Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-22-2011, 04:45 PM   #1
Draexo
Draexo began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Kindle Organization frustration.

Hello
My wife is frustrated with her Kindle. She has about 500 books on it and it takes about a minute to put each one into a category ... that adds up to about 500 minutes or 8 to 9 hours!
Is there a way to do this with some third party software such as Calibre?
Thanks
Draexo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 04:51 PM   #2
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
Get the Calibre Kindle Collections plug-in. it takes time to set up the proper tags for all your books, but after that it's a snap. Even duffer me can use it!

here's how to do it right (not like I did it)

http://dearauthor.com/ebooks/using-k...in-for-calibre
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-22-2011, 08:39 PM   #3
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 2020, Kindle PW2
The calibre plugin works with each version except for the Touch. If you wife has the touch it is easier to organize them in the kindle for pc app and then import the collections to the touch.
nynaevelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 09:14 PM   #4
Draexo
Draexo began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
She does not have a touch.
I installed the plugin to Calibre. She called it a night though, so I think she is going to look at it tomorrow.
Thanks for the help.
Draexo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 09:10 AM   #5
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
I don't find adding books to collections all that troublesome on my Kindle.... I've only got about 30 books on it, but it only took a couple of minutes to add them?

Easiest thing to do is set up all your different collections. On the home page showing the titles of all your collections, move to whatever one you want to add books to, press the right directional button and select the Add/Remove items option. Then you just go down your list of books and for each one you want to add to that collection click the select button to add it. You can add loads of books in a matter of seconds this way.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-23-2011, 09:19 AM   #6
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
LOL I feel her pain! in Sept my son broke my Kindle .... Got my new one on Oct 5th.... I STILL trying to get the books in order on the dang thing! 600+ & Counting ugh
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 12:04 PM   #7
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by l_macd View Post
I don't find adding books to collections all that troublesome on my Kindle.... I've only got about 30 books on it, but it only took a couple of minutes to add them?
I don't think anyone would be having difficulties with this amount of books, but the problems start when you have hundreds of books with lots of collections. There are actually some of us who consider their kindle their clouds, so organization is a must, especially if you have a touch of OCD, as I do.

Nyn
Old 11-23-2011, 12:18 PM   #8
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2

Of course 500 books compared to 30 is a huge difference, but I was replying to the OP who indicated it takes his wife about a minute to add a book to a category. I said I'd added all mine in a couple of minutes.

It can be a slow process if you do it one book at a time to a collection, but if you do it by collection, and add a host of books at a time to one collection, it's a lot quicker immaterial of how many books you have.

Incidentally, I have all my books organised nicely in Calibre, far easier than having them all on the Kindle.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 12:19 PM   #9
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Its Not OCD its a matter of being able to find a book your reading!

Seems your wife ebooks could be put in PC then SYNC to that would work!

My problem is I have 325 eBooks not on my Amazon account [in Calibre]
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 12:24 PM   #10
wass
wass began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Sony PRS-T1
Hi !

In order to organise your kindle faster try to do it from the category instead of adding the book to a category from its infos. Get in your category and select "Add books". Its really faster as you will be able to check everybook you want.
wass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 03:28 PM   #11
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wass View Post
Hi !

In order to organise your kindle faster try to do it from the category instead of adding the book to a category from its infos. Get in your category and select "Add books". Its really faster as you will be able to check everybook you want.
Yes it is faster, but this doesn't seem to be designed for a lot of bulk editing. It was this problem that caused me problems with my first touch, and I was only trying to add 100 or so books to one collection. The Touch kept freezing and wouldn't accept the changes. Both users and Amazon CS said to do it in smaller batches, not an option when you have over 800 books to organize into 35 collections, and that is only a small subset of my library. One of my main reasons for upgrading to the Touch is because I wanted to be able to have more books accessible on my kindle than I had on my kindle second generation. I am sure this process will get smoother later on, it is only the initial setup that is so painful, but it would be nice if it could be more easily done, though I must say the kindle for pc app makes it the easiest to accomplish, at least for me.

But my way to work around this problem is to put all my books on the kindle second generation, use the Calibre plugin to immediately create the collections, sync the kindle to the amazon servers. And then import those collections into my Touch. No fuss, no muss.