Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 09-11-2010, 12:49 AM   #61
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Not counting things like public domain freebies, you can get paid, DRM-free, no stripping required books from Baen (mostly sci-fi but the Nightshade Press books are horror books), Smashwords (indie authors as well as published authors self-pubbing their backlists), Fictionwise (multiformat books), Bookview Cafe (consortium of several established authors). And that is just off the top of my head...
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 12:46 PM   #62
eGeezer
NE1 seen my glasses?
eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Nook Glowlight (following previous nook STR and STR w/GL)
Its great that Kindle has many other options beyond Amazon, but the only reason this thread took off on this obscurely related subject is because the OP said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessicalynn View Post
...I can download from barnes and noble, but also from sony, kobo, etc...
And the SP said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
I'm going to shock you... I can buy books from all those sources as well!
Thereby making the claim that Kindle can buy DRMd books from B&N and Sony and read them without format manipulation.

While we have learned here that the Kindle is NOT locked into Amazon as a book source, and even if they were, the selection and pricing at Amazon makes it a comfortable prison cell, no one would have responded at all to the SP if the post had said "I can buy books from many other sources, too."

Last edited by eGeezer; 09-11-2010 at 12:51 PM. Reason: There's always spelling and grammar to be corrected
eGeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 09:18 PM   #63
Meemo
Groupie
Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (1st & 2nd gen) & a Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_mchale View Post
Not true actually. The Jetbook line supports it, as does the Pandigital Novel readers (and of course the apps available for smartphones and iPads and computers). From what I understand, they will license the DRM scheme fairly readily, but currently Sony, Amazon and Kobo have seen little reason to give owners of their devices a reason to shop at B&N .

--
Bill
As the owner of a Kindle and a nook, I've had no reason to spend any money in the B&N store - prices are either the same or cheaper from Amazon. Being able to shop around is great for the consumer - as a business model, it's questionable. We'll see who ends up at the top of the heap in the end.

Same with library books. Yep, I love that I can put all 11 books in a series I just started on my nook from the library. There's $100 B&N won't be getting from me. And that's just the beginning - I've got a pretty good wish list going. Again, I suspect Amazon's got the better business model. Add that they generally have better pricing (aside from that lovely agency model) and better selection for me, Amazon gets my money for e-books.
Meemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 01:11 AM   #64
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemo View Post
As the owner of a Kindle and a nook, I've had no reason to spend any money in the B&N store - prices are either the same or cheaper from Amazon. Being able to shop around is great for the consumer - as a business model, it's questionable. We'll see who ends up at the top of the heap in the end.
Well, I suspect the B&N is hoping that most of their Nook owners don't own a Nook and a Kindle. That being said, if I did own both, I would be more likely to buy for the Nook, despite the price advantage if for no other reason than it would be easier to read the Nook books on other devices.

Quote:
Same with library books. Yep, I love that I can put all 11 books in a series I just started on my nook from the library. There's $100 B&N won't be getting from me. And that's just the beginning - I've got a pretty good wish list going. Again, I suspect Amazon's got the better business model. Add that they generally have better pricing (aside from that lovely agency model) and better selection for me, Amazon gets my money for e-books.
The library is an issue that book sellers have been dealing with for years. But there are enough people out there who won't want to wait until the book is available at the library when they can get it so easily at B&N, that I doubt this is a killer for B&N.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 02:00 AM   #65
Rebo
Groupie
Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: nook, nook color, kindle 3, Ipad 2nd gen, Nook HD+, Iphone 4S
Quote:

This is since the OP is requesting for info to buy books on the Nook.

Anynow, I'm glad that you're loving the Nook that you got from ebay as a second ereader just to read library books. It really beats the hassle and legality of stripping DRMs from library books for the kindle.

I've been reading primarily free books and library books on the Nook and have been loving it too. I've bought only a couple of ebooks that I really really like after browsing them in the B&N store. I honestly can't see spending too much money to purchase DRM restricted ebooks frome either B&N or Amazon. It doesn't make good economical sense to me to buy books that I don't own at the price that is sometimes more expensive than the paper backs. I can't read them in another reader or another device unless I have to install some apps or strip the DRM. Besides, I can't lend them, can't share them, can't donate them and can't sell them. Since I am not keen on reading newly published books or the hottest NY times best seller, there are always great free ebooks in the public domain and from the library to last me for a life time.
Rebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 03:48 AM   #66
bevdeforges
Addict
bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma; Sony PRS600B; Sony 350; Sony T-2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessicalynn View Post
I am so glad I did my research before buying, and chose the nook over the kindle. Instead of being locked in to purchasing from amazon, I can download from barnes and noble, but also from sony, kobo, etc. I guess I am a bargain shopper, because I love to shop around. I usually check inkmesh.com and then check and see if kobo has any current coupon codes available.

Do the rest of you prefer to shop around, or purchase from barnes and noble?
To go back to the original post, yes, I also love the ability to shop around - particularly because I have somewhat "unique" issues related to living in a non-English speaking country while being a native anglophone with ties to both the US and UK.

One small caveat, though, with Inkmesh. It's great for determining where titles are available and in what formats, but I've found that their pricing information isn't always accurate. Lately, they've been showing almost all titles available at Waterstones as costing $20 or more - probably some glitch in their currency translation software or something. When I check the Waterstones site, the price in sterling converts to far, far less than what Inkmesh quoted. But checking out the individual sites is part of the "thrill of the chase" for us die-hard bargain hunters.
Cheers,
Bev
bevdeforges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 04:08 PM   #67
Meemo
Groupie
Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_mchale View Post
Well, I suspect the B&N is hoping that most of their Nook owners don't own a Nook and a Kindle. That being said, if I did own both, I would be more likely to buy for the Nook, despite the price advantage if for no other reason than it would be easier to read the Nook books on other devices.

Bill
Easier to read on which other devices? There aren't a lot of "dedicated" e-ink readers that you can put B&N books on, certainly not Sony or Kobo. Devices like phones, PC/Mac, iPad, Pandigital - you can read from everywhere with each store's reader apps.

I'm more likely to buy from Amazon based on price and selection - as well as the fact that there are 4 of us on my account and we can all share the books.
Old 09-12-2010, 04:27 PM   #68
Meemo
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebo View Post
This is since the OP is requesting for info to buy books on the Nook.

Anynow, I'm glad that you're loving the Nook that you got from ebay as a second ereader just to read library books. It really beats the hassle and legality of stripping DRMs from library books for the kindle.

I've been reading primarily free books and library books on the Nook and have been loving it too. I've bought only a couple of ebooks that I really really like after browsing them in the B&N store. I honestly can't see spending too much money to purchase DRM restricted ebooks frome either B&N or Amazon. It doesn't make good economical sense to me to buy books that I don't own at the price that is sometimes more expensive than the paper backs. I can't read them in another reader or another device unless I have to install some apps or strip the DRM. Besides, I can't lend them, can't share them, can't donate them and can't sell them. Since I am not keen on reading newly published books or the hottest NY times best seller, there are always great free ebooks in the public domain and from the library to last me for a life time.
To continue to be "off topic", I suppose - I didn't buy the nook "just to read library books" - in fact when I bought it I didn't think there were any libraries I could access (free) that had a decent selection - there weren't any when I bought my Sony reader last fall & checked around. But I found one in my state that had changed its policy so I could get a card online instead of in person. Then someone sent me a link to the Free Library of Philadelphia - a $15 card will pay for itself quickly.

I bought the Sony before the nook came out, and before Sony went to ePub. Recently it came to my attention that while the nook could read my Sony, Borders & Kobo books, the Sony couldn't read my B&N books. I'd picked up the B&N books free from B&N over the course of a year or so with my iPhone app, but I don't much like reading on the iPhone. I had purchased a few books from the Sony store, and some freebies. I had freebies from Kobo & Borders. So it made sense to sell the Sony and get a nook so all the ePubs could be in one place. If B&N didn't add their own flavor of DRM on their ePubs I'd be reading them on my Sony.

Sounds like your reading tastes are similar to mine. I rarely pay as much as 9.99 for an eBook on Amazon - in fact last time I checked my average was about $3.50 (and that didn't include free downloads). I read so much more than I used to I'm still catching up and I don't know that I've ever bought a "new release" unless it was offered as a freebie. And now that I can get library books too - it's the best of both worlds. I'll still buy some bargain books when I see them, I'll keep downloading any interesting-looking freebies. With my EBHD (eBook Hoarding Disorder) I've got way more to read than I can probably ever read in my lifetime! I'm just glad the price of e-readers has gone down to the point where I can have one of each for less than the price I'd have paid for the original Kindle when it first came out.
Old 09-12-2010, 11:03 PM   #69
aagstn
Evangelist
aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3, iPad mini 2
Quote:
Easier to read on which other devices? There aren't a lot of "dedicated" e-ink readers that you can put B&N books on, certainly not Sony or Kobo. Devices like phones, PC/Mac, iPad, Pandigital - you can read from everywhere with each store's reader apps.

I'm more likely to buy from Amazon based on price and selection - as well as the fact that there are 4 of us on my account and we can all share the books.
Yes, but at least with B&N books I can put them on my nook or my Jetbook Lite and that is more than I can do with a kindle book. Also, I can take off the DRM and I have an ePub that works fine on just about anything but a kindle. I'm fine with DRM removal, but I don't like converting to different formats. I had some formating issues with some of my old ereader and mobi books and I would rather buy them ePub and keep them ePub.
aagstn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 01:59 PM   #70
notyou
Connoisseur
notyou can extract oil from cheesenotyou can extract oil from cheesenotyou can extract oil from cheesenotyou can extract oil from cheesenotyou can extract oil from cheesenotyou can extract oil from cheesenotyou can extract oil from cheesenotyou can extract oil from cheesenotyou can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle / Palm Pre / iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by caryanne2 View Post
what you are saying is not true. You don't remove the drm from library books. The scripts used for library books change your kindle ID into a PID like a mobipocket and makes it readable. The books are readable on the Kindle for 2 weeks from when you downloaded them. After that time they are NOT readable on the kindle anymore, just like any other device.
This is true of books that are in the Mobi format. But it seems that my local library (San Jose) and other California libraries (Los Angeles, Orange County, San Francisco), are buying ePub versions of ebooks far more than Mobi.

And so if you want to read those ePubs on the Kindle, you do have to strip the DRM and convert them to Mobi, and they *do not* expire.
notyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 02:30 PM   #71
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by aagstn View Post
Yes, but at least with B&N books I can put them on my nook or my Jetbook Lite and that is more than I can do with a kindle book. Also, I can take off the DRM and I have an ePub that works fine on just about anything but a kindle. I'm fine with DRM removal, but I don't like converting to different formats. I had some formating issues with some of my old ereader and mobi books and I would rather buy them ePub and keep them ePub.

yeah that is one thing that is overlooked by Kindle owners with these types of conversations beyond just stripping DRM. Formating issues during conversions.

My buddy at work has a ton of books he considers unreadable due to converting issues. Such as just one long paragraph for the entire novel with no breaks. Indentations are all over the map and in wrong spots and breaks up sentences.

It doesn't happen on every single format conversion but it happens enough where it can drive you bonkers. He basically now just has his mobi site and uses Amazon. He curses me whenever I say I just borrowed a library book.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 03:26 PM   #72
TheDeciderBoy
TheDeciderBoy began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
I am looking for a site I found today but can't remmeber what it is. I finally found a book available for the Nook I could find easily for the Kindle.

I don't rememebr the site name but I searched the book name and there it was with different format options EPUB, PDF, etc.
TheDeciderBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 07:04 AM   #73
ST-One
Addict
ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Icarus8, Kindle DXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDeciderBoy View Post
I am looking for a site I found today but can't remmeber what it is. I finally found a book available for the Nook I could find easily for the Kindle.

I don't rememebr the site name but I searched the book name and there it was with different format options EPUB, PDF, etc.
Fictionwise?
Diesel-ebooks?
booksonboard?
ST-One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 03:02 AM   #74
mlewis78
Guru
mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 (7"); HDX 8.9"; Ipad2
What can you buy in the kobo or sony stores that Amazon's store doesn't have? Why would I want to buy a book from kobo or sony rather than Amazon? Their books do not have lower prices.
mlewis78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 03:03 AM   #75
mlewis78
Guru
mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 (7"); HDX 8.9"; Ipad2
I have an epub reader for library books (Cybook Opus). I love this little reader, but the epub format is not superior to mobi. I'm always glad to get back to reading my free and purchased books on my Kindle.
mlewis78 is offline   Reply With Quote