Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-05-2010, 06:02 AM   #1
lili1989
lili1989 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle dx
kindle app? is it possible to design a app to full support PDF?

dose anyone know that ? i am waitting for that kind of app .

PDF is really important, and conversion of pdf is not a good idea
lili1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 06:02 AM   #2
lili1989
lili1989 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle dx
Device is kindle dx
lili1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 07:16 AM   #3
mowbray
mowbray began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
I thought Kindle DX did support PDF fully? I dont have one so havent tested it.

Interested to know what aspects aren't 'fully' supported in case I ever decide to upgrade my '2'
mowbray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 09:37 AM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by mowbray View Post
Interested to know what aspects aren't 'fully' supported in case I ever decide to upgrade my '2'
The Kindle 2 now has the same native PDF support as the KDX, although it is less usable on the smaller screen.

Amazon licenced Adobe Digital Editions for the Kindle, but it did not implement most of the features of ADE and several open source PDF viewers are more capable than the Kindle's PDF viewer. The missing features are just about everything. No table of contents, no bookmarks, no annotations, no global indexing (for search). It is also missing page reflow. Like ADE, it does not support passworded PDFs.

To answer the original question, yes it is possible to port a full featured open source PDF viewer to an EInk device like the Kindle 2. The Hanlin's (for example) used XPDF before they switched to Adobe Digital Editions. The iLiad had very good PDF support because its open source PDF Reader was extensively hacked by its user community. There is now a version for the iLiad that does reflow (pPDF).
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 10:02 AM   #5
Sischa
Evangelist
Sischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it is

Device: Nokia 770, Ilead, Cybook G3, Kindle DX, Kindle 2, iPad, Kindle 3, PW
Hmm bookmars are supported, aren't they?

And i am pretty sure i can search my PDF's looking up a special word for example, or what do you mean by "global indexing"?
Sischa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 10:12 AM   #6
mowbray
mowbray began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
no global indexing (for search).
OK. Do I now have the answer as to why I can search within a PDF for a word, but if I do a search from the home screen for the same word that it doesnt bring up the PDF document containing it?
mowbray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 10:17 AM   #7
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowbray View Post
Do I now have the answer as to why I can search within a PDF for a word, but if I do a search from the home screen for the same word that it doesnt bring up the PDF document containing it?
Yes. The global indexing only includes the metadata of PDFs, so you can probably find the author and title but not the contents.

Search within the open PDF is supported, and adding a 3rd party PDF reader won't help with the missing global indexing/search.
Old 02-05-2010, 12:38 PM   #8
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
No table of contents, no bookmarks, no annotations, no global indexing (for search).
There is global searching of PDFs. I pointed this out when the 2.3 update first arrived.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Actually I just tried a search of the word "battery" in the PDF of my Asus manual and it is searching though and highlighting the word as it find it, so searching does work.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 12:43 PM   #9
wallcraft
reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
There is global searching of PDFs.
Have you tried searching for "battery" across all the documents on your Kindle? If so, does it find the references in the Asus manual?
Old 02-05-2010, 12:46 PM   #10
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Have you tried searching for "battery" across all the documents on your Kindle? If so, does it find the references in the Asus manual?
I just did another test for someone on a another thread. I looked for the word "Hoodman" which I knew only existed in a PDF I had created. I the started search from the home page and it found the word.

Edit: I'm attaching a screen grab of the search results and the highlighted passage the search found.

Edit 2: Per your request, I did a global search for the word "battery" from the home page. It DID NOT find the word in the Asus PDF manual but it DID find 4 instances of the word in the PDF I created myself.

Edit 3: I owe Wallcraft an apology. I forgot I had a PDF version and a Mobi version (on the last page) of the same document. My search results were from the Mobi document NOT the PDF. Searching from within the PDF DOES still work.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hoodman passage.gif
Views:	489
Size:	4.7 KB
ID:	45060   Click image for larger version

Name:	hoodman search.gif
Views:	569
Size:	14.8 KB
ID:	45061  

Last edited by daffy4u; 02-05-2010 at 01:03 PM.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 12:55 PM   #11
S.Canton
Groupie
S.Canton began at the beginning.

Let me preface this by saying I haven't actually used PDF's on my K2, but I've heard that the support is actually fairly decent these days, and the DX support should definitely be up to snuff.
S.Canton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 02:06 PM   #12
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
When they announced Apps, they said no generic reader apps would be allowed.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 05:29 PM   #13
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
Just in case you want to see how well technical pdfs render on the DX, some screen shots here: http://www.matthewdavidwilliams.com/...the-kindle-dx/

No annotations is the major limitation with technical documents, sometimes it's handy to jot something on a page. But the vast majority of PDF tools are supported now.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote