Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Announcements

Notices

Old 05-08-2008, 05:58 AM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
MobileRead improvements: Exclude forums, et al.

Are there forums that you never visit while you're here? Want to exclude them from your "Find New Posts" and from the "Latest Forum Activity" on our homepage? Well boys and girls, now we have the technology!

In your User CP, under "Edit Options", go to "Forum Exclusion" (or simply follow this link). From there, hold the ctrl key and select all the forums you want to exclude, hit Save Changes and you are ready to go.

Click image for larger version

Name:	forum-exclude.png
Views:	920
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	12690

Just to clarify, you can still view threads and posts from the exluded forums by navigating to them via our forum homepage.

Because this feature makes "Find new posts w/o E-Book Uploads" redundant, we will remove the latter in a few days.

Book Genres

As you may have noticed, we recently introduced genres to our e-book section. It'll still require some time to add genres to older uploads (we're going to write a tool to ease the process), but all new uploads carry a genre. And what would genres be worth if you couldn't sort by them? Well, now you can, when you browse our e-books. Enjoy.

Name:	genre-books.png
Views:	916
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	12691

Search BBCode

Wouldn't it be cool sometimes if you could link to search results by specifying the keywords in a post? Like, imagine someone asking for help and the best way to help this person is to direct him to a search query. You can do this now with the Search button which is added to the post editor.

Name:	search-bbcode.png
Views:	887
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	12693

We've invested some serious time into our software, but it's not until you put it in front of your audience that you'll really know whether you got it right. So please, let us know if something isn't working correctly for you. You can also leave us your suggestions on how to improve MobileRead, but please go easy, we're going to read every one of these and we want to make sure the bugs get worked out before we can start rolling out new stuff. Thanks everybody!
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 06:10 AM   #2
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic View Post
Are there forums that you never visit while you're here? Want to exclude them from your "Find New Posts" and from the "Latest Forum Activity" on our homepage? Well boys and girls, now we have the technology! ...
Excellent! Finally I can exclude The Lounge - way too full of unmitigated, unutterable silliness.

Seriously, [must...try...to...maintain...serious...face!] one of the reasons (there are others) that I really like this forum is all of its features and customizability, and the way you keep developing it. It's certainly one of the best, if not the best, in that regard that I've ever attended.

Good work. Your efforts are very gratefully appreciated.

Cheers,
Marc (Ahhhh, seriousness over. Now I can let my face go all floopy again)
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-08-2008, 07:47 AM   #3
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
thanks, Alexander, for all your hard work !! i really appreciate all the improvements you're making to this site. it was pretty great before, but now it's brilliant !! have some karma for that, with chocolate on top.

(marc : *that* is your "serious face" ? really ?)
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 09:36 AM   #4
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
(marc : *that* is your "serious face" ? really ?)
No, that's my floopy face. My serious face has more teeth.

Cheers,
Marc (the better to eat you with!)
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 10:04 AM   #5
aru
Likes to read on e-ink
aru is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle DX
This is a great improvement! I changed some settings, but I can not flag multiple forums for exclusion indiviual marking works fine, and shift clicking works fine. However, when I control-click it opens a new browser window and does not mark the next forum. Could be something with my computer, but if anybody has an idea, I'm all ears.

Thank you for a great forum!
aru is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-08-2008, 10:19 AM   #6
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
from Alex: Because this feature makes "Find new posts w/o E-Book Uploads" redundant, we will remove the latter in a few days.
I am not sure this is redundant. I might want to leave this in the list but still not include it in a search. Anybody else have an opinion on this?

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 10:37 AM   #7
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
I am not sure this is redundant. I might want to leave this in the list but still not include it in a search. Anybody else have an opinion on this?

Dale
It's a convenient shortcut to leave in the list. A one-click solution.

EDIT: Just tried it and sorry, it's a two-click solution.

Last edited by nrapallo; 05-08-2008 at 11:15 AM.
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 01:44 PM   #8
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Thanks everyone, also for the Karma. Much appreciated

aru, do you have any extensions (Firefox) installed by any chance? Maybe the default keys are reprogrammed to do what you described. Normally, just holding down the Ctrl key while clicking your mouse to pick multiple items should work fine.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 01:47 PM   #9
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
!! have some karma for that, with chocolate on top.
Oi !

That's my job ----
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 02:07 PM   #10
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aru View Post
This is a great improvement! I changed some settings, but I can not flag multiple forums for exclusion indiviual marking works fine, and shift clicking works fine. However, when I control-click it opens a new browser window and does not mark the next forum. Could be something with my computer, but if anybody has an idea, I'm all ears.

Thank you for a great forum!
i'm pretty sure that's a regular shortcut for browsers ; i use it regularly to open a link in a new tab (instead of right click > new tab) (ff 2). you might be able to edit the shortcuts in your preferences somewhere. EDIT : however that is only a conflict on LINKS ; i can select multiple non-continguous items in a list using ctrl+click, in firefox.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
Oi !

That's my job ----
i thought you gave chocolate creamed karma ?

not to worry though, i'm pretty sure you can never have too much chocolate...
Old 05-08-2008, 04:18 PM   #11
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
i'm pretty sure that's a regular shortcut for browsers ; i use it regularly to open a link in a new tab (instead of right click > new tab) (ff 2). you might be able to edit the shortcuts in your preferences somewhere. EDIT : however that is only a conflict on LINKS ; i can select multiple non-continguous items in a list using ctrl+click, in firefox.

i thought you gave chocolate creamed karma ?

not to worry though, i'm pretty sure you can never have too much chocolate...
I give all the chocolate related bits and pieces around 'ere ...

Now ... have I given you any cacao nibs ?
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 04:20 PM   #12
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
Now ... have I given you any cacao nibs ?
no, but i never say no to cacao nibs...
Old 05-08-2008, 05:26 PM   #13
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
i'm pretty sure that's a regular shortcut for browsers ; i use it regularly to open a link in a new tab (instead of right click > new tab)
Ctrl-click is standard for multi-select in a text box element.

You ctrl-click on a link will open a new window/tab. (Although I prefer middle-click to do that.)

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 05:29 PM   #14
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic View Post
Are there forums that you never visit while you're here? Want to exclude them from your "Find New Posts" and from the "Latest Forum Activity" on our homepage? Well boys and girls, now we have the technology!
Most cool. Maybe this will let me spend less time wondering what all those French and Russian people are saying.

BOb
Old 05-08-2008, 05:38 PM   #15
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Ok, so this doesn't work if you just click on the nodes... you have to drill down and exlclude each forum individual... in otherwords I can't exclude all foreign language formus by selecting "Non-English Discussions"? Would be nice if I could... this way, if you add one it is auto-matically excluded.

BOb

Tags
mobileread