Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-06-2010, 11:00 AM   #1
Mary McDonald
Mary McDonald can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Mary McDonald can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Mary McDonald can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Mary McDonald can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Mary McDonald can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Mary McDonald can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Mary McDonald can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Mary McDonald can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Mary McDonald can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Mary McDonald can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Mary McDonald can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: kindle app for pc
E-Reader with Mirasol technology

I've seen the videos for this and I can't wait to see it when it's implemented in an e-reader. Has anyone else seen the videos on youtube? It's rumored that the next Kindle will use this, but I haven't found any confirmation. The link below has more info on the technology as well as a video of a prototype. Heck, I'd buy the prototype right now if it was on the market. lol

http://technabob.com/blog/2010/07/06...eader-display/
Mary McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 11:07 AM   #2
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Now that looks nice .... Thanks Mary
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-06-2010, 11:34 AM   #3
DannyElfman
Groupie
DannyElfman will become famous soon enoughDannyElfman will become famous soon enoughDannyElfman will become famous soon enoughDannyElfman will become famous soon enoughDannyElfman will become famous soon enoughDannyElfman will become famous soon enough

Device: Samsung E60
Fall 2010 for the first device ?? If only this could be true ...
DannyElfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 11:49 AM   #4
BenLee
eReader Junkie
BenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle + Sony
Wow I just drooled a little

Color eReaders will are going to be incredible. Easy on the eyes, and video support possibly as well.

I would get it just as an alternative to use for browsing the web. I spend so many hours on the web, color eReaders would save my eyes like nothing else can.
BenLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 12:00 PM   #5
mike_bike_kite
Digitally confused
mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, K2i, Nexus 7 32gb, Kobo Mini
It would be nice to know :
  • an idea of cost (this bit is important)?
  • any comparison to e-ink battery life?
  • is it easy to make larger screens?
  • what style of OS would they use (ereader, tablet or pc)?
it looks like the future now.

Want
mike_bike_kite is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-06-2010, 12:06 PM   #6
cmdahler
Addict
cmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notes

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
This article is just a rehash of everything Mirasol presented in January, including the bit about a Fall 2010 reader device. Not much chance of that happening now or you'd have heard more about it by now.

Big question: what are the first generation Mirasol displays going to have in the way of contrast and dpi? What would be the largest screen size?
cmdahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 04:17 PM   #7
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Yep, there's nothing new in this. Everything in that article and more can be found in posts that have been around here for a while. A cursory search will show quite a bit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdahler View Post
Big question: what are the first generation Mirasol displays going to have in the way of contrast and dpi? What would be the largest screen size?
There's been a little numbers fudging with regard to contrast and reflectance that I've seen, but the initial 5.7" display is supposedly at 1024x768, which is a little over 220ppi.

Last edited by LDBoblo; 07-06-2010 at 04:19 PM.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 04:44 PM   #8
Mary McDonald
Mary McDonald can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Mary McDonald can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Mary McDonald can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Mary McDonald can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Mary McDonald can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Mary McDonald can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Mary McDonald can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Mary McDonald can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Mary McDonald can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Mary McDonald can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Mary McDonald can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_bike_kite View Post

Want
Battery life is supposed to be comparable to a Kindle. I blogged about the device a month or so ago and so I had done some research. Bottom line, compared to an iPad, the energy requirements were much lower. I'm sure watching video would take more than reading though.

I imagine the cost would be in the high end of the e-readers, and if it's in the new Kindle, probably what the DX used to cost before they dropped the price. (they did drop it, didn't they? I can't recall for sure)

I have no idea about the rest as the marketing lady was kind of secretive, I thought. Possibly because she's not supposed to leak info on who the buyer of the technology was. If it's a big name like Amazon, I'm sure they want to be the ones to make the announcement. I also think the 'fall of 2010' was a bit optimistic. However, maybe closer to Christmas? Or next spring?
Old 07-06-2010, 05:18 PM   #9
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Wow, that looks fantastic! I agree with you that Fall 2010 DOES sound a little too optimistic.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 10:54 PM   #10
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinandgreek View Post
Wow, that looks fantastic! I agree with you that Fall 2010 DOES sound a little too optimistic.
I might get one once they have screen sizes of 10" or so. But not 5.7".
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 11:09 PM   #11
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
Same here. Where a color screen would interest me a large screen would be a must. I'm fine with a 5"-6" grayscale device for fiction.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 02:01 AM   #12
SkyDream
Wizard
SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.

Device: PRS-650, iPod touch 4G, iPad 3
Me too.
There are many 5"-6" devices available.
I'm looking forward for 10" or bigger for magazine reading.
SkyDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 02:26 AM   #13
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_bike_kite View Post

Want
Battery life is supposed to be better than e-ink...

http://www.mirasoldisplays.com/files...8-10_FINAL.pdf

(thanks ereaders.nl for the link)
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 04:14 PM   #14
Mary McDonald

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
I don't think the size shown is meant to represent the ones that will go to market. I think that's just a demo one made my Mirasol/Qualcomm to show how it works. I read that they are looking to license the technology, not make the actual e-readers.
Old 07-07-2010, 05:04 PM   #15
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary McDonald View Post
I don't think the size shown is meant to represent the ones that will go to market. I think that's just a demo one made my Mirasol/Qualcomm to show how it works. I read that they are looking to license the technology, not make the actual e-readers.
The screen is their initial model that they intend to bring to market. The chassis it's in is demo only, but the 5.7" screen is (or at least was) their base product.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote