Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-05-2007, 06:28 AM   #46
halljames
Zealot
halljames has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.halljames has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.halljames has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.halljames has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.halljames has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Apple iPad
Well Its just arrived via UPS, and I was shocked that there was no tax or customs to pay. I will probably end up getting an invoice or something through the post

My god, I can't believe how sexy it looks. It is sweet.
halljames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 06:33 AM   #47
Tenkian
Enthusiast
Tenkian began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by halljames
Well Its just arrived via UPS, and I was shocked that there was no tax or customs to pay. I will probably end up getting an invoice or something through the post

You lucky SOB, I had to pay £60 on Sat
Tenkian is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-05-2007, 07:06 AM   #48
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by halljames

Don't worry - they'll sent you a bill, I promise you . The way it works with a courier service like UPS is that they pay all the duties, and then send you a bill for it, normally with a hefty fee added on for the privilege. It will probably be about £60 or so.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 11:18 AM   #49
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT
You're a fellow Baen fan aren't you, Nat? What do you do with them?
Indeed I am, Harry.

My approach is a bit more involved, which is why I was saying if you're not bothered by the all one size type, you should go with it.

I open the RTFs in WordPad, look at the font size of the body text -- usually it's 12 -- select everything, and do the "ctrl+shift+>" trick to bump it up so the body size is 18 while the chapters and other headings keep their proportionate sizes (for a 12 -> 18 point change that takes 3 taps, not 6 as you might expect). Then I change the font to Arial, and the regional setting to Western (just to be thorough). After that I save it back to an RTF, and open it in NotePad and manually insert the meta-data line for title and author info (it's {\info{\title BookName}{\author AuthorName}} if anyone cares to know ), then I save that, and I'm good to go.

Once in a while I have to go back and do specific find/replace ops. I started reading Off Armageddon Reef and it had some peculiar character in its ellipses -- on the Reader it was showing ".█.█." instead of ". . ." -- so I had to get rid of that. And I replaced all the instances of "--" with " -- " so that the lines would break better, and it just reads better for me that way.

I've thought about doing a VB applet that would handle font face and size adjustments as well as managing meta-data in a single place (I'm looking for VB projects to do anyway), but I haven't had much time to mess with it yet, so it's not going anywhere at the moment.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 12:12 PM   #50
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
That sounds like a pretty straightforward approach - next Baen "release day" I'll try doing it that way and see how it works out.

Is there any particular reason you insert the title and author information by hand, rather than just using the "File/Properties" menu in Word to enter it, by the way?

"Off Armageddon Reef" is a great book - one of the best I've read in ages. I think $18 is a bit steep, but David Weber is one of my favourite authors, and I'd buy anything he writes. The price isn't Baen's fault, I know; the book is published by Tor, who don't normally do e-books at all, so I guess we should be grateful to have it at all .

Thanks for the info - always interesting to learn how other people do things.

Last edited by HarryT; 02-05-2007 at 12:16 PM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-05-2007, 12:38 PM   #51
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT
Is there any particular reason you insert the title and author information by hand, rather than just using the "File/Properties" menu in Word to enter it, by the way?
Yeah, there is: if you let Word have a go at it, the file size almost doubles. That shouldn't really be a big deal to me I s'pose, as I don't let a lot of things collect on my Reader (I take 'em off as I finish reading 'em). I have the space, but the smaller the file is, the more I can store!

I agonized long and hard about that $18 price tag, myself. The thing that finally decided me was the realization that I was going to read the book, and I was going to read it soon (as you say, it is by Weber). Once I realized that, I saw it as a choice between paying $26 at the store for the hardback (too impatient to wait on Amazon, you know ), or paying $18 for the e-book. Add to that the fact that I'm trying to get as much of my reading in e-format these days (both because the Reader has become far and away my preference for reading, and because I almost literally don't have space to put any more p-books), and the choice was inevitable.

The fact that I see encouraging Tor in its offering of DRM-free e-books as a Good Idea is just icing. I'm that hoping as they get more used to the idea, they'll get more reasonable on the pricing. I've been called an optimist before, I expect I can survive the experience a few times more yet.
Old 02-06-2007, 08:45 AM   #52
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
I also bought from bhphotovideo 3 weeks ago.
I paid £48 tax. It took 2.5 days to arrive though
Very fast!
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 12:59 PM   #53
Affenkopf
Affenkopf began at the beginning.

Does anybody know another online shop besides bhphotovideo? because bhphotovideo is currenty out of stock

thanks
affenkopf
Affenkopf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 01:29 PM   #54
orcinus
Gadgeteer
orcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enough

Device: iRex iLiad, Sony PRS-500, Nokia 770, BB 7200, Samsung i600, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Affenkopf
Does anybody know another online shop besides bhphotovideo? because bhphotovideo is currenty out of stock
Just a thought, but... Have you tried looking on ebay?
orcinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 01:36 PM   #55
NatCh
Gizmologist

e-bay shows five listings at the moment. Of those, 4 ship internationally, and the 5th thinks he's got a coupon in the box for $50 in free books, so I'm not sure I'd want to mess with him, anyway.
Old 02-14-2007, 02:11 PM   #56
orcinus
Gadgeteer
orcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enough

My seller wasn't listed as international either, however, she gladly agreed to ship the unit internationally after i asked. Never hurts to try & ask...

Also, you get more hits (some times) when you tick Location: Worldwide under Options. And try searching for Sony Reader instead of PRS-500 (you'll get about 8 pages of card readers and similar equipment, but you'll also get a few more right hits).

Just BTW, got mine for the store price ($350)
Old 02-15-2007, 10:47 AM   #57
Affenkopf
Affenkopf began at the beginning.

Thanks, found some readers on ebay, but they are at least 80 bucks more expensive than bhphotovideo, guess i'll just wait 'till bhphotovideo will get some new readers.
Affenkopf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 04:29 PM   #58
orcinus
Gadgeteer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Affenkopf
Thanks, found some readers on ebay, but they are at least 80 bucks more expensive than bhphotovideo, guess i'll just wait 'till bhphotovideo will get some new readers.
Do take a look on the ebay every now and then too while you're waiting... Cheaper ones usually evaporate as soon as they appear, unlike the $80 overpriced ones which tend to stay there for weeks.
Old 02-17-2007, 12:26 AM   #59
davann
davann began at the beginning.

hey everyone, been reading your posts for a week and finally decided to order a PRS-500 from bhphoto. got a delivery notice today while I was at work.
Arrgghhh post office office closed *sigh*
cant wait till tomorrow to go and pick it up. took 9 days to deliver it to Canada by USPS
davann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 11:38 AM   #60
orcinus
Gadgeteer

Quote:
Originally Posted by davann
took 9 days to deliver it to Canada by USPS
Wow... And there i was, thinking that 7 days from USA to Croatia via USPS was slow