Notices

Old 07-09-2011, 06:43 PM   #46
ptsenter
Addict
ptsenter has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kobo eReader Wireless
Quote:
Originally Posted by muranternet View Post
enTourage disabled it when ermine came out for no discernable reason aside from spite.
Pardon my ignorance, but I'm not sure what are you talking about: I use adb with Ermine at this very moment- no cracking, no root, straight after installation.
ptsenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 07:10 PM   #47
muranternet
Connoisseur
muranternet began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3/Sony PRS-300/Nook Color running CM7/P eDGe
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsenter View Post
Pardon my ignorance, but I'm not sure what are you talking about: I use adb with Ermine at this very moment- no cracking, no root, straight after installation.
Check the Android police post by jcase where or originally got root access on Dingo. he lost all interest after the standard bridge was disabled in Ermine and after he caught flak from both enTourage and the community. I haven't tried it again after z4rooting, so maybe it works now. Anyway, both jcase and robot swore off developing for the eDGes in the aftermath. Some of the arguments are in the eDGe archive.
muranternet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 07:33 PM   #48
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
Quote:
Originally Posted by pendragginp View Post
Agree that the poor battery life is a big problem. This is the main reason I find myself not using my pe as much. I can't take it with me and know that I can use it at different times all through the day when I have some spare moments without having to shut it down completely each time I stop in order to save the battery. Otherwise I love it. I did get an inexpensive wacom pen which works well and fits right into the slot. Has anyone found a way to help the battery life problem?
Hi Pendraggin!

From your description I am guessing your PE is running Dingo (Android 1.6). When I updated mine to Ermine I noticed a big improvement in power conservation with the hibernate function. Now I can close my PE and it holds the charge for days, instead of hours, and wakes up almost instantly.

Of course, maybe you already do have Ermine (Android 2.2).
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 09:22 AM   #49
pendragginp
Guru
pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several
Thank you Filark, yes I do have Ermine and the hibernate feature is a big help.
pendragginp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 09:28 AM   #50
pendragginp
Guru
pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcticmaniac View Post
pendragginp, where did you get the wacom pen? I'm looking for a cheap substitue. I have plenty of styluses lying around but none of them work. is the wacom stylus special? i'm not too keen on spending $20-30 just for a stylus especially given that the pe was only $125.
I bought the Penabled Tablet Pc Slim Pen by Wacom for $20.00 from Amazon. Somebody here mentioned it. I especially like that it fits into the designated slot perfectly.

Edit: Oops, I see that you don't want to spend that much
pendragginp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 09:38 AM   #51
arcticmaniac
Connoisseur
arcticmaniac can illuminate an eclipsearcticmaniac can illuminate an eclipsearcticmaniac can illuminate an eclipsearcticmaniac can illuminate an eclipsearcticmaniac can illuminate an eclipsearcticmaniac can illuminate an eclipsearcticmaniac can illuminate an eclipsearcticmaniac can illuminate an eclipsearcticmaniac can illuminate an eclipsearcticmaniac can illuminate an eclipsearcticmaniac can illuminate an eclipse

Device: entourage pe
Quote:
Originally Posted by pendragginp View Post
I bought the Penabled Tablet Pc Slim Pen by Wacom for $20.00 from Amazon. Somebody here mentioned it. I especially like that it fits into the designated slot perfectly.

Edit: Oops, I see that you don't want to spend that much
Given that its a specialty item, i might not be able to find any third party stylus. but thanks for the info.
arcticmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 10:08 AM   #52
Misfit410
Misfit410 began at the beginning.

Device: Pocket Edge
I should have done a bit more digging before purchasing mine, the spec sheet on the site advertised it as having a 1.5ghz CPU, I thought, wow, with that adding 2.2 might really boost it's performance..

I was not expecting a lot from it, but it's kind of useless, I did get a few google apps to work, the market just will not even though I'm rooted, I tried to get a tool to OC the CPU a bit, not many games are playable.

I thought that at the least I could make it useful for my niece who has Moebius syndrome and her tongue is too short to speak, if I just could set up one of the text to speech apps so she can type and speak it would have been worth the price, but sadly even those won't work on it.
Misfit410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 11:01 AM   #53
ptsenter
Addict
ptsenter has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kobo eReader Wireless
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misfit410 View Post
I thought that at the least I could make it useful for my niece who has Moebius syndrome and her tongue is too short to speak, if I just could set up one of the text to speech apps so she can type and speak it would have been worth the price, but sadly even those won't work on it.
Can you upload the app you tried? I'll see what I can find out why it's not working. If you decide to upload the app do it in development thread for 2.2 NEW. Thanks.

P.S. Sorry, I didn't realize it might be paid app. Don't post, but if you're willing to send me by pm I'll try to check what's going on. I promise to delete it regardless of the outcome.

P.P.S. OK, I believe I know what's going on:
these apps don't convert text to speech themselves, they send your text to a server, it converts it to speech and sends back as voice. To do that your device - in this case eDGe - has to have a cell connection. That's why they work with cell phones.
I read that PE with Dingo supports 3G modems - that's the possible route for you.

Last edited by ptsenter; 07-10-2011 at 01:03 PM.
ptsenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 04:24 PM   #54
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle dx; eDGe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misfit410 View Post
I should have done a bit more digging before purchasing mine, the spec sheet on the site advertised it as having a 1.5ghz CPU, I thought, wow, with that adding 2.2 might really boost it's performance..

I was not expecting a lot from it, but it's kind of useless, I did get a few google apps to work, the market just will not even though I'm rooted, I tried to get a tool to OC the CPU a bit, not many games are playable.

Running the CPU at a higher speed will shorten battery life and increase heat output to an unacceptable level for no real gain.

It does do text to speech, just have a look through the old archived forum for the information apps and libraries.
ivanjt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
entourage, ermine, keyboard, lcd, pocket edge