Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-22-2007, 09:09 AM   #16
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Seems to be one of those things that some people notice, and other people don't. I just don't "see" it at all personally.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 09:18 AM   #17
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
The ghosting is more pronounced when the screen has been idle for a while. I'll fade some as you use it (after a few page turns, I mean). It doesn't ever really go away completely, but it does seem to drop to around the same as bleed-through on a p-book page.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-22-2007, 09:24 AM   #18
ultim8fury
Addict
ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS500, Looking at 700
When it was really cold over here during the winter I noticed on at least one occasion that the ghosting was worse. I don't normally notice it but it was quite bad. Like I said before charging it and using it, cleared it.
ultim8fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 09:58 AM   #19
Leaping Gnome
Evangelist
Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
Yes, the shipping and sitting outside in the cold probably made the eInk less responsive, leading to ghosting. Charge it up inside like fury said and after a few hours it should be warmed up and a few page flips later you should not notice as much.

I do see very slight ghosting on mine, but it is more like some lines are lighter than others, nowhere near readable and it doesn't bother me.
Leaping Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 11:29 AM   #20
evdberg
Enthusiast
evdberg can name that ebook in five wordsevdberg can name that ebook in five wordsevdberg can name that ebook in five wordsevdberg can name that ebook in five wordsevdberg can name that ebook in five wordsevdberg can name that ebook in five wordsevdberg can name that ebook in five wordsevdberg can name that ebook in five wordsevdberg can name that ebook in five wordsevdberg can name that ebook in five wordsevdberg can name that ebook in five words

Device: Sony PRS-500, Kindle Paperwhite 3
Well, the unit was pretty cold when it arrived here, but I didn't test it right away, I waited until it was fully charged (and a bit warmer). I will play some more with it, and just use it for what it is meant to do.

The ghosting gets less each time you 'turn' a page, so usually the 2nd next page you don't see the 1st page anymore. Still, I had not expect this. Obviously I should have read this forum more carefully, then I had been prepared. Luckily it is not permanently burning in, like the 'Game Over' in the arcades ... or network logo on your plasma ...

On the positive side, the build quality exceeds my expectation!

Thanks for your answers!

Last edited by evdberg; 01-22-2007 at 11:39 AM.
evdberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-23-2007, 05:21 AM   #21
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

To quote from the "Specifications" page of the Reader's description on Sony's web site:

Quote:
Residual image may show on display. This is due to the display characteristics and not a malfunction.
Old 01-23-2007, 10:01 AM   #22
eimert
Connoisseur
eimert doesn't littereimert doesn't litter

Device: Dell Axim X50v
Quote:
Originally Posted by gossip
Hallo everybody,

I just got my Reader shipped all the way from NY to good old germany.
I bought it at www.bhphotovideo.com, thanks @ igorsk for the tip.

It took just 5 days from the to hold the Reader in my hand. Shipping with UPS is pretty save and fast.

Right now I`m charging the battery an then start to upload some of my ebooks.

Hi,

how much was the shipping and did you have to pay import tax?

Klaus
eimert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 01:43 PM   #23
gossip
gossip began at the beginning.

Device: HP Jornada 568/Sony Reader
I paid $ 41 for the sipping and € 60 (something about $ 76) for tax.

At least the Reader cost me € 361,- at all. Not to much I think.
gossip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 06:42 AM   #24
halljames
Zealot
halljames has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.halljames has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.halljames has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.halljames has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.halljames has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Apple iPad
Well just ordered my reader from them here in the UK. Hope it arrives promptly. I paid £198 in total including shipping and am probably expecting about £40 customs I think
halljames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 11:34 AM   #25
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Probably nearer £50, halljames. You'll pay 17.5% VAT plus about 7% import duty. Of course you might "get lucky" and pay nothing at all - depends who the package ends up in the hands of. If it's ParcelForce they'll charge you about another £15 "processing fee" for paying all the taxes on your behalf too, unfortunately.
Old 02-01-2007, 04:20 PM   #26
Tenkian
Enthusiast
Tenkian began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-500
I have also just ordered a Sony Reader today from the same store. Will the AC power adapter work on our UK 240v? I'm assuming it's got a power brick like a laptop that accepts 120-240v and the plug and cable can be disconnected.

I'll cross my fingers that HM Customs don't charge me a fortune.
Tenkian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 05:02 PM   #27
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
It has an international-rated mini-brick power supply with a standard figure-8 wall connector, all you'll need is an adapter, or a replacement for the figure-8 cord.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 05:38 PM   #28
ultim8fury
Addict
ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS500, Looking at 700
Welcome Tenkian, As Natch said it works fine over here. Personally I've yet to use the power brick though because it charges from USB unless the battery is completely dead.
ultim8fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 02:50 AM   #29
Tenkian
Enthusiast
Tenkian began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Thanks guys. Really looking forward to getting it now. I keep checking up on the UPS shipping tracker, it's in Philadelphia now.

Anyone choose UPS and had it shipped to the UK? I'm hoping that UPS will pick the parcel up here instead of ParcelFarce.
Tenkian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 05:30 AM   #30
halljames
Zealot
halljames has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.halljames has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.halljames has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.halljames has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.halljames has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Apple iPad
Hey Tenkian, mine is also in Philadelphia, our Readers will be travelling together. Sweet.

I hope at some point the tracking info will give me an indication of delivery date cos if it does, I can take a day off work so that I dont get any hassle trying to get my package. Known my luck, they will deliver while I am at work, and take it back to the depot or something. The Buggers.
halljames is offline   Reply With Quote