Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-11-2012, 11:06 PM   #1
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
It's war: Google + Quickoffice vs. Microsoft Office everywhere: most devices

By Mary Jo Foley | June 5, 2012, 10:51am PDT
ZDNET

Summary: Quickoffice may give Google a needed competitive hedge against Office 15 on Windows tablets and possibly iOS and Android devices.

"Google Docs has made some inroads against Microsoft Office, but not nearly enough."

"That’s no doubt a big reason for Google’s latest acquisition, Quickoffice, announced on June 5. Now the question becomes will the cross-mobile-platform productivity suite Quickoffice — give Google a better leg up against Microsoft’s Office? Quickoffice runs on iPhones, iPad, Android, Android tablets and Symbian devices. And Office 15, the coming version of Microsoft’s productivity app suite, will run on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows RT, Windows Phone and, perhaps soon the iPad and Android, too."

read more

SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 03:41 AM   #2
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
I'm pretty agnostic when it comes to word processors and spreadsheets. For me, the Office killer app is Access. If a runtime-cloud-enabled version of Access makes its way onto phones and tablets, a lot of user friendly data applications will follow. Here's to hoping Google drives that with this.
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-12-2012, 11:13 AM   #3
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizwor View Post
I'm pretty agnostic when it comes to word processors and spreadsheets.
Same here, pretty much. I like QuickOffice just fine, but if something else comes along that works just as good, I'll give it a shot.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 02:42 PM   #4
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Forgive a neophyte; What is Windows RT?
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 02:57 PM   #5
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKing View Post
Summary: Quickoffice may give Google a needed competitive hedge against Office 15 on Windows tablets and possibly iOS and Android devices.
At home I use Linux and OpenOffice. At work I use Windows and Office. On my tablet/phone I've used Docs To Go, OfficeSuite, QuickOffice. Of all the apps that I use I must say none eve come close to MS Office(Word/Excel/etc...). Not only are they robust and easy to use they work well together.

I don't think Google can compete with MS Office, nor do they have any illusion to go compete. My guess is that this purchase was a defensive move vs an offensive move. The threat of Apple or MS buying QuickOffice is real. And if any of those two competitors bought that product it would leave with sub par Office apps while Apple and MS have viable products*. I think they are trying to stop key apps from suffering the same fate Instagram suffered.

*Actually (Docs To Go and OfficeSuite) are pretty good products for basic reading and writing Word Documents but QuickOffice has recently redesigned it's UI which allow the creating of more complex word documents.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-12-2012, 03:04 PM   #6
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
Forgive a neophyte; What is Windows RT?
Windows for ARM based devices (such as tablets).
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 04:46 PM   #7
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
At work, I use nothing. At home, I use Notepad. On the go, I use Memo. I'm a document crazed monkey!
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 05:19 PM   #8
AndrewH
Fanatic
AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, & Kobo Mini
For personal use, Google Docs meets my needs.
AndrewH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 05:29 PM   #9
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
At home I use Linux and OpenOffice. At work I use Windows and Office. On my tablet/phone I've used Docs To Go, OfficeSuite, QuickOffice. Of all the apps that I use I must say none eve come close to MS Office(Word/Excel/etc...). Not only are they robust and easy to use they work well together.

I don't think Google can compete with MS Office, nor do they have any illusion to go compete. My guess is that this purchase was a defensive move vs an offensive move. The threat of Apple or MS buying QuickOffice is real. And if any of those two competitors bought that product it would leave with sub par Office apps while Apple and MS have viable products*. I think they are trying to stop key apps from suffering the same fate Instagram suffered.

*Actually (Docs To Go and OfficeSuite) are pretty good products for basic reading and writing Word Documents but QuickOffice has recently redesigned it's UI which allow the creating of more complex word documents.
I agree. This might only be a preemptive strike. I still like it though. I use primarily MS Word, Excel and notepad and their clones. What I want is to be able to just have to remember one set of rules
I really hate MS Office for Windows 7. It was too much of a change and you didn't really gain anything. I found the Office for XP much easier to use with simple and comprehensive drop down tabs, not all that crap up at the top that you have to weed your way through.
Old 06-12-2012, 05:38 PM   #10
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
At work, I use nothing...
We expect as much from monkeys, just entertain us for a few minuets and we'll be moving on to the next exhibit.

Quote:
I agree. This might only be a preemptive strike. I still like it though.
Me too I hope QuickOffice continues to improve.

Quote:
I use primarily MS Word, Excel and notepad and their clones. What I want is to be able to just have to remember one set of rules
I really hate MS Office for Windows 7.
Yes in some ways it is an improvement and others it's a hindrance. It took me a while to re-learn the new menus. Personally I've gotten use to the new UI and like it.
Old 06-12-2012, 05:46 PM   #11
morriss003
Evangelist
morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewH View Post
For personal use, Google Docs meets my needs.
I used to work in Word and then paste to Google Docs, but lately I've been working in Google Docs and pasting to Word. I have noticed that Google Docs will sometimes catch an error that Word does not and vice versa.
morriss003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 05:54 PM   #12
SeaKing
Frequent Flier

Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
We expect as much from monkeys, just entertain us for a few minuets and we'll be moving on to the next exhibit.

Me too I hope QuickOffice continues to improve.

Quote:
Quote:
I use primarily MS Word, Excel and notepad and their clones. What I want is to be able to just have to remember one set of rules
I really hate MS Office for Windows 7.
Yes in some ways it is an improvement and others it's a hindrance. It took me a while to re-learn the new menus. Personally I've gotten use to the new UI and like it.
The first Office I really liked was for Windows 95, and at that time I totally switched over from everything else to MS. Then there was a long frustrating meandering path to finally get XP which was pretty good, and now we seem to be wandering off again.
Old 06-12-2012, 06:56 PM   #13
=X=
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by morriss003 View Post
I used to work in Word and then paste to Google Docs, but lately I've been working in Google Docs and pasting to Word. I have noticed that Google Docs will sometimes catch an error that Word does not and vice versa.
Wow GDocs must be getting better, I never really much liked GDocs and would only ever use import my docs to it to use as a version control or backup.

Quote:
The first Office I really liked was for Windows 95, and at that time I totally switched over from everything else to MS. Then there was a long frustrating meandering path to finally get XP which was pretty good, and now we seem to be wandering off again.
Did you ever use the old Ami Pro word processor, now that was a real Word processor! Far superior to all Word processor at the time. Unfortunately they where swallowed up by several companies to finally land on IBMs hands to join IBMs legion of Undead software.

=X=
Old 06-12-2012, 07:24 PM   #14
5thWiggle
Benevolent Evil Lord
5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 8.0, Galaxy Note, iPad Mini, PocketEdge(retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
At work, I use nothing. At home, I use Notepad. On the go, I use Memo. I'm a document crazed monkey!
I thought this would be more your style:

5thWiggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 09:55 PM   #15
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thWiggle View Post
Ooooo... rolling paper note paper
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote