on my nightstand, and brought it into work this morning. When I started the reader up, it shows I only have 1 bar of power left. Oh oh. So I decided to shut it off for now using the "Device Shutdown" under Advanced Settings. When I did that, it said to "Press MARK to shutdown this device". When I do, a stop sign with an exclamation point shows up for a bit...it says "shutting down" in the lower task bar thingy, then the screen goes grey like it's shut off. About 10 seconds later...it starts right back up again all by itself. Errr...what am I doing wrong? Isn't that actually shutting it off? I usually use the sliding Power switch at the top to shut it off, but I'm not sure if that was the right thing to do or not...Please don't tell me my reader is shot and I need to send it in! I've read more books on that thing in the last week than I have in the last couple of months!

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Dave

Last edited by davers; 01-07-2009 at 08:16 AM.
davers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 12:35 PM   #2
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Do you normally charge using that same USB port on your PC? It is possible for a USB port to be unpowered.

Using the sliding switch for daily use is fine. Most of us do that. I'd only total-shut-down the reader through the menu if I was going to not use it for a few weeks.

Can't comment on your odd shutdown behavior.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2009, 05:05 PM   #3
fry
fry began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O
Don't despair yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by davers View Post
...I unplugged it last night...So I decided to shut it off for now using the "Device Shutdown" under Advanced Settings. When I did that, it said to "Press MARK to shutdown this device". When I do, a stop sign with an exclamation point shows up for a bit...it says "shutting down" in the lower task bar thingy, then the screen goes grey like it's shut off. About 10 seconds later...it starts right back up again all by itself.
Hi Dave,

This is happening with the device unplugged, right?

I have a 505 with the shutdown hack (from the enter button) and before I did exactly what you did - without any problems. It worked correctly with both firmware versions, hack applied or not.
I'd say you're not doing anything wrong but don't despair just yet.

The only times mine exhibited odd behavior was while or after connecting to Sony's software. I just use calibre most of the time now.

I suggest you backup your books, charge it then do a hard reset (from the button in the back) and see if the problem persists. If not, just use calibre to restore your books and use Sony's sw only when absolutely necessary i.e. when connecting to their store.

Good luck,
Fry
fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 05:13 PM   #4
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
I would try a long mains recharge before anything else. Charge the device until the little red light goes out.
See this thread:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21337

New readers take a while before the battery meter calibrates accurately. I rarely charge via usb any more, but use either a sony recharger or a psp charger.

ND, the sliding switch is fine but the device will still use a small amount of power in order to conserve its settings. It will take about three weeks to drain a full battery. A complete shutdown is best if you aren't planning to use the reader for a while.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 01:53 PM   #5
davers
Connoisseur
davers is kind to children and small, furry animalsdavers is kind to children and small, furry animalsdavers is kind to children and small, furry animalsdavers is kind to children and small, furry animalsdavers is kind to children and small, furry animalsdavers is kind to children and small, furry animalsdavers is kind to children and small, furry animalsdavers is kind to children and small, furry animalsdavers is kind to children and small, furry animalsdavers is kind to children and small, furry animalsdavers is kind to children and small, furry animals

It seems everything is fine now....It charged up, held a charge, and now it shuts off correctly...weird!

Thanks for the help everyone!

Dave
Advert
Old 01-09-2009, 03:55 PM   #6
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

What a relief.
It does take a few charging cycles befoe the battery meter reads accurately. Perhaps it had just got flatter than you had supposed.
Old 01-10-2009, 08:34 AM   #7
davers
Connoisseur

Well...er....I had it pointed out to me that I sleep with my window open. My side of the bed is 2 feet from the window, and I had the reader on the nightstand next to the bed..in Michigan...in winter... I do recall that when I picked up my reader the next morning it was ICE cold! I'm sure that had something to do with the battery draining! I'm surprised the reader didn't get up and crawl under the blankets with me!!!

Dave
Old 01-10-2009, 08:08 PM   #8
BookishDreamer
Cultural Artist
BookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony 505, Kindle 2
Quote:
Well...er....I had it pointed out to me that I sleep with my window open. My side of the bed is 2 feet from the window, and I had the reader on the nightstand next to the bed..in Michigan...in winter... I do recall that when I picked up my reader the next morning it was ICE cold! I'm sure that had something to do with the battery draining! I'm surprised the reader didn't get up and crawl under the blankets with me!!!

Dave
On behalf of your Reader (hey, I'm freezing my circuits off here!), I humbly request that you consider a more temperate location for your Reader. Does your nightstand have a drawer? Perhaps you could create a warm little nest in the drawer, lined with a t-shirt, socks, and maybe a spare wool sweater.

Dreamer
BookishDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 08:32 PM   #9
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
you might also take a look at this thread. (dreamer is right : time to get knitting.)
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 06:47 AM   #10
davers
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
you might also take a look at this thread. (dreamer is right : time to get knitting.)
ROFL! A sweater!! It would be fairly easy too...considering you wouldn't need sleeves!!!
Old 01-20-2009, 06:27 PM   #11
Patricia
Reader

Quote:

Dave
See this Thread:
"Beware of the cold or your reader may die"
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36877