Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-18-2012, 08:50 AM   #1
JoHunt
I am what I am
JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad3, Voyage
Penguin high price?

Ken Follett's newest tome "Winter of the World", which was released yesterday, is distributed in the US by Penguin. The ebook price is $19.99.

The same ebook is distributed internationally by Pan Macmillan and those outside of the US can purchase it from Kobo (prior to any discount codes) for $12.29 or £8 ($13) on Amazon UK.

Is there any reason beyond greed for the large disparity in price?
JoHunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 09:00 AM   #2
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Is there any reason beyond greed for the large disparity in price?
I fear you answered your own question.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-18-2012, 09:07 AM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Penguin is the King of high prices in my experience, more so than the other Agency publishers.

Follett's last book was priced at $19.99 in the US too, but it did make the 'best seller' lists in all the various stores despite the price.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 09:48 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The price of the eBook will fall when the paperback is released. Just wait a few months.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 09:50 AM   #5
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
yeah, right.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-18-2012, 09:51 AM   #6
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
^I doubt that. I can buy the hardcover for $21US and the e-book for $25.26US. Of course the important word here is can. The other part of me says it's a Penguin book which means I'm not going to read it at any price.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 09:52 AM   #7
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The price of the eBook will fall when the paperback is released. Just wait a few months.
It will be a year, not a few months. You're right of course that the price will eventually drop, the others fell to $9.99 when the paperbacks came out.
Old 09-18-2012, 10:13 AM   #8
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
It will be a year, not a few months. You're right of course that the price will eventually drop, the others fell to $9.99 when the paperbacks came out.
For me in Canada I'm paying $12.62 for Penguin ebooks that have been released in paperback. All the Jack Reacher (which I haven't read yet because of the ridiculous price) and Harry Dresden books are at that price. The newest Dresden novel is $18.59 on pre-order. The one before this was at $18.59 for about a year before it dropped to $12.62 just recently. And then I have to pay an extra $2 because I'm in Canada .

I also have to say that Penguin books are usually full of errors, or at least the ones that I have bought. Every Dresden novel I have has errors throughout the books. Misspelled words, wrong words being used in a sentence, missing punctuation, etc. They really shouldn't be allowed to charge so much if I have to spend my own time fixing their mistakes.
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 10:23 AM   #9
TimW
Wizard
TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK3G, KPW1, Sony PRST1, Sony PRS350, iPod Touch 5G
As I recall, the price of the ebook of Fall of Giants only dropped by $1 when the paperback was issued. It's only been within the last few months that the price fell to $9.99. I think the only reason Penguin did that was to increase sales of the new $19.99 volume.
TimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 11:17 AM   #10
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
Both the John Le Carre books in my Wish List have gone up in price since I added them. The Spy Who Came in from the Cold is a ludicrous £6.99 ("normal" agency price is £4.99 in the UK). Penguin are dreaming if they think I'll pay that. There used to be three of them in my Wish List - I bought one from a charity shop in paperback for much less.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 11:26 AM   #11
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimW View Post
As I recall, the price of the ebook of Fall of Giants only dropped by $1 when the paperback was issued. It's only been within the last few months that the price fell to $9.99. I think the only reason Penguin did that was to increase sales of the new $19.99 volume.
The mass market paperback of Fall of Giants just came out a couple of weeks ago IIRC. I forgot that there was a trade paperback before that & those often have pricing not that different from hardcovers where ebooks are concerned (especially from Penguin).
Old 09-18-2012, 11:27 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNefario View Post
Both the John Le Carre books in my Wish List have gone up in price since I added them. The Spy Who Came in from the Cold is a ludicrous £6.99 ("normal" agency price is £4.99 in the UK). Penguin are dreaming if they think I'll pay that. There used to be three of them in my Wish List - I bought one from a charity shop in paperback for much less.
I don't personally have a problem with that. Anne McCaffrey's eBooks are a little over £7. I think they're worth it, and I'm buying them. If you don't think they're worth it, don't buy them. There are plenty of other things to read.
Old 09-18-2012, 11:38 AM   #13
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I don't personally have a problem with that. Anne McCaffrey's eBooks are a little over £7. I think they're worth it, and I'm buying them. If you don't think they're worth it, don't buy them. There are plenty of other things to read.
What happened to prices falling after initially being high?
The Spy who came in from the Cold will be 50 years old next year.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 11:42 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
What happened to prices falling after initially being high?
The Spy who came in from the Cold will be 50 years old next year.
I was referring to eBooks released at the same time as hardbacks (as is the case with the Ken Follett book in the first post). The eBook will without doubt fall in price when the paperback is released. One might ask what it should fall to. The list price of the paperback of "The Spy Who Came in From the Cold" is £7.99; the eBook is £6.99. It's on the high side, certainly, but it's a damn good book, which is presumably why the publisher believes that it will sell at that price. If it doesn't, they'll probably lower the price. It's all a matter of economics.
Old 09-18-2012, 11:43 AM   #15
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
^Inflation. I expect prices to continue to rise. I don't expect or want authors to make less money per book than they make now. What I don't really like is paying more as a Canadian for an e-book ($25.25US) than a hardcover ($21.00US) when the e-book is really just a rental in the eyes of the Amazon terms of service. Hence I don't buy the e-book.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote