Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-21-2007, 12:11 PM   #31
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
What is a difference between hard reset and soft reset on the reader?
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 12:23 PM   #32
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
A hard reset completely erases on-board (non-OS) memory, and a soft reset doesn't.

Other than that, the hard reset is harder to do (requires a Vulcan nerve pinch), and takes a fair bit longer to run.

If, on the other hand, you're asking how to do the two types of reset, the answers you want are in the Wiki.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-22-2007, 09:26 AM   #33
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Thanks a lot.
That's what I wanted to know. I didn't know that hard reset even exists.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 01:05 PM   #34
Laurens
Jah Blessed
Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.

Device: iPod Touch
Still having problems with the battery indicator. After the reset, it nicely indicated four bars. Great, I thought, but no, it dropped to three bars after I turned it back on a day later, without any actual use. Then, after charging, it dropped to two bars!
Laurens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 03:19 AM   #35
Laurens
Jah Blessed
Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.

Any way to downgrade the firmware? I never had any problems with the stock firmware, but ever since "upgrading" to the latest version, the battery indicator is completely out of whack. Now it says the battery is completely depleted, even though I haven't used the Reader at all since (supposedly) charging it fully last week.
Advert
Old 03-05-2007, 09:03 AM   #36
diabloNL
Gadget Force®
diabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with others

Device: Sony PRS-300 + Cybook with funny screen :P
This makes me worry. I had battery problems before the update. The battery lasted like ~500 pages or so. Now, after the update I can almost see the battery meter going down.

The problem is that I don't know if I should replace the battery or not ( if I can even find it).

Laurens, did you try to do a hard reset?
diabloNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 09:32 AM   #37
Aprilbeginnings
Guru
Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-500 /prs 650 soon
We can't all be tearing open our readers to put in a new battery.

I noticed as well, mine still goes down, sure not getting the amount of pages as sony states. That is BS IMO and if anyone gets that many page turns I sure would love ot hear about it.

Could you see a reader recall here???????????
Aprilbeginnings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 09:47 AM   #38
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I don't know how many pages I get on a battery charge, but it's certainly SEVERAL thousand, even if not the 7,500 that Sony claim. Since I last charged my Reader I've read the whole of a 2,100 page book, and I'm 500 pages into a 2nd book, and my Reader is still showing 3 bars on the battery meter.

Their claim is presumably under some sort of "ideal" test conditions, just like the "miles per gallon" claim for a car is made under the optimal conditions of driving around and around a race track at a constant speed, and bears little relationship to the way that you drive a car in the "real world".

I'm more than happy with the battery life of my Reader.

Last edited by HarryT; 03-05-2007 at 09:51 AM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 09:47 AM   #39
Laurens
Jah Blessed

Not sure if it's a hardware issue. My troubles started after changing the firmware. The original firmware went to three bars only once. Haven't tried a hard reset yet, though I've soft-resetted it every time after charging and it showed four bars.
Old 03-05-2007, 10:21 AM   #40
NormB
Definately Senior
NormB began at the beginning.

Device: eBookman,Dell Axim,PRS-500
I have the same problem with the battery level indicator after my firmware update. It will not show a increase of power level after chargeing unless I do a reset. I discussed this with a Sony rep on their talk site and his conclusion was "It may be a bad battery and you will have to send it in". As long as it works I don't want to send it off and find out I have to pay to get it back.

________
Norm
NormB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 10:23 AM   #41
Aprilbeginnings
Guru
Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-500 /prs 650 soon
Then Sony put out a lot of readers with a bad battery!
Aprilbeginnings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 05:09 PM   #42
jakeluck
Groupie
jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

2nd time full charge after the firmware upgrade. takes reset to get to full 4 bars from1 again,
jakeluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 06:07 PM   #43
KlondikeGeoff
Wombat Aficionado
KlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enough

Device: Fire, Kindle1, Sony PRS-500 Reader, Rocket 1100 eBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aprilbeginnings
I noticed as well, mine still goes down, sure not getting the amount of pages as sony states. That is BS IMO and if anyone gets that many page turns I sure would love ot hear about it.
Had my Reader little more than 3 months. From beginning only got about 2-3000 page turns, and quit keeping track.

After upgrade and reset, kept track again and this time got about 3500 page turns. Not bad, but far cry from 7500.

My Rocket eBook with backlight goes longer between charges. Ah, well...
KlondikeGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 07:02 PM   #44
Aerlock
Aerlock began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-500
I just had the same problem with reader. I hadn't charged it since I updated about a week after the new firmware came out. My battery ran down and I got the low battery warning so I popped it onto the USB cable overnight and in the morning I still had the liow battery warning. I popped out my memory card and tried again. Same deal. Remembering that sometimes the system can get too low to charge off USB I busted out the AC adapter and again let it charge overnight, this time with the memory card out of it. And guess what!?! I still had the low battery warning. So being the industrious fellow I am (humble too ), I came on here and checked the forums. Finding a link to the reset instructions on the wiki I gave the soft reset a whirl. Surprise! It worked. After a wait that seemed like forever as it powered back on, my battery was back again at 4 bars and everything worked fine. Just another long wait while it indexed my memory card after popping it back in and everything was good to go.

So far it seems like the battery may be lasting longer since the reset. I've not actually measured but when it "died" on me I had about 300 pages left in the book I was reading and I'm about 250 into the next and the bar hasn't moved. Before the reset I seem to recall the battery emptying faster, again no actual measurments but I noticed the battery being about a bar lower after reading a 500-600 page book.

I definately agree that the 7500 page turns is under optimal conditions, 7500+ page book, start reading on a full battery that was charged after loading page 1, never turning the reader off or bookmarking a page, etc.

Also something that occurred to me while thinking about my battery issue, are they ($ony) calling a page turn one change in the screen or do they include the black flash that the reader does before showing the next page? If they're just counting page turns by saying to themselves (fake numbers here folks, I don't know the real ones off the top of my head) the battery has 7.5 watts and it takes 1 milliwatt to change the screen once, so therefore we (by we I mean $ony marketing) can say it's good for (7.5 watts/1 milliwatt= 7500) 7500 page turns, then in actual usage it'd be more like 3750 if the black flash is is a screen change too. Less if you count all the bookmarks, menu reads, power on/off switching, etc. that is done during normal usage of the reader.

Last edited by Aerlock; 03-05-2007 at 07:06 PM.
Aerlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 07:16 PM   #45
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Based on the effort it took to get to the halfway point a few weeks back it would seem that I am getting about 7,000 page turns per charge. Since the Reader uses almost no power between turns my reading speed is not a factor in the battery life.

All books are in the main memory with no SD card loaded and all books are in either the Sony CONNECT store BBeB format or LRS format. No MP3 music or pictures are loaded on the Reader.

It seems that there are major differances in page turns between Readers -- more than we would expecct given normal manufacturing varriances.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote