Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-07-2011, 07:20 PM   #1
fleaaaaaa
Enthusiast
fleaaaaaa began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS350
How does the 3G work?

Money wise I mean, I see you have to pay extra to get a kindle with that in the first place but do you then have to pay a network bill monthly for it too? Just wondering.
fleaaaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 07:44 PM   #2
ADuphily
Coffee Lover
ADuphily equals 42.ADuphily equals 42.ADuphily equals 42.ADuphily equals 42.ADuphily equals 42.ADuphily equals 42.ADuphily equals 42.ADuphily equals 42.ADuphily equals 42.ADuphily equals 42.ADuphily equals 42.

Device: Kindle 3
Didn't configure my wi-fi connection for the first 3 months I owned it - went 3G only for book downloads and browser use. Haven't received any bill nor has my Amazon account been charged.

From the Amazon page for the 3G/WiFi Kindle:
"Free 3G Wireless – No monthly payments, no annual contracts"
ADuphily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 08:10 PM   #3
Mario1up
Connoisseur
Mario1up has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mario1up has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mario1up has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mario1up has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3/G
What ADuphily said. You only have to pay the $50 premium. After that, there's no charge, no matter how much you use it. (Although, if somebody developed a hack to use the 3G in a way it wasn't intended to be used and you used that hack, Amazon probably could and would block your Kindle's 3G.)
Mario1up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 09:54 PM   #4
stickybuns
Evangelist
stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Paperwhite 2
Keeping in mind that my knowledge is limited to how Amazon/Kindle works in the U.S.: The only time that you'd pay is if you use the 3G to download personal documents that you've emailed to your kindle, but that's easy to avoid by setting the personal document limit to $0.00 and using wifi to download the document.
stickybuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 03:24 AM   #5
kranu
I <3 my Kindle
kranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Kindle 3G + WiFi
Yep the 3G model is $50 more to cover the cost of the antenna. Then, you can browse and do whatever you want for free.
kranu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 03:30 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kranu View Post
Yep the 3G model is $50 more to cover the cost of the antenna. Then, you can browse and do whatever you want for free.
It's nothing to do with "the cost of the antenna". WiFi also requires an antenna . There is a minor cost associated with the cost of the 3G radio, but the price difference is essentially a market differentiator for a "premium product"; the difference in manufacturing costs is minimal.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 05:02 AM   #7
avantman42
Wizard
avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by stickybuns View Post
Keeping in mind that my knowledge is limited to how Amazon/Kindle works in the U.S.: The only time that you'd pay is if you use the 3G to download personal documents that you've emailed to your kindle, but that's easy to avoid by setting the personal document limit to $0.00 and using wifi to download the document.
It's also worth noting that there are two e-mail addresses associated with your kindle: KINDLE_NAME@kindle.com and KINDLE_NAME@free.kindle.com

Anything sent to the @free.kindle.com address will only be delivered when you're connected via wi-fi, thus won't be charged.
avantman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 05:10 AM   #8
janvanmaar
Addict
janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3G, Samsung SIII
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
the price difference is essentially a market differentiator for a "premium product"; the difference in manufacturing costs is minimal.
While the latter is probably true, I doubt the former also holds - I would guess that there is not too much left for Amazon of the extra $50 after you take into account the data transfer costs that Amazon has to pay to AT&T and other providers around the world. Especially if you consider that people who do not plan to use 3G frequently would probably not get the 3G version. I would not even be surprised if Amazon was actually loosing money on the feature itself but then gained it back by (likely) better book purchases from the 3G devices.

Last edited by janvanmaar; 04-08-2011 at 05:14 AM.
janvanmaar is offline   Reply With Quote